Do You Agree With Affirmative Action?

As a white student, I have to say I hate the idea of it. Don’t get me wrong - I understand that it’s not giving a significant boost, I understand that race alone does not get one into a school. But overall, I think it’s unfair. Why should it be “harder” for Asians, and “easier” for minorities?

I live in a very white populated area - there are maybe 2 black students in my graduating class, and I really want an opinion of affirmative action from the other side.

Please give me the reasons as to why you do or do not agree with affirmative action.

I’m sure this has been asked 1000x in different ways, but I’d like fresh opinions.

Thanks

There is a specific thread for discussion on affirmative action. Please refer to that.

@jamesjunkers‌ “As a white student, I have to say I hate the idea of it.”

Wow, you hate the idea of a societal catalyst that doesn’t benefit you? What’s “unfair” is that the disadvantages in education black students face start as young at Pre-K, the lack of funding in urban school districts, and the lack of resources in many black communities.

Thinking compassionately, you did make it clear you were not from a very diverse area, so opportunities to learn about such a topic may be scarce.

I think this WP article explains it pretty well. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/07/03/why-we-still-need-affirmative-action-for-african-americans-in-college-admissions/

“I really want an opinion of affirmative action from the other side.” you mean you want to find a token black person in this thread who agrees with you on AA so you can quote him/her to your friends and feel less racist

Why can’t white people stay in their lane? Why do white people always have to interfere in black spaces?

I think it’s worth mentioning that Asians tend to represent the highest percentage in elite universities in terms of minorities. I think it’s honestly just that a lot more Asians are applying than colleges want to accept.
I remember one of my friends telling me how one of his brothers friends participated in the teach for America program, where college graduates teAch students in urban communities. One of his african American students didn’t even know if columbia was a good college.

@midwestbandie: I see your point criticizing my definition of fair, so let me elaborate a bit. Students who are given less opportunities in education should have an advantage in college admissions. If you go to a low-end school, where only 1 AP course is offered, and there are basically no clubs, of course you should have that noted during admissions. However, I don't think that race is the defining characteristic. There are plenty of "white-neighborhoods" that are what I described, as well as many black, hispanic, asian, etc. neighborhoods. Thank you for pointing out that this topic is not one discussed in my community - that's completely true. And when people do discuss it, I'm sure they're misinformed and exaggerating. My friend got rejected from Penn, and said "I would've gotten in if I were black," and everyone agreed with him. I understand this is false. But back to my point, race isn't the defining characteristic. The few black students in my grade should not get a boost (even a small one) over me - they are at no disadvantage that I see.

@Jellybae: No actually that's not it at all. But thank you so much for coming to that conclusion - let's assume all white kids are racist, seems fair. As @midwestbandie was saying, I am not exposed to the other side of the argument. Everything I hear is fabricated, so I wanted to go to an anonymous forum, and hear a different opinion. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to give.

@BeStillMyHeart: I'm sorry for "interfering" on your "black space." I just feel that I'd get completely different answers if I asked this in a "Caucasian Students" forum. Also, what you said is the definition of segregation, which is something I believe most people want to get rid of.

@mubaracus: I understand that Asians represent a high percentage in elite universities. Not the highest - that “honor” is still given to the whites. For example, here is a recent breakdown of Harvard:
Asian/Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 15%
Black or African American: 6%
Hispanic/Latino: 9%
White: 48%
Two or More Races: 5%
Race/Ethnicity Unknown: 6%
Non-Resident Alien: 11%
Anyways, as I said in my first response in this post, I agree that disadvantaged students should be given a boost. However, I don’t agree with race being the deciding factor on who is disadvantaged.

@jamesjunkers‌ “I am not exposed to the other side of the argument” so you come to the black kids’ forum and demand us to educate you??? Google is a valuable resource.

@Jellybae: In what way am I “demanding” you to educate me. If you don’t want to answer the question, don’t answer it, I’m not forcing you to respond. Google will give me editorials and the alike, however an anonymous forum allows me to get the opinion of random students. In addition, with a forum, I can question certain responses, and voice my feedback, and see where that leads the discussion. Please never assume that I demand you to educate me.

@jamesjunkers it’s not segregation. Segregation had political, social, and economic consequences. Black people just need a place to talk about things without white people jumping in with their opinions.

Since Jellybae is locked up, I’ll speak for her and say that everybody is racist somewhat because we live in a white supremacist society.

…and that’s the reason you came to this forum. Because most white people think the affirmative action is reverse racism.

I agree with affirmative action. I don’t think it do enough, and it actually helps white males the most.

My reason? Segregation and the political, social, and economic consequences it had on black folks.

If you want to know more, there’s plenty of articles online written by black people.

Yea just as a note I said highest represented “minority”.
I think the thing about affirmative axion is that a lot of colleges nowadays don’t really practice it for what people think it is, which in my opinion is to bring race into admissions maybe to compensate for disadvantages and inequalities within races such as Africans Americans for past injustices (though a few colleges do embrace that they commit affirmative action).

This the kind of ambiguous policy of “affirmative action” can also serve for the purpose of creating “diversity” on the campus which I agree with. Though I did put quotations because “diversity” itself is even ambiguous. However a lot a people ignore the many other attempts colleges make and even organizations make for equal opportunity. Take the national merit corporation for example. In NJ to become a national merit finalist you need a score of around 225. At other states your scores can be as low as 205.

Thus I think the argument of affirmative action is not as prevalent as we think it is, at least in elite universities in that people are accepted just for the sake of race for the actual sake of campus diversity. A student from state like Iowa might be accepted to a prestigious institution for with slightly lower scores than somebody from a more competitive state (though this Iowa applicant will surely have proved himself qualified to handle the work) just based off what he can add to the “diversity” of the campus.

@BeStillMyHeart: You're right. That is the reason I came to the forum. Unfortunately where I live everyone disagrees with affirmative action because it is "unjust and unfair." So I came here for a different opinion. Not to express my racist attitude as some of you seem to think.

@mubaracus: I missed the minority part - you are correct, my apologies. Also, thank you for your opinion. Speaking of it from a pure diversity POV makes much more sense to me. Your comparison to the Iowa student put it into perspective. Thank you.

I welcome anyone else (not demanding anyone else) to share their opinions so I can get a deeper insight onto the “fairness” of Affirmative Action. Thanks for all the responses so far.

@jamesjunkers‌ - While this has nothing to do with affirmative action, when looking at the statistics of % of Asian students at H, you also need to look at the percentage of Asian Americans in the US. According to the US Census Bureau, Asian Americans represented 5.3% of the population. If 15% of the students at H are Asian, they are an ORM. In 2012, African Americans comprised 14.2% of the population; therefore, at 6%, they are an URM at Harvard.

@momofmusician17: That’s a great point. Didn’t think of it. Thanks

This: “There is a specific thread for discussion on affirmative action. Please refer to that.”