Being black and having a school with low diversity as a top choice

<p>Would it be weird to go to a college with few other african americans? I've always lived in a mostly white area and most of my friends aren't black. But for college I kind of want to meet other academically motivated black students like me so I can diversify my circle of friends and have more friends of my race (not that race is all that matters to me). I know dating would be harder for a black student at a mostly white school. I'm totally cool with dating outside of my race but I know a lot of other people aren't. One of the safety schools I'm looking at is not very diverse and I already eliminated a school that I kind of like because of its lack of diversity. And if you're familiar with north carolina at all, the school I'm talking about is university of north carolina at wilmington.</p>

<p>What are the demographics of UNCW?</p>

<p>Uncw is 85% white, 5% Hispanic, 5% african american, 2% asian, 1% native american</p>

<p>And about 13,000 students</p>

<p>When I was initially looking at schools to apply to, I crossed some off my list immediately after looking at their diversity stats. It’s probably one of the most important criteria for me, especially because my high school is super diverse (just in general, not just AAs). It would definitely be nice to have more super motivated AA friends in college, but I personally would be happy at a school with a lot of other minorities in general.</p>

<p>I obviously have a lot of white friends too and low diversity isn’t inherently a horrible thing, but it’s definitely not what I’ve been used to. That being said, the majority of my minority friends are usually hispanic or asian. As much as I hate to say this, I’ve sort of become used to not having a lot of black friends because there are few (in my school anyway) that I relate to academically. I think 25-30% of my hs is black, but the ones in AP classes are usually slackers. But hopeful that’ll change in college :)</p>

<p>I’m a little hesitant about this too. For most of my education thus far, I’ve attended predominantly white schools but my high school was reallllly diverse (15% of just about everything) so I got used to having high diversity. My college of choice isn’t as diverse as I’d hope for but I would like to point out that I am very excited to attend a school with African Americans that I do relate to academically as well! :)</p>

<p>As an African American you many choices. Most top universities actively recruit minorities and the numbers are clearly better than UNC W. So why are you so pegged to this school?</p>

<p>@Anjintrader
I like uncw but its a safety. UNC chapel hill is my first choice. But in case I don’t get in, I’d go to uncw or east carolina. Sure other universities have better stats than unc wilmington but I don’t think numbers tell the whole story. There’s nothing like touring and talking to other students and making your own decision. I feel like its more accurate than basing what college you go to on how an organization ranks it in comparison to another school. I like uncw because its in a nice sized area, the college of health and human sciences (the one for the major I want) was just redone and has great facilities, it has a laid back atmosphere, and I feel like I could fit in there and find good friends.</p>

<p>Snow bunnies will be all over you.</p>

<p>@slikkk
What are snow bunnies?</p>

<p>@slikkk okay I googled it.
Annnnnnd, your statement is inaccurate because I’m a straight FEMALE. just wanted to clear that up. I’m a girl, everyone.</p>

<p>There’s plenty of teriffic black students at most colleges. The only question is whether or not you are one of them. Your post is elitist so you’re either a ■■■■■ or you honestly believe that you’re superior to other black students? You also seem to be ignorant as to the law of large numbers, demonstrating that maybe other black students should be weary of going to school with the likes of you.</p>

<p>I crossed a school off my list as well because of lack of diversity. My school is diverse as well, but sadly there aren’t a lot of AA in the honors/AP classes. There’ll probably be the most of 2 or 3 AA students in my class, but there are still a lot of minorities in my classes. I barely have AA friends and I hope that will change a little in college. :slight_smile: I want to diversify my friendship circle a little more! lol</p>

<p>Oh, idk what led me to believe you were male. I generally assume most posters on this site are female.</p>

<p>@sosomenza
What the heck is your problem??? :confused:</p>

<p>@soso
Why so hostile? No one said they were “better” than anyone else. If we want to be completely honest and cut out all of the PC bs, it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that AA students generally don’t perform as well as other races. Statistics prove that. That’s why it’s not exactly easy to find competitive schools with a large AA population. This thread is just about finding similarly minded AA friends in college. You seriously need to calm yourself.</p>

<p>@ OP, I was just looking at college results(dot) org. You may want to take a second to visit the site and type in “Wilimington” and look up UNCW. Check out their 4 year graduation rate. Its something that you may want to consider. Its something you should check out for all of the schools that you are applying to. Good luck!!!</p>

<p>Ipod: the problem is that some opportunistic person will take advantage of the OP in order to make more disparaging remarks about minorities. Why do they do this? I don’t know. Perhaps you know? BTW since the OP is allegedly black your AA argument is illogical. PC is here for a reason. It is not BS. It is an important part of this country’s evolvement that goes far beyond school and grades. Honor it!</p>

<p>@sosomenza
I don’t think I’m better than anyone. I never said that. But it’s true that a african American students tend to not strive for high academic achievement and since you brought up the law of large numbers, this statement is proven by the law of large numbers. I’m not stuck up but I honestly can’t relate to 98% of the african americans at my school. We dress differently, speak differently, like different music, like different guys, and I’m much more focused on challenging school work. Throughout my life I’ve been constantly ostracized by my own race for having a love for education and success. If I had a nickel for every time another african American told me “you act/ talk/ dress like a white girl” as if all white people act the same. We want change in our race and scratch our heads and wonder why african americans are out performed by other races in the classroom. Here’s a hint: the numbers won’t get any better until our race stops making fun of the black kid that likes to read. Until our race stops likening speaking proper English to “talking like a white person”, we’ll never see change. The fear of ostracism is a strong deterrent for some and it keeps them from meeting their full academic potential. I never worried about the ostracism but I definitely happened to me and I think it’s so silly. When I leave high school, I want to find other like minded african americans so we can be friends. I don’t know how my original post came off as “elitist” and “me thinking I’m better than someone” to you.</p>

<p>Sosomenza - PC has nothing to do with an evolving society. PC simply means people are “careful” about what they say in front of other people, and don’t say certain things in public. How does that help us evolve? To evolve, people must instead THINK about what they’re saying, and rather than simply craft something polite to say, instead think about why what they were about to say isn’t polite - perhaps because it isn’t true.</p>

<p>OP, I wouldn’t worry too much about the overall diversity of a campus. Why? because I suspect you want to meet like minded people more than you want to meet people of any specific race. If you go to a top school, where everyone wants to learn, and had to work hard just to be there, you will find what you want. There may not be a large population of AA, but the ones you meet will be the ones you are looking for.</p>

<p>If instead you look for a moderately good school with higher diversity, you will see something closer to the population at your high school. Huge schools are easier to get into, so a significant number of the students on campus (minority or otherwise) won’t be the ones you’re looking for. It’s easier to spot the African Americans among a large group of highly motivated students, than to try to identitfy the highly motivated students among any large group of students.</p>