Do I qualify as Hispanic?

<p>My mother's family is from Brazil. She was born there and immigrated to the US as a child. She has strong Brazilian roots/pride. I, too, share this pride. I speak a decent amount of Portuguese and am a dual citizen of the US and Brazil. </p>

<p>I am ethnically white. My mother's family came from Portugal and the Netherlands like 400 years ago. </p>

<p>I know there is often some gray area when it comes to the classification of Brazilians. For NHRP (which I applied for), Brazilians are definitely qualifies as Hispanic. But for the Common App, I don't see a definite definition. </p>

<p>Can anyone tell me what to put down? </p>

<p>Brazil is a grey area as you point out. It counts for NHRP. THE US Census Bureau Says, ““Hispanic or Latino” refers to a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish
culture or origin regardless of race.” Brazil is in South America obviously, but is not Spanish-speaking.</p>

<p>Check the box you feel comfortable checking.</p>

<p>There is further discussion here:</p>

<p><a href=“Hispanic/Latino defined - aka: AM I HISPANIC? - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/641650-hispanic-latino-defined-aka-am-i-hispanic-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;