A few questions about Purdue

<p>Can anybody tell me about the campus? Pretty, not-so-pretty, what do you think?</p>

<p>Can anybody tell me about housing? Is there enough of it or are freshmen stuck on converted lounges and that sort of nonsense? Do kids get kicked off in their sophomore year?</p>

<p>Can anybody tell me about the Electrical Engineering building? Is it nice? Is it new or old?</p>

<p>Is there anything to do if you don't go Greek?</p>

<p>THANKS!!!</p>

<p>The neat thing about Purdue is that, although it is a huge campus with an equally huge student body, it doesn't feel big. It feels like a small campus. There never seem to be those large throngs of people that flood the campus between classes; the terrain is great, with small hills, undulating grounds, and lots of trees; the buildings are nice; there are many fountains; the students are friendly; and West Lafayette has a perfect college town atmosphere.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that this is all from a mom's perspective -- but I have attended 7 colleges in my lifetime-- from a small, private, rural college in Kentucky to large state universities in Maryland and North Carolina. I'm not from the Midwest (mainly an East Coast person), but I really liked what I saw when my daughter and I visited.</p>

<p>I was impressed with Purdue -- the campus, students, academics, athletics --and am proud that it is one of her top 3 choices. (Now, I just have to wait for her to make a decision as to where she wants to go!)</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Hi, another mom here. I too, think the campus is pretty. When we visited the kids were friendly and it was a nice sunny day and a nice atmosphere.</p>

<p>My son had no problem getting the dorm he wanted (he's a freshmen). Those kids that waited, did get in kind of a bind...they weren't in converted lounges, no. But some freshmen got put with upperclassmen. Not necessarily BAD, as some of their dorms are nicer. Get the housing deposit in early, it is refundable and housing choices are based on how early you are. Sophomores can easily get housing, yes. My son doesn't know of anyone that had a hard time.</p>

<p>EE building? I don't know. But I do know that Purdue's EE is highly ranked in the nation and that wouldn't happen I would think, if the buildings for EE were all crummy.</p>

<p>There are TONS of things to do on campus if you are not in a Frat. You will hear those that say west Lafayette is "boring' but I don't think they are looking very hard. There are over 600 clubs/groups and activities plus you can invent your own. My son doesn't know anyone in a frat, but he's never at a loss for things to do. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>mominin: You are right-- Purdue's engineering program is one of the TOP ranked in the country...that is why our D applied there--and we are so happy she was accepted into their Dept. of Engineering!</p>

<p>I, personally, think that Purdue is a nice little secret in the Midwest, one that the rest of the country isn't yet aware of! Sometimes it is nice to keep it that way!</p>

<p>Thank you for your thoughts MamaSparrow and mominin!</p>

<p>oops -- One more question. What airport do the kids use, and how do they get there from campus?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Timely question, son just used this. The students use Indianapolis Airport, just over an hour away. Some drive, but easiest is the bus that runs to and from the airport to Purdue. <a href="http://www.lafayettelimo.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.lafayettelimo.com/&lt;/a> Reasonable rates and the bus leaves every two hours, 9 times a day. BTW, in my opinion, Indy is a great city and fun to visit.</p>

<p>
[quote]
**that is why our D applied there--and we are so happy she was accepted into their Dept. of Engineering!

[/quote]
MamaSparrow.....actually
I think what you mean is that she was accepted into the PreEngineering Program.......which is how Purdue works.</p>

<p><a href="https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear&lt;/a>
<a href="https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear/plan%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear/plan&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>
[quote]
*** Completion of the common core courses will allow entry into all the Schools of Engineering, subject to individual schools' space management requirements. These include: ENGR 100/103/104, a First-Year General Education course, and the following courses upon which the Engineering Admisisons Index (EAI) will be based: MA 165/161, MA 166/162/173, CHM 115/123, ENGL 106/108, ENGR 126, PHYS 152, and the Science Elective.</p>

<ul>
<li>A First-Year General Education course will be selected from the College of Engineering approved list of General Education Electives. Students are encouraged to select COM 114 as their First-Year General Education course, since it may be required by individual schools. A course taken to fulfill the First-Year General Education requirement will not count towards the 18 hours of required General Education Elective.

[/quote]
Requirements: <a href="https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear/enter_profschool%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/FirstYear/enter_profschool&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li>
</ul>

<p>OK--</p>

<p>First of all, there is no such program as "PreEngineering" at Purdue.</p>

<p>D was accepted into Purdue's "First Year Engineering Program".</p>

<p>From Purdue's website: "The Department of Engineering Education's First-Year Engineering Program is the entry point for all beginning engineering students. We are a student oriented, service department whose mission is to recruit, advise, teach, and retain outstanding students for the schools in the Purdue College of Engineering. All engineering students at Purdue must complete the first-year engineering requirements before entering the engineering school of their choice."</p>

<p>D was accepted into the Program -- she has yet to decide which school (major course of study) she wishes to pursue. As a person who excels at and loves math and physics--plus is the daughter of an Engineering PhD--I have no doubts that she will do well in this field.</p>

<p>hazmat--as someone who states that their occupation is "Squeezing my brain"--I think the IVY around your head is too tight...</p>

<p>I stand corrected about the name of the program........but the restrictions are listed for those who care that another point of entry is required at Purdue*space management requirements * unlike some other engineering programs. I am sure your daughter will do amazing things at this undiscovered jewel in the midwestern area.</p>

<p>Do I detect an air of condescension among the bay leaves??</p>

<p>Not from me.......condescension is referring to Laurel Wreath as bay leaves..........hehehe. Why are you looking to pick a fight with someone who is supportive of Purdue? I don't understand.</p>

<p>"I am sure your daughter will do amazing things at this undiscovered jewel in the midwestern area."</p>

<p>sorry if I misread your tone, hazmat--seemed to me you were putting down Purdue. That's the trouble with forums like these...</p>

<p>No ivy, bay leaves, or laurel...only an olive branch...ok? :)</p>

<p>Hey...the school of astronauts??? No problem, it is a great program and Martin Jiske had improved the place immensely during his tenure. I have a friend, young woman, who was just awarded a Beering Scholarship to attend.</p>

<p>I think the campus looks very Ivy-league. The trees are beautiful in the fall and the campus is very park-like. My son loved the school the minute he stepped on campus. He's in the first year engineering as well and he started out electrical, switched to civil, then industrial, and then to chemical! They were supposed to declare a major after spring break and I don't know if he's changed yet again. I'm sure it's a very hard decision to make. As to the EE building, I think it's old (red brick building like most buildings at Purdue) but still nice. I believe we attended an orientation there.</p>

<p>Thanks Tookie! How are your son's living arrangements? Has he enjoyed the engineering department?</p>

<p>Yes, he has enjoyed the engineering department and the learning community. They go on field trips and build things or work on different projects as a group. The first field trip was to 6 Flags Chicago and recently they toured Fedex in Indianapolis. Honors Engineering have special events for them as well, such as an "etiquette dinner" given by the former butler of Queen Elizabeth.</p>

<p>S is in Earhart dorm and has a great roommate and they've decided to stay there next year as well. It is a quiet dorm, mainly engineering students and he really doesn't have any complaints.</p>

<p>Thanks tookie. I'll put that on the list for my son. (Why am I making the list???? Yikes. ;) )</p>

<p>Tookie, I have to jump in here. My son too, is in the honors engineering dept and went to the six flags field trip as well. He loves Earhart (though not his roommate, lol) and is very glad he chose purdue. He didn't go to Fedex, but instead went to Rolls Royce? I beleive it was? Sounds like my son really enjoys these hands-on type activities and as a parent, I'm glad he's there too. Strange because for years I simply looked at this as our "local schooL" and didn't see it as a great school.</p>

<p>Well, we are out-of-state and had never even considered Purdue until I read about it here on CC! After doing more research on the engineering rankings and having my SIL engineer confirm to us that it was a great school, we visited and loved it. Son also wanted a school with lots of school spirit, which Purdue has. There definitely is something there for everybody.</p>