Current Junior at Purdue- Any Questions about Purdue?

<p>Wow, I’m dumb. xD</p>

<p>Yes, there are a lot of Chinese students, professors, and TA’s. You shouldn’t have too much trouble at all! Is your main language Mandarin or a smaller dialect?</p>

<p>Work hard and you’ll be successful, don’t worry. And it’s always great to practice English, talking with new people!</p>

<p>If you love chemistry then you should find learning all the chemical terms in another language interesting and it should be simple for you. Do not worry or be nervous instead be confident and curious. Scientific English is very easy when you are proficient in common English.</p>

<p>Contact your advisor as he/she may recommend general studies courses that would smooth your transition.</p>

<p>Bjunior92</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help. Do you have any advice on this course - CS23500. I am an incoming business undergrad at Krannert. Is this course simple, medium or difficult? What kind of work is required? I am reasonably computer savvy, build my own websites, use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint a lot…would you consider it an easy A for someone with this background. Any advice on which professors or sections to take or avoid?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share from your or your friend’s experiences…</p>

<p>I’m an incoming freshman at Purdue and I’ve already registered for courses this semester.</p>

<p>For future semesters does registration occur ONLY by class standing, or does the number a credit hours a student has matter? For example, would a sophomore with 40 hours get to register a little earlier than a sophomore with only 35 hours.</p>

<p>I’m asking because I earned duel credit in high school with a local college (6 hours), and I want to know if I should try to get the courses to transfer to Purdue. (the classes have no benefit to me other than for credit hours).</p>

<p>I’m sorry if this question has already been asked? First question…</p>

<p>1) I was wondering which test Purdue likes to see? I have taken the ACT and got a 30. I have only taken the math and Bio SAT Subject test and got a 680 for each. Should I take the actual SAT or is my ACT enough. Also, is my ACT high enough or should I take it again?
2) I am going to be a junior in high school, but I am currently taking classes at a junior college for fun. I have found out that I can transfer the credits, so I though I could start taking some core courses like English so I could start as a late Freshman almost Sophmore. In your personal opinion, is this a good idea? I figured since I am going to be an engineer I shouldn’t waste my college career on the core courses and focus more on the trickier stuff. Could this in any way harm my chances of getting into Purdue or make life more difficult when I get there?</p>

<p>I know this is long, last question…</p>

<p>3) I am from Illinois, which causes the price of tuition to change drastically even though I’m like less than an hour and a half away. So my question is, does Purdue make any exceptions of tuition to neighboring states. I’m asking this because I have heard of other universities doing it. If not, I am either going to stay with family or rent an apartment to say I am living there.</p>

<p>LonelyHapax - yes, it does. There are different timeslots that registration opens at. If you’re a sophomore at 58 credit hours (incredibly close to being a junior), you’ll get to register at 8am on the day sophomore registration opens, compared to 4pm or something like that if you barely have sophomore status. </p>

<p>Shayblue:

1. You have a solid ACT score. Purdue has students from all over the country, so they understand that certain tests are more prevalent in different areas. If you did the ACT with writing, you’re fine. A better score would probably make you more competitive for scholarships, but it’s a good score for admissions alone. </p>

<p>2) The only way that would make it more difficult is if Purdue didn’t accept your credit or if you end up not doing as well as anticipated with your engineering classes and need the grade for your EAI. But it’s definitely a good idea to get a bit ahead on gen eds so you won’t be forced into many (if any) 17/18 credit semesters. </p>

<p>3) I’m almost positive that there’s no tuition exchange program with Purdue. Unless you can move in with your family in Indiana before you apply or something. I’m not sure what the instate qualifications are, then you’ll be paying out of state tuition.</p>

<p>I just got assigned to McCutcheon Hall. Is that dorm nice? Does it have newer/nicer bathrooms? Does it have a boiler market like some do?</p>

<p>McCutcheon is pretty nice it’s just, as my friend liked to refer to it as, “Mc far away from everything.” It’s the farthest dorm from academic campus, but it’s right next to Harrison, which has the grille, and super close to hillenbrand and Earhart dining courts. It doesn’t have anything special like a mini mart, but it’s less than a 10 minute walk to the mini mart at Meredith. It has nice practice rooms in the basement if you play instruments and I think their bathrooms are similar to Harrison’s if you happened to go in the Harrison dorm tour during star.</p>

<p>Got placed in the best one, shreve. What should I expect?</p>

<p>Harrison’s dorm got worked on & their bathrooms are brand new now & super nice.</p>

<p>Probably nothing but I did dreamed of an oddly shaped bathroom that look new a couple nights ago.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the Learning Communities go on for the entire first year? Or if each person has to re-register for each semester?</p>

<p>Descuff - Shreve is a pretty nice dorm. Community bathrooms, pretty close to all of the dining courts. Expect to not be able to take naps or be productive in your room if noise bothers you from roughly 3:30-5:30 since the band practices across the street. </p>

<p>Questions - you live with your lc all year but you only take classses with them the first semester</p>

<p>Thanks naturaldisaster.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone have any feedback on what Meredith Hall is like?</p>

<p>Idk people on Facebook making it out to be the actual worse and one of the smallest rooms. On the other hand, you will be in the middle of everything.</p>

<p>Cary and Meredith are clearly the bottom if everyone list.</p>

<p>Meredith is said to have some of the best RAs on campus. Sure the rooms are small but there’s always a good sense of community there. People keep their doors open and get to know each other so people like it. Also, the location is pretty awesome. The dining courts and co rec are close by and it’s closer to campus than most dorms.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. I hope the sense of community is still there. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if graphing calculators are required to MA 165 or 161? If so, which model would be appropriate?</p>

<p>@Questions13:
I was told that any graphing calculators would do.
You would want the TI-83 or the TI-84 plus if you want something simple and easy to use.</p>

<p>BUT I have an awesome calculator. I own the TI-Nspire CX which is like the first color calculator. [TI-Nspire</a> series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-Nspire_series]TI-Nspire”>TI-Nspire series - Wikipedia)
I got it last year for my senior year of High School for around $150 so it should be below that price. It was totally worth the extra money, imo. You can like hook it up to the computer and run program from it and it’s rechargeable lasting at least a week. It also come with a touchpad. The only con is that you might now know how to use it easily at first. I recommend using youtube if you’re trying to learn how to do a certain thing for ANY calculator really. </p>

<p>But yea those three I would recommend.</p>

<p>Edit: I don’t know about the CAS calculators though.</p>

<p>Question - Purdue math classes do not allow calculators to be used on exams, so any kind of graphing calculator you used in high school will be sufficient. Also, for some classes, they only allow one-line scientific calculators to level the playing field.</p>

<p>@natural you’re telling me that I can’t use a calculator on my calculus one exam?</p>