Current TAMU Engineering Senior, feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you @agmomx2 I am particularly interested in the “academic admits” section which my son may qualify for if he does well on his ACT. I’m still curious about timing. There will certainly be kids that will have their application and ALL supporting documents ready when registration opens on August 1. But if some of my son’s supporting docs (teacher recs, ACT score, counselor letter) aren’t submitted until mid September, will he be at a severe disadvantage?

I’m probably overthinking this, but that’s what I do (as you will note from previous threads).

No, you won’t be at a disadvantage if you begin his file and add to it later - you can continue to update until the deadlines. The advantage is that everything you do submit is already ‘checked off’ then just additional items come in for review - putting you ahead of the person who submits the whole package on that later date, just by time of processing needed. Time is of the essence though – the volume of applications submitted are incredible here. They do update without bias - meaning if you submit a 27 ACT score then get & submit a 30ACT later, they toss out the 27 as if it was never submitted, the same is true for SAT vs ACT - they consider the best score. I’d suggest he also sign up for the SAT since there are only two tests that will meet the new engineering deadline. Over 85% of the freshman class at College Station are automatic admits ( top 10% TX or academic admits).

Regarding having all your documentation ready for August 1 - yes, there are many who have been waiting for ‘opening day’ and are 100% ready. This school is a rolling admit school to the university, then to majors with the new exception of engineering holistic review to the college of engineering. Just a few years ago, it was rolling admit to engineering college and directly to the majors - it was weeks until some of the most popular majors were completely filled in engineering- but that is no longer the process.

Hi ilovemath987,

You probably didn’t expect to get this many questions but I certainly appreciate it. I’m concerned with my son’s freshman schedule and trying to maintain a 3.5 GPA so that he’s guaranteed his major of choice. We looked online at the suggested schedule for him, what do you think about it? Should we try to incorporate some easier classes to ensure that he makes the 3.5?

Math 151
Engr 111
Chem 107 or Chem 117 or Physics 218
Engl 104 or UCC
UCC

16 hours total.

Thanks!

@Quirky813 That schedule should be fine. If you son has any AP credits then he can do 13 hours the first semester to help make the GPA. My son did MATH 152, ENGR 111, PHYS 218 and a history class and made 4.0. He had several AP credits so he did not get behind by only taking 13 but the 4.0 allowed him to choose his engineering major.

Lots of options!

Yes that’s a pretty common schedule. They will want him to knock out his calculus 1&2, physics 1&2, engr 1&2 and chem. If he could focus on math 151, engr 111, phys 218, and either history or chem if he’s brave then he should have a pretty good shot. Tell him to not stress out about failing exams as long as hes right around the average because in those classes they typically curve even if they claim not to.

I wouldn’t try to add in any gpa boosters such as thar 281 or UCC classes because physics and intro to engr will require a lot of time. Many freshman in engr will start off very cocky aince many were high in their class in HS. Sometimes it can be difficult to work with them in engr 111 and 112 since they sometimes think they know it all. Just tell him to try and find a group of hard working and dedicated fellow students to study with and help him get through the semester. The 1st year is really about testing his endurance in the engr 111 and 112 classes so tell him that its ok if he doesn’t like everything they do in thise classes, it gets better.

Im happy to help answer anything I can because I remember reading on this forum a lot back when I was trying to get in.

@ilovemath987, two questions for you? What is UCC? Also, there are 3 options for laptops, which do you think is best or which do you have? My son is doing his research but I’m curious to know what you think.

15" Dell New Precision 5510
HP Zbook
Lenovo Thinkpad P50

UCC stands for university core curriculum classes, basically like your history, poli sci, etc.

I actually built my own desktop because I just couldn’t find the specs I wanted with a reasonable weight. I built an i7 4790k with 32gb of 2133 ram, 3tb hhd and 256gb ssd with a basic graphics card for now. I also have an old Toshiba i3 laptop I sometimes use if I actually need to do something important in class. I can access my desktop through my laptop if needed but typically people just use the internet, word, or excel in class for working on reports or HW for other classes, multitasking at its finest lol. If we need to run any important type of programs we typically just use the computer labs in our buildings.

With that being said, I know freshman year will require the certain type of laptop, mainly to run labview for the robot. Out of those 3 options I would probably go with the Lenovo, however I’m not that familiar with the newer precisions. A lot of my classmates also use macs, I’m not a big fan of them but they are a great computer and handles most of the programs. Only a few times there have been some older programs that we needed to run that the macs could not download so they just had to use the lab computers for the assignments.

Hope this helps!

@Quirky813 My son is a junior in the Mechanical Engineering department. Its interesting to read these questions as they are the same ones we had 2 year ago. As others have said, your schedule is the same as many other engineering students will have their first semester. My son was a 4.0 GPA in high school and brought in several AP courses. He decided to use his Math credit for 151 and move right into 152. He is glad he made this choice. He also used his AP credits for History and English. He was a sophomore by the end of his first semester due to AP credits.

Keep in mind that the Physics classes are weedout courses. My son had his first failing test grade in his life. He managed to keep ahead of the class and ended up getting an A in Physics 218 and still doesn’t really know how to this day. They do curve these classes heavily, but they also weedout a lot of students.

Also, depending on your desired major just getting good grades won’t assure you a spot. The ME program had a 3.8 average GPA and my son had a 4.0 until this last semester. The classes get harder and the professors curve less as you move along. We heard that several students with 4.0 GPA’s didn’t make the ME program. You need to participate in other programs and really show why you are interested in engineering.

My son is starting his junior year this fall. He is well ahead in his schedule and is planning to apply for the Fast Track program to get his Masters Degree. He has also joined several groups including helping to bring the Innovation Fellows program to the engineering department. He also signed up for his first research class next semester which he’s excited about. You spend a lot of time studying theory and he’s ready to start using his creative skills. As mentioned, his last semester was the hardest with both Vibrations and Thermodynamics. Vibrations (MEEN 363) was one of the hardest classes so far. He managed to get a B in the class, but the average grades are C’s and D’s. There wasn’t a single A in the entire section.

Good luck everyone. I also appreciate ilovemath987 for starting this thread. Its hard to get your questions answered by folks with direct experience.

@whciv01, the Entry to a Major process has changed. This year, anyone with a 3.5 GPA after two semesters gets their first choice engineering major. (Not sure if it’s just rumor, but I keep hearing they are doing away with this after just one year.)

Tagging on to what @whciv01 stated about the weed-out courses. Physics is known for it as well as the later thermodynamics course. There is a reason engineering is affectionately called “Pre-Businsess”. There are many who drop out of engineering during year the first few semesters. My son had to complete engineering 112 on his own since his work group all dropped out.

Well it sounds like your son is doing very well so far! We have our own dynamics and vibrations class, cven 363 and take meen 315 (thermo as well) and yes those classes do have typically lower grades than most. Meen 368 or 357 (I forgot which one) I’ve heard is a killer as well with the programming and numerical methods.

How is it possible for students to maintain scholarships and majors with so many required “killer” classes?

Maintaining that 3.5 GPA all 4 years for scholarships is very tough. I’m guessing many don’t maintain that 3.5 in engineering even after the first year. Physics weed-out courses (you’ll never see grades like you see in Physics- curved at the end though or the entire class would probably fail). Engineering 112 has lots of work and many drop out and then the remaining kids have to do all the work. My son ended up doing almost all the work in Engr 111 and 112 after most of his group dropped out. Honors classes in Chem and Math can be tough too. Most finals (and projects due) in the same week with no break to study (other schools like UT give you a week to study before finals).

So if one is depending on scholarships to attend A&M then think twice as 3.5GPA in engineering is very tough to maintain (one bad semester-one bad professor is all it takes to crush that GPA if you are just over 3.5). Only the really good students who are able to manage their time will be able to keep scholarships. 3.5 in other majors maybe possible all 4 years but not in engineering (for the majority). A&M should lower that GPA to a 3.25 for engineering majors.

The engineering program at A&M is very good and has a strong reputation. That’s why it’s tough to get that degree and stay in a major - they want the best. The first year will weed out many including some of the brightest minds who have not learned time management skills or get involved in too many clubs etc.

I agree with everything you are saying here. My gpa is is just a little above a 3.0 and should be around 3.1-3.2 at graduation since the remaining senior classes I have typically have higher grades. I would love to have a 3.25 or higher but at A&M all I’ve taken for the most part is engr classes since I transferred in from a 2 year school where I took all of my easier classes and had a much higher gpa at that school that didn’t transfer over of course. But I also work during the school year to pay for my school and rent so I’ll blame part of my gpa on that lol. Thankfully I think work experience plays a big role on your resume so I’m not too worried about not being able to find a job.

@lee6666 I don’t see how they will be able to maintain a new policy for allowing anyone with a 3.5 GPA to enter there major of choice. The ME program had way more applicants than actual seats. Unless they are planning to not allow near as many into the engineering program from the start.

@whciv01, I agree! But they’ve clearly stated this is the policy for this year (Class of 2019). It will be interesting to see what happens when a vast number of students with a minimum 3.5 GPA from General Engineering (TAMU) and Engineering Academy (Blinn) select Mechanical or Chemical, considering these departments didn’t have the capacity for all students with a 4.0 GPA last year. They’ve even extended the 3.5 GPA automatic entry into the major of choice for the new program in Galveston (allowing students to come to College Station after their first year). Perhaps numbers will be adjusted when they move to a holistic review for freshman applicants to General Engineering in the fall of 2017. I have also heard talk that the 3.5 minimum/auto entry will not be kept after the Class of 2019, but who knows as this seems to be a moving target. Additionally, they instructed students completing their freshman year to register for fall 2016 classes according to the program they “think” they will get into. So many of those with <3.5 GPA likely registered for Mechanical/Chemical sophomore coursework when, in reality, they may be placed into their 2nd or 3rd choice major instead. Seems it will be a headache all around for the advising staff come July 15 when students are notified of their major.

@tr4metwo, I agree with all your comments. Also, while I don’t have exact numbers, but have been told approximately 1,000 of the 3,000 General Engineering students are weeded out the first year, or are in some way ineligible to apply for their entry to a major after the first year. Some leave the program, others are moved out due to low GPA, some don’t complete the required coursework with a C or better, etc. Regarding your comment on the back-to-back exams, seems like Math 151 and Physics 218 were one night after each other during every exam cycle. My son would study his tail off for Physics and just wing it on the Calc. And like you say, no finals study week – classes ended May 3 and my son had his Math 152 final on May 5.

@lee6666 My son is glad he is already in the ME program. Each year they seem to make more changes to the application process. My son was the first year they started the “general engineering” program before you could apply for a major. He said several of the students who entered the ME program with him have since dropped out. Its a tough major.

@ilovemath987 I have a question in regard to tuition rate code. Which one did you choose variable or fix rate? What is pros and cons of each option. Thank you

My tuition rate code is 1314 I think? Everything over 12 hours costs the same. I pay right under $5400 a semester. This is one reason why I try to take a lot of hours each semester so that I was able to shave off an extra semester since I pay for school myself. For next spring I should be taking under 12 hours so my tuition should drop down to $4100 I think? I’m not really familiar with each option but I remember that the option that I chose was the best for taking the most hours.