Nursing schools in midwest where D plans to apply - Are we missing any worth seeing?

My D plans to get her BSN. We have been to or are going to the following colleges this summer and she will likely apply to all and wait until all the financials come in to make a final decision. I’m encouraging her to apply to at least one private school and one in state smaller school as a safety. She has a UW GPA of 3.98 and 31 ACT.

• University of Minnesota, Twins Cities
  • Purdue University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Ohio State University (not DA)
  • Illinois State University
  • Marquette (private school choice)
  • UW - OshKosh (safety school choice - is DA for ACT 29 and above)

Are there any other good schools that we need to consider? The only non direct admit program she plans to apply to is Ohio State and that is because my husband and I are from Ohio and we are huge Buckeye fans. However, even if she’s admitted, she probably will not attend provided she gets direct admit entry at another school. I think she just wants to apply to see if she gets in because it’s always been her dream school. We currently live in Wisconsin and she thinks she wants to stay in the midwest. She wants a larger university.

You may want to take a look at Creighton in Omaha. It is direct admit, has a nice campus and with merit aid was substantially less than Marquette’s offer for nursing.

Maybe Xavier since you’ll be in Cincinnati anyway? She’d get some nice merit there and they are building a new health sciences facility that should be beautiful.

I would second Creighton or add UNL. I don’t remember the merit cut offs but she may be eligible for some at Lincoln. Omaha has many opportunities in healthcare. I’m in Omaha and got my masters at Creighton and D12 graduated from Lincoln in 2016 if you have questions.

<<<<<< I’m a little biased towards UC (my husband went there for two degrees and my daughter will start nursing there in the fall) but I will second the suggestion to look at Xavier if you are there. It’s a completely different vibe from UC and it may or may not work for you, but you might as well look.

I’d also look at Case Western Reserve near Cleveland, since you are in Ohio anyway. My daughter didn’t apply there, but I’ve heard great things about the nursing program.

Check out St. Louis University. It is direct admit and everyone I know got great merit aid and scholarships.

Thank you. I will certainly look into these options. We planned to look at University of Nebraska - Lincoln, but I don’t think it is direct admit, so we decided not to go.

If you do visit Case Western you might add a Hiram College visit to your list, too. Small, but usually meets need and has direct admit to nursing program. https://www.hiram.edu/academics/majors-minors/nursing/

Coe in Cedar Rapids, direct admit, I believe.

Plus Indiana Wesleyan, not sure how religious it is though.