Current National Merit Scholarship recipients

Hi! I’m trying to get a feel for the net cost of attendance after the NM scholarship $$. If you or your child is a current student, would you mind sharing your out of pocket expenses for attendance at UA? Thanks! I’m finding it hard to compare schools who offer great NM packages.

My ds is a freshman CS major with the NMF scholarship, so he also has the $2500/year scholarship from the College of Engineering. He actually received a refund of about $1500 this year, which he used toward books (his books were between $600-700 for the year, and that may be a little high). Ds stipend will cover his housing and utilities for next year, and he will have about $500 left over for books. We will pay for food, but that will not be too much. We live in the north and have flown ds home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break (this week). It has averaged $250-$350, and another $60 each way for transportation to the airport (although we have been fortunate enough to use our credit card miles for his trips). UA does charge fees for classes that are not covered by the tuition scholarship, but the stipend can cover those. I think they are minimal, especially considering what other colleges charge, and were about $350/semester. If your child does not have the engineering stipend, you might end up paying about $1000 for fees and perhaps a bit of the dining plan. Books are also extra, but ds rented some of them which saved him a great deal of money. Ds was considering other offers, but the fact that he has the scholarship for 5 years and can earn his MBA as well was a bonus! I hope this helps!!

@BlessedMom3 – thanks for responding. It’s amazing that the extra $2500/year scholarship really makes a difference, because it helps pay for housing after freshman year. It’s good to know that fees aren’t too high. I’ve heard that the yearly fees at OU can be around $7000! Is your DS going to live on campus next year?

@crazy4info ds will be living in an apartment. The students were notified that they would have very limited space available on campus, so ds and his friends are renting a furnished apartment next year. And yes, it is crazy that some fees are so high. $600-$800 per year should cover Alabama’s fees.

@BlessedMom3 What will it cost for his share of a furnished apartment? I hope you don’t mind all of the questions! :wink:

It will be about $525/month, which includes utilities as well.