Dilemma

<p>I'm already in at Umiami, I paid the enrollement and housing deposit, but a 5/17, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor accepted me from their waitlist. I am majoring in business, I looked at Miami's campus and I do say it is wonderful, but I think the academic opportunities may be better at UMich and chances of a top grad school will be better, any thoughts would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>-Financial aid is a factor too, Miami is giving me just about 100%, and UMich hasn't made their offer yet, but I think going in some debt is worth it.</p>

<p>I believe that at Mich you need to apply to the Bus school as a sophomore and you are not guaranteed admission. My S chose not to consider any schools where he could find himself locked out as they have limited spots and admission to the major is competitive. At Miami you are already accepted into the Bus School. You might check with the Bus school at Mich regarding this. Good luck!</p>

<p>Also, does Michigan (a state school) give finaid to non-residents/OOS students? If not, you'll be paying the equivalent of private school tuition.</p>

<p>I know the acceptance rate at UMich Ross is around 50%, I believe that if I apply myself and such I have a great chance of gaining admittance to this prestigious undergrad business school. As far as Miami, I think it's wonderful and wouldn't mind going there, and yes, they are in the process of giving me some aid, merit and need based. I just hope I found out by the deadline. But do you agree with my first post? Thanks for your hope</p>

<p>Only you and your family can decide if the debt you may incur at Michigan is worth it.</p>

<p>My D was very glad she graduated college without debt. She has watched her friends struggle to make the payments and feels it would be like the equivalent of paying 2 rent payments a month rather than one. Having no debt gave her some freedom and many more choices of what she could do after finishing college. Now she was a history major - not business.</p>

<p>My S who is studying business vowed to go to a place that would give him merit aid and which was affordable. He had no interest in incurring debt or asking us to incur it on his behalf. He has done extremely well at Miami. In fact, on the advice of his advisor, he applied for and was selected by a well known international firm and just this week participated in a recruiting program for kids who are completing their freshman year. Many of the other kids who attended were from ivies and other prestigious schools. </p>

<p>I am sure there are threads in other forums (Parents, Finaid) on CC where they are debating whether a more prestigious school is worth incurring debt. You might try looking at them for advice and things to consider as you try to make your decision.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I will suggest some things that may not make sense,but it is true nevertheless.</p>

<p>I am a tax lawyer who has seen a number of successful people. Frankly, people don't generally have tax problems unless they are successful.</p>

<p>Frankly, whether you go to Michigan, Miami, Harvard or Maryland, I have not seen any difference in the success rate of their respective graduates. Both the books and curriculum are the same at most schools. This is especially true for undergraduate studies. The factors that do seem to matter and that do seem to separate the successful from the mediocre in lfe are:</p>

<ol>
<li>Strong GPA in College: Higher GPAs at almost any school does open some doors that wouldn't be opened otherwise . I can't emphasize this enough. It is much more important to get a 3.5+ from almost any school than a 3.2 or even a 3.3 from Harvard.</li>
<li>Motivation: How motivanted the person is and how driven they are, really is a major factor in success
3.Honor and integrity: Contrary to what you have been reading, top people tend to be very honorable . Their word is their bond is a lifelong belief for them. </li>
<li>Application of education: What people do with their education seems to be an important factor too. You can take easy courses or those that challange you and improve your skills.</li>
<li>Attend a top notch graduate/professional school: Attending a top notich graduate or professional school does seem to open some doors in life that wouldn't be normally available. However, long term, this isn't as important a factor as it would seem.</li>
</ol>

<p>Bottom line: both schools are good schools. Take the one that costs you the least net of scholarships.</p>

<p>I totally agree with Taxguy. S was specifically told that his high GPA helped qualify him for the recruiting program - had it been lower he would not have been eligible.</p>

<p>Please define the "recruiting program"? Not quite sure what it is but it sounds interesting.</p>

<p>At the suggestion of his business advisor, S applied for an internship program, though only a freshman. Most internships take place between Jr and Sr year, so his chance was slim. He didn't get an internship but because of that app, he was selected to participate in a full day by invitation only program aimed at kids who had just completed their freshman year, that was being put on by an international financial company. I believe the point was to introduce the kids to the field of international finance and probably to start identifying kids they may at some point want for an internship or a job. A friend we know who works at Coke said that the best companies start recruiting by making contacts with freshmen. It strikes me as a little bit like a Likely Letter - the company is trying to get in and make a good impression first, much as schools that send Likely Letters are trying to get on the good side of admits a little before admission letters can officially go out. </p>

<p>If you will be attending Miami, ask your advisor about it.</p>

<p>Michigan gives very little merit money to OOS. I was accepted OOS (in Oct) and did not get a direct admit into Ross. Michigan financial aid package will = a statford loan + parent plus, they are not generous to OOS kids. If Miami's is giving you almost 100% you are talking a $120,000 swing.
Good luck.</p>

<p>They actually gave me about 12K in grants, rest in loans, so I think i'm going for UMich, plus my parents are going to help with the loans and stuff</p>