Do UC's look at your first semester grades of senior year?

<p>i keep hearing different stories about the UC policy for senior year. from what i know, i thought that you can slack off only 2nd semester of senior year, but not first because first semester senior year grades are looked at during admission process.</p>

<p>No. You must maintain at least a 3.0. You will send final transcripts at the end of the year. If you have not kept this standard, your admission will be rescinded.</p>

<p>oh man that kinda sucks. i was hoping i could take 6 APS my senior year and get all A's and perhaps get a high GPA. that means UC's only look at my non-senior year grades.. it also wouldnt help my admission because the college wouldnt even see my senior year grades, not until my final year, long after you have applied. then does this senior year policy work the same for private colleges like ivy, usc, and duke?</p>

<p>Yes, it does. Generally As and Bs are good. At some, getting a C means writing a letter of explanation.</p>

<p>Privates often require a midyear report. UCs do not, unless you are asked for augmented review, which means you need to give additional info (a questionnaire, short essays, and/or your first semester grades). Otherwise, UCs don't see your senior-year grades until after you've been accepted and decided to attend, in which case you'd have your transcript sent by mid-July.</p>

<p>what if you get almost all A's a couple of B's and ONE C what happens then?</p>

<p>^Probably nothing. You're not really in trouble until you have (a) a senior year transcript full of C's or (b) a D (or worse) in at least one class.</p>

<p>^does anyone have any concrete evidence (websites, counselors, etc) to support that?</p>

<p>My friend got a D in a Calculus class and got rescinded from UCLA. Yes, only one D. Be sure to maintain a 3.0 non-weighted GPA for second semester, and you should be fine.</p>

<p>UCs do look at the rigor of your senior year classes, so it does help to take those APs. And if you end up getting high GPA w/those tough classes during your senior year, I think you can also use that to appeal if a UC rejects you.</p>

<p>From what I recall...</p>

<p>All besides UCLA/Berkeley - 3.0 weighted GPA for both semesters</p>

<p>UCLA - 3.0 AVERAGE unweighted GPA for both semesters</p>

<p>UCB - 3.0 unweighted GPA for both semesters</p>

<p>And I don't think you can get a D in any class for any of the schools. You'll probably get rescinded.</p>

<p>An "atypical D" in the first semester of a senior year AP class (not a required class for UC eligibility or for high school graduation) does not always cause admission to be rescinded.</p>

<p>^so uc's will not look at senior grades, but may rescind you once you get accepted?</p>

<p>Not completely true. For a small percentage of applicants to the top few schools in the UC system, the admissions committee will request supplemental information before deciding. They contact you in this case and as part of the supplemental request they almost always include a request for the first semester senior year grades.</p>

<p>QUESTION</p>

<p>do the UC’s use the first semester of senior year when admitting students? or is it just grades 10 and 11?</p>

<p>rider is correct. For a small number of cases – students on the bubble – a campus will ask for additional information, including first semester grades. It’s called Augmented Review.</p>

<p>which kinds of students do they ask to fill out the supplement info?</p>

<p>There are three I believe - one to explain a personal challenge, one to explain/highlight a special skill (my son got this one for his athletics) and one for those who are academically borderline.</p>

<p>IMO, it’s the first two items that momfirst noted that are important for kids on the bubble (#3). UC is BIG on overcoming challenges, so Augmented Review gives kids on the bubble a chance to make their case. </p>

<p>The standard, suburban academic boderline has little chance of becoming an AR candidate…</p>

<p>Well I know the one for special skill/talent isn’t always for students on the bubble. My son had a 4.8 GPA, a 34 ACT and was a nationally ranked athlete. I was told that in his case the supplement was for scholarship considerations.</p>

<p>^^Perhaps we are discussing two different things. Augmented Review, to which I was referring, is targeted towards “an applicant that is close to being competitive for admission but lacking essential information or particularly challenging due to unique circumstances…” (Source: UC documents. The bolded part is why I say ‘on the bubble’.) AR is requested by an admissions reader, for the purpose of admissions. </p>

<p>Scholarships are a whole 'nother issue. Obviously, your son was well qualified for admissions. And, I might inquire, was your S recruited, such that the coach trying to get him an academic scholarship, thus saving ncaa athletic scholarships?</p>