Direct Admit BSN Marquette vs SLU vs Creighton vs Fairfield vs Salve Regina vs Catholic vs Xavier

Our daughter is in the very fortunate position to have been accepted to the following direct admit BSN programs/colleges each with $80,000 - $120,000 in merit scholarships. She has visited all the campuses but has only had a nursing specific tour at one of them. If you have students in these programs or had a nursing specific tour when you visited your feedback would be much appreciated to help her narrow it down. Thanks!

Creighton
SLU
Marquette
Xavier
Fairfield
Salve Regina
Catholic University

Xavier is about 2 miles from a large hospital complex that contains Cincy Children’s (one of the best in the country), University of Cincinnati Hospital, and a VA hospital.

2 Likes

I have only limited connections to any of these schools. A cousin went to Fairfield Nursing and has had a fine career, advancing to Head Nurse in a big LI hospital and another friend’s daughter has just been accepted to Sacred Heart and is planning to attend there. I have another friend who’s daughter went to CUA and she had a good experience there.

One of my daughter’s obtained her nursing degree at Boston College, so I’ll comment from that perspective. I don’t think that there are big differences in the quality of instruction at any of the nursing schools. It is a practitioner’s degree and not as dependent on whether one has the most learned professors. Curriculum is pretty standard from one school to another.

In my daughter’s experience, 2 things did matter a lot. The first was the quality of the clinicals. This is where nurses learn best practices. For my daughter, being in Boston gave her placements at some of the best hospitals in the world. In general, the bigger the city, the more likely to have opportunities at major research hospitals. I suggest that you definitely ask for a list of probable placements for clinicals and check out their quality.

A second benefit of clinicals at top hospitals is that they can lead to job offers. My daughter received a job offer at Boston Children’s Hospital, the best children’s hospital in the country, upon passing her nursing boards. This was directly related to the fact that she had worked there. Not only was thus a great job, but it opened doors to other top jobs when she left the Boston area.

The second thing that mattered a lot for my daughter was transportation to clinicals. BC provided van transport for nursing students for many clinicals, the fact that there is a medical area in Boston with a cluster of major hospitals made this easy to do. The fact that Boston has excellent light rail service with a stop right by the college was another plus when van service was not available or an alternative was preferred. I would definitely ask the colleges about transportation to clinicals.

From a location POV, I would be concerned about Salve. I know that Fairfield does some if it’s clinicals in Stamford. Traffic between the college and those hospitals is horrible. Although there is commuter rail, I don’t know how it’s access is to the hospitals. I don’t know where SHU does it’s clinicals. The best hospital in that region is Yale, so I’d ask both FU and SHU if they have any placements there.

I’m guessing that CUA has the best access to top hospitals of any of your choices and there is good public transit in DC. That would be at the top of my list.

I don’t know as much about your Midwest options, but they’re all in big cities where there are good hospitals, so ask the right questions to find out how good the hospitals are at what access those nursing schools have to them.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

My friend’s D attended Fairfield for nursing - she enjoyed the school and had no problem finding a job after graduation.

I’d focus on finding the school that is the best fit for your S at a price you can comfortably afford.

1 Like

I would also give some consideration to where she may want to live post graduation. The Northeast, DC, or the German Triangle.

1 Like

Completely agree. Most likely hire is going to be in the area where the graduate is trained.

On the other hand, my daughter thought differently. After starting out in Boston, she volunteered for a year at the LA Free Clinic through Jesuit Volunteer Corps. She then signed up as a traveling nurse with stints in Chicago, Palo Alto/Bay Area, and NYC. She ended up connecting with her husband in NY and settling down in the NY area and works as a pediatric intensive care nurse at a major research hospital.

As a parent, I agreed with @Eeyore123 but kids have a mind of their own and there are different paths to get where you’re going.

For direct-admit nursing programs, check what the weed-out grades / GPA is.

For non-direct-admit nursing programs, check whether the secondary admission to the nursing major is competitive, competitive with minimum grades / GPA, or grades / GPA based.

Often, the above information is buried in the small print in the nursing major handbook at the school.

My daughter is a sophomore at CUA and loves her nursing faculty, course progression, and being in DC with access to future clinical is in so many impressive hospitals.
I will tell you this- in the fall I attended the freshman honor society initiation ceremony. I loved that the young/new members shared hugs with the Dean of the nursing school…. She knew them all personally AND she visited with them afterwards, knowing significant things about their lives.

Next year will be the first direct-admit class so I can’t speak to that

The only crossover that my daughter has is Salve and while she was originally keen on it, I think she is now leaning toward wanting to be in Boston. She is accepted at Emmanuel, which is a newer program (has a long running MSN), but is adjacent to the Longwood medical area mentioned earlier with strong clinical relationships. We are waiting on Northeastern as well.

My husband and I are Xavier alums and our son is a current sophomore. While I can’t speak to the Nursing program specifically, the overall Xavier education and experience has been top notch. My son started in Fall of 2020 and Xavier did a wonderful job of addressing the pandemic and assisting the incoming freshmen. They truly care about each student’s development, education and personal growth. There is a FB Xavier parent page. You can join as a perspective parent and ask specifically about the Nursing program. Parents are more then happy to share their experiences. Best of luck with the decision.