D&P/Stage Design Admissions -- How to Stand Out?

Hi! I’m a junior currently set on going to a BFA program for Design & Production, more specifically Stage Design. I have a couple of questions about how admissions work for these programs that I was hoping someone who either went through the process or understands how it operates for Tech Theater kids specifically.

(For reference, I’m very drawn to UMich, DePaul, USC, NYU, Emerson, BU, and SUNY Purchase, just to base answers around if possible. Or if you have any first-hand experience applying to these schools that would be cool too :slight_smile: )

For starters, how competitive is it typically compared to the average MT program? I’ve heard plenty of different numbers about performance majors but I’m struggling to find any information on D&P.

How important are academics, generally speaking? I’m not weak by any means (3.8 UW + 35 ACT) but seeing how a lot of schools I’m thinking about have very high academic standards, I’m not quite sure how that fits into the programs I’m looking at.

Finally, what type of experience are most programs looking for? I’m interning at a community theater this summer to develop my scenic skills, would work done outside of a high school setting be viewed any more favorably as it would be inside? Or is it more about the work itself?

If anyone has any general advice or comments about applying and getting into these programs, that would be great too. I’m kind of on my own here, so any help is appreciated!

1 Like

My S22 (theater tech major, unsure of exact focus although much of his experience at the time of application was in sound design) applied to NYU Tisch and considered, but ultimately did not apply to, Purchase.

He thought NYU’s application process was well thought out and well run on their part. It included a portfolio and zoom interview in addition to the regular application. The interview was very detailed and informative. They asked him a lot of information about his experiences in high school and community theater tech, but not in any intimidating way. S22 had very little other than tech in the way of ECs --just a job 1 summer and a small visual arts internship. But his tech ECs were deep; he did every show for all 4 years and had multiple service/volunteer hours doing tech-related activities in the community such as working the grade school shows, running sound and lights for non-profit community groups etc. These were all opportunities that he heard about through his school. He was also a strong student academically (high test scores, good grades, full IB.) The NYU interviewer told him that NYU does care a lot about general academics for its BFA students, more than most other colleges’ BFA programs. So you being a strong student will be a plus. In the end, he was accepted to NYU Tisch, but the cost ended up being so high that he chose elsewhere.

Overall, theater tech is much less competitive than acting, especially musical theater acting, but is still quite competitive at the top programs.

Since you are planning possible stage design, you should keep in mind that a designer who has the rigor to bring the engineering/architectural/structural skills to the job (rather than just “decorative”) will always have an advantage all else being equal. So do not neglect rigorous classes such as physics, calculus etc!

One resource that has a lot of info about programs is the Facebook group “Theater Tech Parents --High School to College.” Unfortunately, it is parents only, not students. But maybe you have a parent willing to join on your behalf?

4 Likes

Hi — I sent you a direct message!