Did you ever suggest your kids should seek degrees that would offer better paying jobs?

My husband. Has done exactly that the entire time I’ve known him. :rofl:

1 Like

I think non-gamer screen time is a different topic. Our S does quite a bit of work and independent research at home but treats that type of screen-time (productive) different than gaming as a leisure time activity. I’ve always encourage him and his sister to value physical activity (preferably outdoors) as a way to to both recharge and find inspiration in whatever they are doing. S recently mentioned that he came up with some interesting plans for a ML project he’s leading while hiking the hills to the Stanford dish.

Golfing is supposedly bad for the environment (and may be an unproductive use of time). Video gaming is supposedly bad for one’s health and social life (and may be an unproductive use of time). Any downside to biking, hiking, skiing, or mountaineering?

1 Like

Our son is as likely to be gaming as doing job-related work at 3AM. But the Army sees to his physical activity — he’s up at the crack of dawn to make it to post for PT by 6 every morning before his workday starts. I’m not sure how much sleep he’s getting (or not getting). Ah, to be young again.

LOL, in SV our son gets up at the crack of 10AM to roll by the starbucks on the way to work. Lifting a coffee cup counts as PT??

4 Likes

Here is another oft neglected career path:

1 Like

And have a nice body to boot, what’s not to like, lol.

3 Likes

They aren’t really just lifeguards. More like top ranked LAPD/FD.

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/in/danny-douglas-45650158
https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/in/fernando-boiteux-1b8870142

1 Like

Look, I’ve never been a fan of golf, but golf is exercise even with the use of golf carts and remote control caddies. And exercise is not an unproductive use of time.

4 Likes

Everything is relative. For young people, there’re other more efficient and effective ways to exercise, and arguably, better use of their time if the purpose is to exercise.

2 Likes

Golf has a high cost threshold to get involved in. As a banker dh took up golf in the early years of his career. It was almost a necessity for getting ahead and fortunately he enjoyed it. Now as an executive and towards the tail end of his career he hasn’t golfed in many years.

1 Like

I’d agree 100% with that sentiment, golf is not as efficient or effective as some other forms of exercise. Young or old.

But you originally said golf may be unproductive use of time. If someone, like a relative of mine, wants around 5-10 miles and burn an estimated 1,500-2,000 calories, and also relieve stress, then that’s not unproductive.

For much of the population, no exercise is done. Inefficient is better than zero.

3 Likes

D1 is a senior banker at a BBB. (Here is my brag) She made MD this year. She doesn’t play golf and she had a baby last year. I am told all her social events are very well attended, and they rarely involve anything outdoor.

6 Likes

While I agree there are people who fall into this category, I try not to engage with them about their relative success and/or failure.

My comments about work, opportunity and luck come from the empathy I feel for many of the young adults (college age to around 35). From my vantage point (Midwest, affluent suburban), I don’t see a lazy bunch of kids making excuses; on the contrary I see a strong work ethic in many. Oftentimes I think they’re being too hard on themselves.

Yesterday we went to an extended family barbecue. I enjoyed talking with the young adults about how their careers were going. I was impressed with how they are addressing everything from the cost of living to what they’re involved with in order to make a positive contribution to the world. I’m hopeful for the future if the world can be kind to their generation.

5 Likes

Skiing - skiing into a tree, breaking your neck or leg.
Mountaineering - death

:wink:

Don’t forget spelunking!

2 Likes

“Unproductive use of time” in the sense that if the person were to choose another more efficient and effective way to exercise, s/he might have more time to devote to other more productive activities.

1 Like

https://golf.com/instruction/fitness/how-many-calories-you-burn-playing-golf-walking-riding/ mentions calories burned golfing:

• Walking while carrying (the golf bag): ~1,400, sometimes up to 2,000.
  • Walking while pushing a cart: “similar amount of calories as carrying, albeit a fraction less”.
  • Walking with caddie (who handles the golf bag): 800-900, or maybe 1,200
  • Riding a cart: “between ~800 and 1,300”

However, since these numbers come from different sources, they may not be derived consistently. Indeed, it does not seem all that believable that golfing while riding a cart burns basically the same calories as golfing while walking with a caddie.

How Far Do You Walk In A Round Of Golf? - More Than You Think! | Golf Monthly says that a study of golfers on a course of about 3.9 miles averaged 6.6 miles of walking (range from 5.7 miles to 7.8 miles).

I think golf as a means for getting ahead in business is on the wain as Baby Boomers retire and Millennials and Gen Z start to replace them.

2 Likes

First, I’d ask what’s that more productive activiity? Golf can be very productive, especially when business deals can be made simultaneously or your courting clients. Or keeping them happy.

Ultimately, it’s whatever gets you off the couch and you enjoy doing. We’re all built differently. If you don’t enjoy something, then you won’t do it.

And trust me, spending a great deal of my life in the gym, people in the gym today, especially those young tech workers, are about as inefficient and ineffective in the gym as anyone, even moreso than a golfer, since most gym goers can’t stay away from their phones. And golfers have golf course marshals moving them from one hole to the next.

I think to myself all the time, why bother coming if you’re looking at your phone or chatting all the time.

2 Likes