Current TAMU Engineering Senior, feel free to ask me any questions!

Sorry for all the posts but we keep discovering things. What does EXAM mean under the “Type”? We see LEC for lecture, LAB for Lab and EXAM.

Last question since I can’t edit my post for 15 minutes. What is a recitation? He has Physics lecture, lab and recitation all on Wednesday. We figured out that the Physics times at 7:30pm are the exam dates so not a weekly class slot. We thought we were ahead of the game but there are a few more things they should cover at NSC. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Recitation is where a TA (teaching assistant) answers questions and works problems, at least in my day that’s what it was. It’s common for math and science classes and usually one day (period) per week as opposed to lectures which are 2-3 times per week at the same time slot. Labs are usually longer time periods once per week (about 2 hours).

@Quirky813, Yes, the 7:30 p.m. times are exams, not class times – whew! @aggiedadtimes2 is correct – recitation is a weekly session conducted by a TA. It’s used for reviews/quizzes/questions, etc. Students have recitation for Math 151 as well – usually for their weekly quiz. In Howdy, you can view their schedule in a graphic layout as well and exam times will be excluded. Gives you a better view of their week than the class list.

Yeah, schedules for the first two years usually look more intimidating than they actually are because of that extra recitation. If I remember correctly, Math 151, Math 152, Phys 218, and Phys 208 all have recitation. Depending on the major, even some of the 200/300 level upper engineering courses have recitation. You should take that into account when making your schedule.

@Lee666 My DD registered during one of the first NSCs. The Engr session she was in was a bloodbath - all the students were scrambling just to get into classes - there was no luxury of choice for timeslots or professors. Many students left without the classes they needed; it was that bad. Other kids used a brute-force attack (enter the numbers again and again and again, trying to find a slot that someone else dropped). The advisors were completely outnumbered by students, and no help whatsoever.

So I laughed when I read, “That is why the online schedule builders are so useful (ahead of your NSC) – they factor in all lecture/recitation/lab times and build a schedule you can see graphically.” How naive to assume you will always have a plethora of choices, and a lousy schedule is simply the result of your ignorance in building a good one.

It was helpful to know students with sophomore-level hours will register Aug 8-11. I checked in Howdy, and discovered one of her DE transcripts from Spring wasn’t received / credited. She will bring 47-50 hours credit.

“NSC was your opportunity to create a schedule that fit your requirements and time/prof preferences.”

I just want to be sure students don’t go into NSC with this expectation. I’m sure that’s the ideal, but reality can be very different. I suggest you come prepared with RateMyProfessor (http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/campusRatings.jsp?sid=1003) results and their grade averages (http://web-as.tamu.edu/gradereport/) for every class possibility!

If you go into NSC with the mindset you want this class with this professor you will probably end up being disappointed. Having multiple schedules is of great benefit. The student has 4 options:

1 - Get the time & prof they want
2 - Get the prof they want
3 - Get the time they want
4 - Get neither.

The student has to decide which is more important between the prof and the time. Many times the available classes will dictate that time is the higher priority.

Coming into NSC with a rating of each prof for every class would be a little overwhelming at that point. Having prioritized sample schedules in advance where you have already done the research on the prof will give you a better chance to get what you want. At least it worked for my son.

And yes the first semester registering is the most intimidating. It gets easier.

@AuntieMame Hey, could you elaborate a little more about students with sophomore level hours registering from august 8-11th? I’m worried now because I didn’t hear about that. Does that mean that anyone with a lot of credits will get to register early? Or just register for any sophomore level class early? I will bring in around 45-50 credits from my dual credit classes. My NSC isn’t until august 22nd.

@kldat1 For Engr students, the range of suggested classes for the first semester is ~extremely~ narrow, so being prepared with possibilities isn’t that much of a task. (We did it.) I’m sure other majors have a much wider range of choices.

@BloodShotProZ It’s probably a good thing that your NSC is later. I hope they keep improving the process, so yours goes smoothly.

NSC is just a free-for-all with everyone hammering at the system at the same time. After NSC, students register and add/drop online based on how many hours they have, including DE transfer hours like yours. For an example, you can look at the Fall 2016 registration schedule:
http://registrar.tamu.edu/Courses,-Registration,-Scheduling/Registration-Schedule/Undergraduate#2-Sophomores(30-59TotalEarnedCreditHours)%26FreshmanStudentEmployees

If this link doesn’t work, go to http://registrar.tamu.edu/Courses,-Registration,-Scheduling/Registration-Schedule/Undergraduate#2-Sophomores , then click on "Sophomores (30-59 Total Earned Credit Hours)

Friday, April 15, 2016 - Sophomores (U2 classification with between 50-59 total earned credit hours)
Monday, April 18, 2016 - Sophomores (U2 classification with between 41-49 total earned credit hours)
Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - Sophomores (U2 classification with between 30-40 total earned credit hours)
Freshman student employees (evening start times)

I’m guessing U2 stands for Undergraduate Year 2.

If you missed the earlier post, you can find your Add/Drop times here: Howdy / My Record / Registration - Add or Drop Classes.
Verify that all your dual-credit classes have been recorded here: Howdy / My Record / Grades and Transcripts - Unofficial Transcript.

Hope this helps!

A student DS met at NSC is an education major and she did not get the math class that she needed. She said her registration class was crazy as well.

At lunch on registration day, when DS was looking at classes with open seats, English 104 had 0 seats available and only 9 or 10 classes even listed. So he went to look at History 105 and found many open seated classes. I don’t know if they added more seats/classes to English between noon and 6 pm, but you would think they would have, with the majors attending NSC that week, I am sure they all need English 104 if they don’t have the AP.

@AuntieMame, I’m sorry to hear your student’s NSC was disappointing. I didn’t mean to imply that everyone gets what they want if they use a schedule builder ahead of time. Perhaps the courses are in shorter supply this year, but last year, although things were tight, my son came in with several schedules built via MyEdu.com and managed to get most of his preferences. He also wanted Amy Austin for Calc, and he managed to get her. He did work with an advisor after his NSC on a change that was required for PHYS 218. My point was that there are ways to work changes after NSC (sometimes you need to call with your student and be a bit forceful, particularly if their basic engineering requirements were not available at their NSC), but advisors may not do a force request simply because a student doesn’t like their class times. Again, it sounds as if things may be tighter this year, but there is movement when classes start, and I hope that your student will benefit from that. This site is simply to share feedback and experiences, and that’s what I was doing. @BloodShotProZ, To clarify about the August registration time I referenced – at the end of freshman year, students will register for their sophomore classes. The August registration date (starting their sophomore year) is simply an add/drop session for them ahead of the first week of classes, that’s all. Good luck to your students. It can be frustrating, but they do work with advisors and professors and work out a schedule that’s do-able and meets their requirements.

I appreciate all of the help with all of my relentless questions, I really do appreciate it.

Hello Howdy,

What can you tell me about Msc/PhD in Oil & Gas engineering at TAMU?
Thank you

Thank you @AuntieMame and @lee6666 . I did have another question, for anyone that can answer this actually. I see that a lot of people are recommending to have a list of classes ready that they plan on taking. Being in the situation that I am in coming with a lot of credits, I am unsure what I am exactly supposed to be looking for. I had emailed an adviser about my situation and they informed me that I am going to be “Core Complete,” so I won’t have to take english, poly, creative arts, since I will already have those. I am also going to already have Calculus 1,2, 3, and chemistry done. That means the only classes I will need to take for my freshmen year will be physics 218, and 208 and Engr 111 and 112. Because of my scholarships I obviously will not only take 2 classes each semester, so what kind of classes am I supposed to be getting ready or searching up for my NSC. I really don’t want to wait until then to ask the advisers because I will lose time and not get any good classes by the time they tell me. My intended major is Industrial Engineering. So should I go off of that degree plan? All this talk of people having not so great experiences at their NSC is really worrying me.

@BloodShotProZ You seriously need to talk to an advisor. Call, and be persistent! You need to take Sophomore level Engr classes, but you haven’t been selected into a specific major.
‘Core complete’ isn’t an issue but you’ve already had most of the fish classes for gen engr. You could work towards your minor, I suppose. (Typing on phone)

@BloodShotProZ
Wait, you even completed the ICD classes? well you can take classes that apply to most engineering majors as senior technical electives, like Stats 221. Normally non-major technical electives are transferred as senior electives to any major.

like here (pg 2) :https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/3716969/2016%2003%2031%20MEEN%20Stem%20%20Tech%20%20Electives_Cat%20138%20-%20Mar%202016%20v3.pdf

For example,

Fall : Differential Equations (3), Physics 218 (4), Engr 111 (2) , CVEN 322 (3)
Spring : Physics 208 (4) Engr 112 (2) Stat 211 (3) ASTR 314 (3)

Those are classes that will work as electives for CIVL, MEEN, and PETE. Look up what electives you can take till your admitted to your major. That make sense? They don’t require prerequisites or grade level classification.

@lessonwitch2 Well I am not sure what ICD means. But I see, that is a good idea I think I will do that actually thank you. I had forgotten to mention that I will also already have differential equations. I was just thinking of not taking math for an entire year or maybe one semester so that I can really focus on physics and engr 111. I really don’t want to linear algebra as a freshmen just yet. Maybe in the spring since I will most likely take physics 208 at a community college next summer.

@BloodShotProZ No Problem!
ICD classes are International Culture Diversity classes. You need 6 hours of them to graduate.Here is the list of them. https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/483954/icd_catalog_201031.pdf

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a member on College Confidential for a while. And I’m interested in this thread. I’m planning on transfer to Texas A&M in the next Spring 2017. I will major in Civil Engineering. I’m wondering about my chance to get into the school. I have been working hard for my academic path in the past. Is anyone here can give me some opinion?

Currently, I’m studying at a community college and get 3.94 / 4.00 GPA. I got all A’s in my science and mathematics classes. The only class I got a B was English Composition II. No grade lower than B.

Do I have a good chance to get into Texas A&M?

I appreciate all of the responses to my post. Thank you!