D21 journey

How do I create a post seeking assistance narrowing decisions? My D21 has options and is feeling indecisive. I have opinions and am trying to filter my bias. Thank you!

Under the heading of this thread it there’s a link that says, “College Search & Selection.” Click on it to go the main page for that topic. Then look for the blue button that says, “New Topic” in the upper right corner. Click on that and create your new thread. Hope that makes sense. @Mom2124

4 Likes

So much for my prediction!

3 Likes

It’s interesting for me to hear this. I was accepted and given a full ride to Davidson many moons ago. When I went up for an overnight visit, my host did homework all night long. We never left her dorm room, and in fact, she didn’t even talk that much. Aside from not being a good ambassador for the school, the behavior was actually quite rude. Anyway, we reached out to the admissions office about our experience, and their reply was that the kids are very focused on their studies at Davidson. We knew right then and there Davidson was not the right school for me.

It’s fascinating to me that all these years later that there are still social concerns, especially among kids who are very studious themselves.

I think homerdog’s DD will pick Richmond. It’s been my sense since they visited earlier this year.

3 Likes

My new prediction is Colgate. It’s prestigious and not as uptight as BC.

5 Likes

When HomerD commented about the importance of visits, many of us assumed it was directed toward Lehigh, and that it meant Lehigh was coming off the list. Could that comment have been about Davidson? Is it possible that the visit to Lehigh confirmed that she needs a more social campus (even though she already knew)?

I am more perplexed than ever!

2 Likes

We knew Davidson’s reputation from the beginning. Remember that S19 applied and was accepted and seriously considered it. He had heard about the grade deflation and the rigor being intense and that the social scene was pretty tame. For him, Bowdoin was a better match because he ended up loving Maine, he could walk on the XC and track teams and he really liked the kids he met. For D, we had to cast a wide net in this crazy Covid year. She had visited Davidson with us when we were looking with S19 and thought the campus was beautiful, wanted a mix of small and midsized campuses on her list and preferred warm so Davidson made the list. We always had concerns about it being the smallest on the list and not as social as all of the other schools on her list but it wasn’t a deal breaker at the beginning before we had any idea where she’d get accepted. She certainly could do a lot worse than Davidson. So much to love about it.

3 Likes

My new pick is Colgate!

2 Likes

So much to catch up on! Been a crazy couple weeks and just now taking the time to read the updates!

My guess: UR is the front runner at this point with BC as close second. I think the BC visit with friends was better than expected. And, because gauging “fit” is so hard these days, these friends were able to answer questions/paint a realistic picture of life on that campus.

Well, now I may think BC is first pick… Gosh, IDK!!!

2 Likes

I have consistently favored Richmond for your D. Soon we will know. This has been a fun and lovely diversion from fretting about my own kid’s process. I have enjoyed cheering your D on!

6 Likes

I feel like Richmond is the Cinderella fit for the OP’s D. But I also feel like presige has always had a pull, even though they have tried hard to not let it. So for that reason, I am going with Colgate.

6 Likes

I am beginning to wonder if this student wants a bigger school instead of an LAC. I think she had a great experience at BC and is a little confused right now.

1 Like

Even tho I’m going with Richmond, there must be something attractive about BC that has kept it on the list despite the negatives that homer mentioned in the past.

Lehigh and Colgate must have been pretty impressive b/c two negatives against them also but they made it to final four (not as easy to travel to and cold weather).

2 Likes

I’m completely tracking with your thought process and rationale, 4Kids. I think that BC holds some intangible mystique despite the no-Greek-system and Catholic heritage situation and could be the wild-card choice here. But, recall that @homerdog explicitly talked about Southwest markets and it seemed that “inconvenient travel” was a factor. Neither Colgate nor Lehigh fits the “easy travel to Chicago” profile. So, for those reasons, these two might seriously be in play. BUT - they were sight-unseen until this weekend. So, I’m sticking with Richmond and will assume these additional three schools are to confirm the choice of Richmond. So much suspense!

This thread is so much fun. Love the reads of HDs posts to figure out the meaning, it feels like a speech from the Fed where everyone reads into every word. :slight_smile: Will be interesting to hear the latest trip report!

Interesting that Davidson is off. My freshman at Richmond–who wanted a non-Greek social life–was so excited for our Davidson tour (pre covid) and crossed it off his list midway because he said every.single.student looked stressed to him. I didn’t get that, but he sure did. That visit was in spring, so maybe during midterms??

3 Likes

I don’t see any real difference in prestige between the two - even if you’re hung up on ratings they’re 20 vs 22 - no real difference.

1 Like

If we are discussing rankings/prestige. According to Forbes:

Boston College #41

Colgate #46

Lehigh #67

Richmond #83

1 Like

BC doesn’t have Greek life, and this student (if I remember correctly) wants to join a sorority. I actually think sorority life is fairly high on the list of “must haves,” but of course I may be wrong, or she may have changed her mind. I decided to take BC off the list.

For some reason I don’t see this student at Richmond, but I have absolutely no logical explanation. It’s a beautiful school with strong academics, it has everything she wants, and yet for some reason I am just not feeling it. I can’t express why. Maybe it’s because HD has not posted a lot of information here regarding their thoughts (I don’t remember)?

I am back to Colgate vs Lehigh, as I indicated awhile back.

This thread has become my entertainment…

6 Likes

I am just so addicted to this thread! I think BC jumped to the top of the list after this weekend, with Richmond coming in at a close 2nd. But honestly, you cannot go wrong with any of these amazing schools!!!

2 Likes

Rankings (as in the actual number) aren’t really a factor. We are looking at fit through the lens of what D wants and what we want for her - career placement, access to professors, a lively social life, opportunities to join clubs and gain leadership experience.

12 Likes