Current students-are the horror stories true??

So maybe it was a mistake, but I went online and was reading reviews of Purdue. Now I’m freaking out!
All these posts (there were 35+ pages of posts) and so many were saying how horrible it is!
If you’re a current student, can you please tell me how it is?

Is it hard to make friends?

Is the social scene terrible until you can go to bars (legally)?

Are the profs as bad as they all said they were?

Is the grading scale screwed up?

Does everyone leave on the weekends so there is nothing to do?

Will I regret choosing this school?

I know this may sound panicked, and it kind of is. Decision day is quickly approaching and these reviews are making me second guess choosing Purdue!

Which reviews are you referencing? Can you post a link? My D was impressed by the campus last weekend.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Links to review sites are not allowed. You can link only to authoritative websites. Please read the Terms of Service (link at the bottom of each page) so you’ll understand the rules.

Most of those negative reviews are posted by applicants who were denied admission and students who flunked out.

My son is a freshman. No, Purdue is not a commuter school. I have seen schedules of tons of stuff to do during the week and on the weekends. It is a bit more challenging academically in some areas than he thought (Calc 2).

The ability to make friends lies in the student, not the environment. There are dorm social things, Greek life, tons of clubs, intramurals, etc. That will be the case at any school.

Professors/TAs are also hit or miss anywhere–the people who don’t do well or don’t like a prof will tend to post negative things, so take it all with a grain of salt, except maybe some reviews on rate my prof.

Don’t let negative reviews like that affect your decision–you are likely to find both glowing and scathing reviews of any school if you look. Personally, I have been impressed with the administration at Purdue, the student and career support available, and all the activities, (even if my son does almost none of them!). Freezing tuition for five straight years is unusual in this era, as well.

Good luck with your decision–go with your gut if all other factors are equal. A happy, friendly person will be happy and make friends anywhere!

@s16s18s21s25
I totally get what you’re saying, and I agree. I had a moment of concern regarding the school, but I went back and checked it out and really liked it!
I’m sure the negative comments are just the few that wanted to complain.
Thanks for your post! I appreciate it, and it’s good to know your son likes it!

@c011e9e (any anyone else reading this I’m a current Purdue student. If you still have any questions about the university feel free to shoot me a PM with specific questions and I’ll try to help.