Direct nursing program with possible softball playing

Hello, I have a freshman in hs. Looking into the near future, she wants a direct nursing program, with the possibility to play some level of softball. Any suggestions of schools? Tia

Fairfield University in Connecticut. Nursing program is top notch and has a softball team.

This list could be very extensive. You need to provide more information on terms of academic level, location size, D1 vs D3, etc. My D17 is a nursing student and varsity athlete. Some D1 schools would not even allow a nursing student to play a sport or only permit it for the first two years (which really means they hope you change your major) while others said it would be manageable. I truly question if a student could really manage nursing, clinicals and the travel of a D1 school. I would not recommend it

I think it’d be tough, regardless of the level of play, once clinicals start. Softball has considerably more games than other sports…double headers, tournaments…you can see that even in the high school athletic schedules. Softball games, due to being outside and needing some daylight, are also scheduled more often during the day, necessitating the student miss more school. Clinicals require the permission/cooperation of the clinical site. How many times do you think an instructor will make arrangements with the site and go himself or herself (possibly) to supervise for a student who has to make up clinical due to a softball game? Clinicals often don’t start until junior year, so it may be possible to pay for the first half of the college career.

would you share where your D17 attends school? My D , a HS Senior is looking at a D3, with a large roster, that allows softball for nurses.

The best bet is to look at schools your D is interested in that have Direct Entry to the Nursing program, and look at the softball roster. That is what we did not my D, who has yet to make her final decision to do both. IF you are looking at D1, D2, I would not suggest nursing, but rather choose a major that nursing prereqs can me taken, then apply for a 18-24 month Masters in nsg or accelerated BSN after undergrad degree is obtained.

There are a few division 2 schools that have nursing and softball. Florida Southern, Regis (Colorado) and Wheeling Jesuit are some. You’d have to ask them how they make it work.

I know that Florida Southern had 7-8 nursing majors on the lacrosse team. They were national champs or runners up for the last few years and these players all made the conference honor roll and a few were All Americans.

I would not advocate planning on 6 years of schooling to become a nurse, especially a plan where the actual nursing prep is post-back and most likely full pay.

I agree, 6 years is not ideal, BUT if they want to play D1, and that is their priority, there is very little chance to do Nursing as an undergrad, and there is an option to go post undergrad to an accelerated program and come up with your MSN. The student will need to make a choice, softball or Nursing. My D is looking at D3 softball, and specifically did so to avoid 6 years, even though she would end up with a Masters.

My daughter played a fall varsity sport for her first two years of nursing school. She knew in advance that she would not be able to play after that, particularly since the clinicals started up spring semester 2nd year of college. That was fine with her - she was ready to move on. I’d suggest looking at a division 3 college where the sport does not absorb all of your free time, and where the team does not need to travel enormously long distances.

Every high school student athlete should keep in mind that most colleges are division III, and they are forbidden by the NCAA from offering any athletic scholarships. You are better off qualifying for academic scholarships.