CSU's using CAASP Test Scores for Admission

My son was working on his CSU application and it asked if he would…

“authorize the California Department of Education to release my California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) score report to the California State University for the purpose of credit, placement, determination of readiness for college-level coursework, or admission.”

His school didn’t take the CAASP test last year because of COVID. His only scores are from middle school. Are they going to use his middle school scores? How is this any more fair than people not being able to take the ACT/SAT? He has an ACT score from 10th grade.

We saw that pop up too and I was surprised. I don’t think my son took that either, but we are going to check with his counselor to see if she knows what this is about.

1 Like

Hello @ Sactomom21 and @collegecrazy21, how did you proceed on the CSU app?
Please share what you found from your counselors.

S22 has to take CAASPP this year. Earlier we never paid that much attention to this testing. Now we are wondering if CSUs use these scores to determine eligibilty in lieu of the SAT/ACT scores. There is not much information available on the Cal state website except that they are going to be test blind for the fall 2022 admission adn the CAASPP scores willl be used for english and math placement for the incoming freshman. Thank you in advance!

The Cal States dropped the EPT and ELM placement tests for Math and English for in-coming Freshman a couple of years ago. Instead they are using the CAASPP exam for placement. For admissions, they will continue to rely on the grades in these courses over the exam.

Several of the Cal States have come up with a modified admission index which includes an emphasis on English and Math HS grades. ie. SJSU and CSULB

SDSU has not followed suit by including an admission index but for Fall 2022, they may consider this option.

Thank you @Gumbymom! Given SJSU is a state school, I am assuming that they will follow this criterion for the fall 2022 admission cycle also. or at least until UCs figure out what the SAT replacement is.

2 Likes

One more question @Gumbymom, does SJSU consider the 9th grade GPA also, just from the 10th and 11th grade just like UCs advertise.

No, the CSU’s still only consider 10-11th grades for the CSU GPA (exception Cal Poly SLO) as of now. Things could always change but all campuses still review 9th grades to make sure the a-g course requirements are met.

Thanks a ton!

You can find the CSU GPA calculator here. Note that they include summer after 9th grade.

We agreed and authorize the CSU system to look at those scores. I also asked my sons hs counselor about it and she said she didn’t know why they would want it either but it was a non issue for my son as he hadn’t taken it. I seriously doubt they would pull the old middle score test results as those would not give an accurate assessment. My son had taken AP Calculus and AP English classes, and scored well on the tests so those have fulfilled his freshman English and Math requirements and I would guess they wouldn’t even have needed the CSAAPP scores anyway because of that.

1 Like

The Cal States dropped the EPT and ELM placement tests for Math and English for in-coming Freshman a couple of years ago. Instead they are using the CAASPP exam for placement. For admissions, they will continue to rely on the grades in these courses over the exam.

I wanted to help clarify – Smarter Balanced/EAP (i.e. CAASPP) scores are only one of the multiple-measures the CSU’s use to place students in Freshman math and english courses, after they’re admitted (i.e. it’s not part of the admission decision). It’s not the only measure used, and students can be placed based on other measures, whichever places them the highest, e.g. AP scores, HS GPA, Math GPA, years of math or english coursework, etc.

It stems from the EO 1110 policy changes regarding freshman math/english placement implemented in 2017. More info can be found if you Google “CSU EO 1110”.

Now we are wondering if CSUs use these scores to determine eligibilty in lieu of the SAT/ACT scores.

No, the CSU’s are not using CAASPP for admission decisions, just to help place Freshmen in the appropriate level math and english courses once they enroll, if applicable. Whether these scores would come into play depends on how the student ranks in the other multiple measures, e.g. HS GPA, math or english GPA, AP scores, years of coursework in those respective subject areas, etc.

1 Like

Thank you SimonsonB! I will google CSU EO110

@Gumbymom
how do you send CAASPP scores to college now for placement.

thanks

There was an option on the Cal state application to send scores.

CAASPP Results Release Statement
This certification only applies to first-time freshmen. Select if you want to release your California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) score report to the California State University (CSU).

If the option was not checked on the application, then I would check with your HS GC.

1 Like