Do I have the only student in the whole school who isn't excited about football?

<p>D’13 is not a football fan, she is a band fan… Honestly I am not sure how this occurred because I live for football, not UA football but football just the same. So I am trying to get her into it, the game is on and she seems a little interested. Lol</p>

<p>S’s hs won state last yr and he is just now going to a game or two. Much to my chagrin, he doesn’t know a homerun from a touchdown. I hope if he does end up going to one he doesn’t embarrass himself! And not via face painting or something akin to that.</p>

<p>Guys in fraternities dress in navy jackets, ties & khakis for the games.</p>

<p>My D and her friends don’t wear game day dresses. Today they wore their jerseys. At first I thought it was really strange that girls wear dresses and heals to a football game, but they do look cute. It’s not really our style, though. I think you can wear whatever you are comfortable in. Well, unless you are in a frat or sorority. I think they have a dress code, especially for their pledges. I find this especially amusing because the girls go to class in oversized t-shirts and running shorts, but get dressed up for football games, where you are standing on bleachers and jumping and yelling for three hours.</p>

<p>some girls wear dresses. some girls wear jerseys. i am sure there are also some that just wear some sort of alabama tshirt. it is a huge stadium filled with over 100 thousand people. there will be people dressed all kinds of different ways.</p>

<p>It really is a free-for-all in terms of clothing. </p>

<p>The “sundress” idea is often just a casual sleeveless/strapless/spaghetti-strapped dress that is cool for the hot weather - some in houndstooth, red, black or whatever.</p>

<p>Girls shoes with sundresses will be anything from flats, to sandals, sandals with heels, to heels (I don’t get the heels part at all with stadium steps). When girls wear shorts/capris, then their tops are spirit T’s or jerseys or just a cute top. </p>

<p>I think the girls attire depends on whether they have a date for the game or they’re trying to catch the eye of some particular guy.</p>

<p>Frat pledges and maybe some actives are in blazers, shirts, ties…the rest of the guys are in shorts and Tshirts.</p>

<p>As soon as the weather changes, everyone will be bundled up in jackets, hats, gloves and scarves…and warm footwear.</p>

<p>No linny, your D isn’t the only one. DS really doesn’t have any interest in the games or the fanfare, though he is happy that we decided to come down this year to see it for ourselves (vs. a&m.)</p>

<p>My older son had no interest in Bama football when he enrolled. His high school didn’t have football at the time. He even missed the first home game that he had a ticket for. Then he went with friends to the next one and enjoyed it. Over the season he became a fan…not one that paints up or yells, but one that enjoys watching. He’s graduated and still watches the games. He loves Bama and the Tide.</p>

<p>However, he has a couple of friends who never went to games…no biggie…many students never go to any football games.</p>

<p>Okay, quick story…son was not originally that interested in football, but he did make friends who were. First semester, first game, there he was on TV all painted up in Bama’s colors! We were able to see him for most of the games right from our living-room!!! There were friends from all over the states who could see him!! I can tell you that it certainly made the games more exciting for us and for him. The young lady who did all the very artistic painting…houndstooth prints and beautiful lettering is no longer doing it, but it was fun while it lasted. </p>

<p>The point is, just joining in a group activity, even if it is not your favorite thing, can turn out to be surprisingly fun!!</p>

<p>To me, football games provide an excellent opportunity to meet people and have fun in the sun. My advice is to find some friends that are tailgating and hang out with them, making sure to ask if you can bring a bag of chips or something. Since student seating is general admission, you will likely be able to sit with these people at the game.</p>

<p>To give a rundown of my gameday, I usually tailgate with friends who are members of a club I’m in. Depending on the game, I go to other tailgates when invited. For example, before yesterday’s game I also went and met the Women’s Rugby team (any women interested in rugby should try out for the team), said hello to some people at the Honors College tailgate, and ended up at a friend’s family’s tailgate. Did I originally plan to go to the other tailgates? No, but it was great meeting new people and seeing how others tailgate.</p>

<p>Ohh, Sea_tide, I am a BIG fan of the women’s rugby team, know some of the team members. They were just featured in an newspaper article. I will be following their games this season. I am sure that they will not disappoint!!</p>

<p>Football is one of the biggest things keeping Bama down on the list for my HS senior. He believes he will be the only one who doesn’t embrace the cultural.</p>

<p>Glad to see he truly wouldn’t be the only one if he decides to attend.</p>

<p>Longhaul:
Football is big, but there are so many other things about Bama that need mentioning. Please, don’t let the “football culture” be the determining factor. Let the academics, Honors College, Extraordinary Scholarships, unbelievably beautiful campus, fast growing infrastructure, terrific leadership, Southern Hospitality, great people, outstanding programs, dynamite residence housing, the multitudes of organizations and clubs, the out of state freshmen percentage, the diversity, the best weather, the study abroad programs, the personalized touch and all the amazing opportunities BE the deciding factor. </p>

<p>I did not list these attributes in any particular order. :)</p>

<p>You do not have to be a die hard football fan. But you may be surprised to find out that you enjoy one of the many other sporting events that you can watch at UA. My daughter is particularly fond of gymnastics, soccer & wheelchair basketball.</p>

<p>S is a freshman and probably has never seen a whole football game before in his life (in person or on tv.) I bought him the A tickets and asked him to at least go to the first game. He went and had a good time. He said he plans to definitely use the other 3 tickets. He may never be a football lover, but I am sure he’ll end up being a Bama fan. (Plus he enjoyed watching his roommates in band, and everything else that is part of the whole experience.)</p>

<p>That’s just it, it is an experience. If you don’t like football, you might still not like football even after a Bama game, but give it a try. It is just another experience in life…</p>