Do you like being "the only one" in high school.

<p>You guys realize that you’re not actually the “only one” right?
Being a racial minority in the United States sucks a lot. You might be the only black kid, but there’s probably also an “only” Mexican kid or an “only” Jewish kid or an “only” Arab kid. I went to a mostly-white middle school as an Arab and I remember befriending a lot of the African American and Jewish kids. I was definitely the only Arab person, but I wasn’t the only minority.
Racism totally sucks, but at least know that you’re not completely alone :)</p>

<p>Being the “only one” translates to being the only black kid in their classes. Not the only poc. Don’t disregard the feelings others have. It’s discouraging when you’re the only black kid because if you don’t do extremely well, people will almost always overlook your capabilities… Happened to me freshman year when I bombed the first test. Teacher didn’t even give me a glance. Students approached me to try and tokenize me into being their black friend that gives out free n word passes. I made straight 100s on the next ones and teacher finally looked at me. Students realized I didn’t care for them. Situations like this happen to other only poc in their classes but it’s not the same as this. You’re Arab. Are you black? If not, why are you in this thread?</p>

<p>My HS, which was and is consistently ranked as the best public HS in the state, was over 40% black. However, honors and AP classes were usually under 10% black. Sometimes, I was the only one; sometimes, I was one of two or three out of nearly thirty. The black kids in these classes were always the same few kids. In fact, I remember counting for my parents once and telling them that I had a total of 5 black classmates. </p>

<p>Of course, grades were a large part of getting into advanced classes, but so was qualitative teacher approval. I knew many black kids in regular classes who had the exact same grades as white kids who were recommended for advanced classes. </p>

<p>But college (MIT) was even less black. Somewhere around 8%, I believe. I bragged to my sister, because her college (Northwestern) was about 4% black while she was there.</p>

<p>I work in Manhattan now and there’s very little racial diversity at my company.</p>

So what if you are the only one! Be confident and comfortable with yourself and you will see that others–no matter the race will gravitate to you. The ignorance can be eradicated with just one.

You are both fortunate and unfortunate.

Unfortunate because sometimes it’s nice to have friends that just understand stuff and don’t have to have things explained to them.

Fortunate because you are learning at a young age how to navigate in a world that has privilege and opportunity.

I grew up very underprivileged and now live and work in a much more privileged situation. First, the privileged have problems too. Many of them and they can be quite bad. It’s no bed of roses. And the underprivileged receive many blessings. Both sides experience good and bad but usually of a different nature.

Being the ‘only’ doesn’t make you the representative folks expect you to be. You don’t have to apologize for or defend all black people. You need to be you and to do you and not let anyone disrespect you, ever. Cultivate your character and demand to be judged based on that and that only. When people try to lump you into a group, remind them that you are an individual with your own mind and that you are(at least you should) proud of your people and their rich history of sacrifice, intellect, strength and triumph in the face of horrific and inhuman treatment. Bam!!!

Oh, and here is my own personal warning when it comes to education.

Get the best and highest education you can get. Race should be the last consideration. I graduated from an HBCU and that was the absolute best thing for me. It lifted me up higher from where I was at the time I went to school. Wherever you go, you should challenge and uplift you. So, an HBCU may or may not be best for YOU. Only you know for sure.

@DartmouthGirl‌ Go to Spelman. And Spelman is a well-known feeder school to reputable graduate programs, including those at Ivy League schools (they come to Spelman to recruit).

I think Spelman will be very rewarding, the school is very rigorous (I know a Spelman graduate who said Spelman was way harder than Columbia which is where she got her masters), will boost your confidence as a black woman (black student associations don’t compare to THE HBCU experience), and your social life will be way more robust/memorable/lively at Spelman compared to Dartmouth which is just as important in your development as a an exceptional/sensible/well-rounded individual.

Spelman19 ... if you don't make the fall class, hopefully you are accepted as a transfer the following year

Can I come out and say that sometimes I like being the “only one”.
There’s a part of me that appreciates being set off from the crowd, and different. Perhaps I don’t deal with as many negative preconceptions because the the reputation I carry around the school. And also, my classes are relatively diverse. Although I’m often the only black person, the room isn’t this solid wall of white, it’s a mix of white, korean, arab, indian, chinese, and other.
So I haven’t felt singled out as much as unique.