Diversity at Bama

<p>With great respect for the faculty and high academic standards at UA, I do admit I am looking at the school for my DD (first in her class, 99% scores, great ECs) because we have had financial setbacks that make colleges with generous aid–financial and merit–of which UA seems to be one especially–attractive to me. But something has been playing on my thoughts for some time and I thought I would ask for feedback. I am glad that almost half of US students come from out of state, but I am disappointed that diversity is low, especially Asian-American diversity (a mere2%) because my daughters are adopted from China. Copy and Paste from the UA website:</p>

<p>53% come from Alabama
42% come from elsewhere in the United States
4% are international students from 77 countries
29% of our undergraduates belong to sororities or fraternities
55% are women
12% are African-American
3% are Hispanic-American
2% are Asian-American</p>

<p>I feel bad to think of my daughter all alone in her Chinese-American skin,and I am terribly disappointed that only 4% of students are international. To me, this is a very, very, low percentage, and a major drawback to a satisfying college experience. By any chance of a miracle, is UA making strenuous efforts to improve their diversity by the time my daughter is a freshman in 2 1/2 years? Am I overthinking this as a parent? My daughters are “truly American”; they have no angst–even interest–in their birth parents but they LOOK Chinese…and how unfortunate to have so few international students, to whom exposure can only be an excellent thing. What accounts for such a low percentage of Asian American students and International Students at UA?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Your Ds will be fine. Actually, there are more Asian students then reported because Asian intls are NOT included in the Asian numbers. A good % of Bama’s intls are from Asia, with some coming from South America and other places. So, it may not be much more, but it probably is 2% more.</p>

<p>When you walk around Bama, there ARE Asian students. No, it is not like walking on a UC campus…ha ha…(i am from Calif, and my son’s Vietnamese GF from Alabama likes to say, “Hey, I’m with my peeps when I visit Calif”. </p>

<p>I think because a good number of grad students are from Asia at Bama, but they arent counted anywhere in those numbers (not even the 4%), that there are Asian faces on campus. :)</p>

<p>Yes, Bama should have more intls and more Asians. I think the issue is more that Asian Americans are found largely on the west coast and NE…so they tend to go to schools there. I think Asian intls are also more attracted to schools by the east or west coast. </p>

<p>I will be frank with you. Since your D’s have been raised in the US, and are “truly Americanized” they will be fine. I think it is always harder for intls whose primary language isnt English to have a harder time. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>lol…I think your D will find that she and her lovely skin will do fine. My half Chinese/half White niece will be visiting Bama this year, so I see how things go with her.</p>

<p>Can you visit Bama?</p>

<p>One last thought, and I dont meant to stereotype…lol…many/most of the Asian students at Bama are STEM or business students (some with music minors or dbl majors), so if your D will be as well, then likely she will find her classes to have more of an Asian concentration. </p>

<p>Thank you, dear Momw/2 college kids. I always value your posts. We live frugally in NY and will visit Bama if she gets in with a generous financial aid package. The same goes for Tulane. I am the same parent who wrote to ask about the French program at Bama. My daughter took the National French Exam and ranked 6th regionally and 11th nationally. We are very proud of her.</p>

<p>There is a gigantic difference between being a Chinese-American student and being an international student from China. In my very humble opinion, as the mother of an adoptee from China who attended school from elementary school through high school with a majority or plurality Chinese-American kids with Chinese/Chinese-American parents.</p>

<p>Of course being a person born in China raised by non-Chinese American is different from being Chinese-American raised by Chinese/Chinese-American parents is different, but not nearly as much as being from China.</p>

<p>Also, I assume that the 2 percent of Asian students also includes those from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.).</p>

<p>As an Asian-American Dad, we had concerns, but our DS has thrived at Bama. Please visit first then decide. The University of Alabama has been more than what we can ask in terms of opportunities and experience. He cannot wait to get back on campus in August…ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>Thank you both for your considerate replies. Yes, I often think of how people forget how East Asians must be pooled into that tiny 2% of “Asians.” Asian-American Dad, may I ask you, what state are you from? Why did you and your DS choose UA? I would appreciate it if you could take a brief minute to describe UA through your eyes. What is your son studying? Thank you! (Did i mention? We live in NY)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>all is very true. </p>

<p>@Dharmawheel I am an Asian American who will be starting my freshman year this fall. I too had my reservations about UA because of its low Asian enrollment. But my feelings have changed since my visit to UA. The atmosphere was welcoming and I did not feel uncomfortable. </p>

<p>My father and I selected UA as a safety school because of its merit scholarships for OOS but the more I researched the school the higher it went on my list of schools. I now look forward to starting my academic career at Alabama. </p>

<p>FYI I’m in Honors, CBHP and will study Engineering on the Presidential Scholarship. I would recommend that you take a visit. You and your daughter will be equally impressed, I’m sure of it. </p>

<p>Ripak14, congratulations to you on your outstanding academic achievement and best of luck at UA. I am excited for you that you are looking forward to school. Thank you for writing because, since you are Asian yourself, your words carry extra meaning. (My oldest of 3 Chinese-Am daughters is studying Engineering at a small LAC w/Engineeering in the NE. May you both do well in this challenging field!)</p>

<p>@Dharmawheel, I’m not Asian-American (nor is my Bama Bound son), but I am an adoptive mom (my younger son was an ethnic minority in his birth country) and the diversity of a student body was important to me as we visited potential schools for my older son. He just graduated from a Quaker school in the Northeast and had close friends of all ethnic groups–including a Chinese exchange student, several first-generation Asian-Americans, a Chinese adoptee of a Jewish family, and several mixed-race kids. Although we’re nonobservant Jews ourselves, it was also important to me that UA had a healthy and vibrant HIllel as well (it does!), and that we saw a mix of ethnic groups when we visited. </p>

<p>Although UA is nothing like you’d see at, say, UCSD, we were pleasantly surprised at the diversity we saw on campus. And the only way for it to become more diverse is for ethnic minority students to enroll. If at all possible, do visit with your daughter. I, too, think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming everyone is.</p>

<p>I am still online, and notice of your post popped up,and what a lift to my evening to read about your amazing family and your children’s experience at a fine Quaker school. I wish your son all the best at UA!</p>

<p>As for my small town, still dependent on farming and blue-collar jobs, my now 20-yr old adopted from China daughter was the first Asian child around, if I am correct . We are proud to have started a small “adopt from China” revolution in our small community as we ventured out years ago into the shops,church, preschool, and so forth. BTW, concerning Quakers, my small town’s 18th century Quaker meeting house was the first site in the US to “abhor and abolish slavery.”(Rev. War soldiers buried outside.) We also had Washington’s army spend a hellish winter on what is now called “Purgatory Hill.” PS Cute dog. Growing up, I had a pug named Lucy.</p>

<p>@Dharmawheel, originally from Queens, NY, but now in West Virginia, my DS is pre-med, biology/geography major, he felt wanted at UA compared to other schools, Presidential scholarship recipient, UA set a tone that he felt supported in his chosen field and then some. Please visit and have the honors college set your schedule, the diversity that we looked for is the top notch students from all over the US. All 50 states and 77 countries are now represented at UA.</p>

<p>Friday, the last day of finals week this spring semester, we go over to the baseball stadium to watch a game, the student section is filled to capacity, no more room. I’m shocked the kids are still on campus. My DS commented, “Dad, we love our school.”</p>

<p>I think that your kid will feel more special because she is not one of many but one of a chosen few!</p>

<p>Reading these positive posts makes me smile…a LOT! :)</p>

<p>Thanks to @Dharmawheel‌ for starting this thread and to those who’ve responded. I have a class of '15 daughter who was adopted from China and is now considering Alabama, and had a similar concern. Sounds like it would be just fine :)</p>

<p>@Dharmawheel, thank you for the kind words! Given your interests, you might want to check out UA’s Center for Ethics and Social Responsibility, which is headed by Stephen Black, the grandson of Justice Hugo Black:</p>

<p><a href=“http://cesr.ua.edu/about-us/staff/stephen-black/”>http://cesr.ua.edu/about-us/staff/stephen-black/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>NPR did a really nice story on him a few months ago, which I found truly inspiring:
<a href=“Alabama Tax Program Grows Out Of A Grandfather's Lasting Legacy : NPR”>Alabama Tax Program Grows Out Of A Grandfather's Lasting Legacy : NPR;

<p>He is also adjunct faculty in the Honors College and I believe he teaches this Honors seminar:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p><a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/honors/#courseinventory”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/honors/#courseinventory&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@hs2015mom, I’ll be able to tell you more about my son’s experiences firsthand after he gets down there, but we’re incredibly excited about all the opportunities that await him at UA. The scholarships are an amazing draw, but even without them, we were more impressed with Alabama than any other university we visited. My son was originally looking at elite LACs, but did a complete 180 after visiting Bama. It had everything he wanted and then some.</p>

<p>I love hearing about all of these adopted D’s from China! Bring 'em all to Bama! :)</p>

<p>Thank you mom2! (Sadly, adoption from China has declined, as those who follow his kind of news know…those of us to bring home daughters–and a few sons!–are so lucky!</p>

<p>Lucie, sorry for the late reply and thank you for the extensive and most useful info. I will remember your name and look forward to reading about how your son is thriving!</p>

<p>@Dharmawheel‌, just read this in the student paper and thought you might enjoy it. It’s a very frank perspective from a UA grad student from China. Interesting to get his perspective on life in Tuscaloosa!</p>

<p><a href=“Chinese international student discusses life - The Crimson White”>http://cw.ua.edu/article/2014/09/chinese-international-student-discusses-life&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>And another article that may be of interest:</p>

<p><a href=“Students host weekly dinner for international students - The Crimson White”>http://cw.ua.edu/article/2014/09/students-host-weekly-dinner-for-international-students&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Dharmawheel, I like that name. </p>