Diversity Fall Fly-In Programs

<p>Andbonner! Congrats to your daughter! I hope she enjoys her time at Middleburry. Fingers crossed for her for WOD. I’ve heard good things about that program as well.</p>

<p>Learning, thanks for the sage reminders about acceptances/rejections, the need to step back and look at the big picture, and most of all the importance of staying composed and allowing it all to unfold. You are SO right that this is good practice – for students and their families! With five fly-ins to attend, my D is excited but I now see the rejections as equally valuable since she is already learning not to take it personally, and practicing “love the school that loves you”!</p>

<p>Andbonner, how exciting for your D! I hope she has a blast at Midd. We visited Smith over the summer and everyone loved it (me and my D’s). If I could back to college, Smith would be at/near the top of the list! isn’t it wonderful that they get these in depth previews of colleges? congrats again :)</p>

<p>The other great thing about these things is working on the travel arrangements with the school/travel agency. I am headed to a West Coast college fly in, but live on the east coast. The reality of getting out there, then back home, in a 3 day span is not as fun as the thought of doing it! I am dreading the jet lag on both ends and finding out a lot about flight availability, connection options, etc.</p>

<p>My parents said that this is also good in terms of thinking about where in the country I want to be beyond the weather, city (and of course college!)…but also the logistics, cost and reality of how often I could or could not come home. </p>

<p>So another ‘plus’ for the fly-in lessons: I now have experience the thrill of acceptances, the frustration with rejection and the reality of the logistics of local, in driving distance and by flight only colleges!</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>@Honeybee, your daughter has a great attitude towards the process.</p>

<p>@ hsgrad, your parents are definitely providing some great food for thought.</p>

<p>Yes, there will be make up work. Don’t forget the laptops, you guys can take some of your work with you and get it done. No excuses :cool:. Especially the loooong flights or waiting for connection.</p>

<p>Hi guys, I applied to the programs at Williams, Pomona, Bowdoin, and Tufts… I’ve been rejected from Williams and Pomona so far (still waiting to hear from Tufts and Bowdoin), and it’s a bit disappointing, but I totally agree that it’s good practice for future rejections! However, my counselor thinks these schools are definitely possible/likely schools for me, and I believe I am a pretty strong candidate, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. I wanted to ask if these rejections/acceptances are any indication of the actual college rejections/acceptances? Thanks so much :)</p>

<p>Keep your head up yaanbear. Do not let the rejections deter you. </p>

<p>It’s not an indication of college admissions. Just go and write the hell out of your college essays and give them all the reasons to accept you. Good luck!</p>

<p>Yaanbear: Just a mom here but I do not think that fly in rejections are at all indicative of admissions. On various threads for the schools, you will hear students speak of not getting in the fly ins, but getting into the colleges and vice versa. Keep that in mind.
If you get in one, be glad and take the opportunity…but know that the journey (application and wait on decision) is just starting. If you do not get in, don’t be too discouraged.
It is not just grades and stats…it could be that you are from an area where they had a lot of applicants or they may have been looking for more of a certain gender or ethnicity (for instance, some really want more Native Americans to at least visit their school). Finally, remember that they only have a little room for fly in guest Keep trying!T</p>

<p>In general, how long after applying are students notified? Are only acceptances notified?</p>

<p>There’s a saying in the old testament, something like not wasting a merchant’s time if you don’t intend to purchase. Can’t help but think some of you are gunning for trips to schools you or your children have no intentions of attending. Why not leave these invites open to minorities that are REALLY interested in the school? Guess it’s more important to brag about being flown somewhere to friends & family.</p>

<p>Interesting observation, alopez14. I can tell you that I applied to several fly in programs with the encouragement and support of my parents and school counselor. Reason? I cannot know whether I would ultimately consider many of these schools unless I have a chance to visits, see the students, sit in on a class or two and get some type of feel for the college.
One that I applied to I have visited in the past. The others? On PAPER they seem to be a POSSIBLE fit…but the free visit will allow me to see if that is in fact that case (perhaps not fully, but at least I will have a better gauge). As for bragging rights…trust me on this: If you have taken part in the fly in applications, in all likelihood you will in fact receive your share of rejections or missed deadlines, etc. To a degree, it is a humbling experience more so than one that produces bragging rights. Getting in does make you feel good and excited and GRATEFUL. I would not have a chance to see most of these colleges without the flyins. But it also helps you understand that you won’t get all places you want, that there are other more qualifies than you and that sometimes those you think are not as qualified as you will get an opportunity your want. There is growth in all of that.
If others want to apply, go for it! That is why information is shared on this board. I cannot tell who is REALLY interested…but know that anyone who IS interested should have the options to apply.</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>p.s. My parents one main issue has been this: If I get in and for any reason cannot attend, the notification needs to be sent ASAP so that another who is waitlisted can have a chance. Fair enough.</p>

<p>Deljo: </p>

<p>Most programs tell you when you will receive notification of a decisions. Some give a general time frame (i.e. you will be notified the first week of Oct.) while others give a specific date. If you applied and are wondering, check back to your confirmation email to see if a notification date was mentioned. If not, you can email the admissions office to find out. I was notified of rejections as well as acceptances, FYI.
Good Luck–
HSG</p>

<p>Thank you @learninginprog and @taben1112! I really appreciate your responses :)</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone. My DD will be attending the Scripps overnight later this month. Anyone else attending?</p>

<p>Yes, headed to Scripps from the east coast. My flight is a bit brutal but this is the only way I will get to visit…so I am going! Did your D pick her class yet to sit in on?
HSG</p>

<p>hsgrad, if it make you feel any better, my D flew back from Bowdoin last Sunday on a 5:30 AM flight which meant leaving campus at 3:00 AM. The majority of students were flying out at this time and because the admissions staff was worried about kids sleeping through their alarms and missing flights, they enforced an all-nighter (first college all-nighter!). I’m totally serious; they set up snacks and movies in the Admissions Building and had the kids hang out there until 3:00 AM when they left for the airport! Crazy right? You may have a red eye but no one will stop you from sleeping lol! (it didn’t change D’s overwhelmingly positive opinion about Bowdoin!).
btw, I know a couple super nice girls who will be at Scripps if you want a name(s) to look for when you get there…if you’re interested I’ll PM you.</p>

<p>@alopez, there is not one, I repeat NOT ONE word in this thread to indicate that the students here who have been accepted to fly-in programs are any less deserving or less serious about a school than the hypothetical “other minorities” who you believe are “REALLY interested in the school”. In fact it seems pretty obvious that the kids who are actually applying to and being accepted to diversity programs ARE the ones who are interested.

1. these programs require lengthy applications including 500 word essays, recommendations, transcripts, etc. a sort of mini college app. I would suggest that the students who are REALLY INTERESTED in the programs are the ones who spent a substantial portion of their summer writing these applications not knowing whether they would be successful or not. Nobody makes these efforts and then goes to the trouble of making up missed schoolwork etc. just for fun. It’s a ridiculous claim.
  2. every student here who got into a fly-in was also rejected from one or more programs. This is a true disappointment after the time spent on the application, esp if they don’t have the resources to make the trip on their own.
  3. the arrogance displayed in your conviction that you know who should be attending the programs better than the admissions and diversity reps at the colleges themselves is typical of your attitude and posturing in other CC threads. But I find it particularly offensive here where you are attacking hopeful hard working kids who have a lot at stake in the college admissions process. Your general aggression and language, e.g. “scum”, “Your spreadsheet looks suspect as hell”, “screw that kid”, “take that loser down”, “your volunteering reads like complete BS…” etc. isn’t the norm or welcome here on CC, as I’m sure you noted from the many stern responses you’ve gotten on the UM/Detroit thread and others…
  4. If you are being belligerent here because you were rejected from diversity programs, I suggest you dispose of your bitterness and do some self examination to discover the reason for that. (Perhaps relentless negativity, blaming others, me against the world defiance, inflexibility, lack of teachability?). If you didn’t apply to fly-in programs and just came here to dump some of your rancor or even racism by make unkind and baseless accusations, I hope you will note that it is not welcome and does not go unnoticed…
  5. I want to point out that the complaint you launch here (i.e. my spot was stolen by someone less deserving) is the most common argument against diversity efforts, what we used to call affirmative action. It is sometimes claimed by unsuccessful applicants who belong to a racial majority that less qualified/undeserving minorities are taking the spots that they “should” have. Since this thread is in the AA forum and you are hispanic, perhaps you do believe that. However, you should avoid this way of thinking and engage in some serious self reflection about your perpetually combative nature here on CC.
    I know you are only 16, and have only been posting on CC for a few weeks; I ordinarily would not confront a young person in a forum like this, but the students you attack on this and other threads are also young and should not have to respond to your mean-spirited and specious accusations. I am not interested in any further discussion on this matter. Please consider your overall conduct on CC.</p>

<p>@yannbear, I meant to respond to you when you posted the other day…not being accepted to a fly-in program is absolutely NOT an indication of your chances of admission to a college. The programs are very selective and they also all have different goals - some try to bring in the widest possible range of geographical diversity (students who wouldn’t make it for a campus visit otherwise), and others have different approaches.
Right now I am mentoring a group of seniors most of whom applied to 3-6 fly-ins. Some of the best students in the bunch were rejected from 5 out of 5 that they applied to. It’s tough and a disappointment but it is good practice, as you noted. I know a couple guys who are attending Vassar and Pomona now, who were rejected from all the fly-ins last year but were then accepted to almost all those same colleges in RD admissions rounds. Also you still have two colleges to hear from! You can always call the colleges and ask them to give you feedback on your application since you weren’t admitted. Some students have done this and gotten useful info: your math grades were low, your scores, your essays, or just that they could only accept 15 % of applicants!!! You may hear something that will help you re-direct your application, or give you a goal for fall classes or testing.
Final thought: you will have admitted student days in the spring to visit (and many kids report they changed their minds between fall and spring of senior year.) so hang in there, keep researching your schools, and work on your applications :)!</p>

<p>@hsgrad…</p>

<p>Yes, she has sent in her request for classes. Her first choice was the Race in Popular Culture and Media.</p>

<p>Wescap…Lucky for her! That class was closed by the time I did mine. My dad is faxing my form today and I am putting in a request at school for my missed classes (have to do a ‘request’, but it is just a formality). I have 2 more in Nov. so hopefully Scripps, the furthest for me, will be good practice!</p>

<p>Would love to hear updates on other fly-ins…reviews from students.
HSG</p>

<p>picktails, </p>

<p>I also got an acceptance for the Voices of Tufts fly in. :slight_smile: I’ll be leaving on the 24th. Is this the one your daughter is attending? </p>

<p>I applied to the Middlebury fly in, but was told a week ago after contacting them that they never even received my application! Super bummed. :(</p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone has heard for the November fly in from Bowdoin? I’m super nervous that something’s happened like at Middlebury and they never recieved my application; we’re supposed to have been contacted by the 9th which I took to mean before the 9th. Any news for anyone??</p>

<p>Also, FYI, I got rejected by the Carleton and Colby fly-in’s as well. :/</p>