Do you need to be Greek to be social?

<p>I know that the Greek scene does not dominate the Madison campus. Since my intended career choice requires TONs of connections in the future, will joining a frat provides such advantage or not being a greek is still alright?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Others will weigh in with their experiences. I’ve thought about this alot. Obviously, it’s a personal decision, so you’ll need to sort thru what works for you. Joining greek life will definitely provide you a strong tie to those in the frat with you. At Wiscosin, it’s not necessary to join in order to develop those same relationships, perhaps with an even broader group. Not going greek, may mean that it’s not be as simple to accomplish as living with and socializing with the same group of guys for 4 years (going greek). </p>

<p>I would suggest that you sort thru in your own head, are frats right for me? Go to the orientation session for greek life and learn a little more. It sounds like you might have some doubts. Personally, I don’t think I’d join just for future networking benefits, but you need to figure that out for yourself. </p>

<p>Not all frats are the same. It’s also a decision that you don’t have to make on day 1 or semester 1.</p>

<p>There are many groups you can join and participate in to form life long relationships with people at Wisconsin. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The short answer to this would be an emphatic no, but if you’re looking to meet people and you were unsatisfied with your dorm experience in this regard frats can be a good way to do so. I would carefully weight what frat you join though, as they vary in environment and members about as widely as universities do in their academic quality and student body.</p>

<p>NO. Join activities that interest you to meet people with common ground. Since only a small percentage of UW students participate in the Greek system there is obviously a lot of social life outside of it. Investigate Greek life to see if that sort of social life suits you. Also be patient- you will change your social circles from those on your floor the first few weeks as you meet people in classes and groups you choose to try.</p>

<p>You are living on the Substance Free floor/hall of Sullivan and you are considering joining a Fraternity?</p>

<p>Madison85: Yes I am not much of a drinker, but like I said, I need connections for the future and I am thinking maybe being greek may help.</p>

<p>You can make better connections joining a group related to your major. If you are in business for example there are various groups and clubs for that, etc.</p>

<p>I agree with Barrons, connections may be forged more relevantly through clubs related to your intended major. (BTW, I have nothing against Greeks, all of my siblings and I were members of fraternities at UW).</p>

<p>Do not worry about future connections. So much will become clearer once you are on campus. I agree about connections with becoming involved in your major, no matter what it is.</p>

<p>Everything is better when Greek. The connections you mentioned are one of the many benefits</p>

<p>Disagree totally- especially at UW. The vast majority don’t need the crutch of those social clubs to have a great social life. Unlike some campuses UW does not reolve around the Greek system. They are a small group who has no impact on 90% of the students.Connections are made within dorms, especially first semester. Then with classmates and those involved in one’s major. Do not limit yourself to a small group of people.</p>

<p>It’s my understanding that frats have “rush” week when you can see what they have to offer and they check you out as a fit for the house. My relative who was in a frat says the best thing is having a place to go to pre and post football games.</p>

<p>Does UW have a really strong alumni network? I know Michigan’s is really strong and it basically covers every single part of the world. To me, seems like the majority of the UW’s student body comes from Wisconsin and Midwest.</p>

<p>Check the alumni page of the UW website. There are alumni clubs all over that sponsor get togethers in their locale as well as funding scholarships to UW. People from Wisconsin do leave the state along with those who came from OOS for their UW education. But for connections you would be thinking of association with those in your field, whether it be biology, business, mathematics or anything else. Another consideration is that your world beyond college will widen just as your HS world will widen once you start college. Do not be overly concerned about things.</p>

<p>See P 34. Well over half live outside WI. </p>

<p><a href=“http://apa.wisc.edu/DataDigest/DATADIGEST_12.pdf[/url]”>http://apa.wisc.edu/DataDigest/DATADIGEST_12.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>interesting thanks ^</p>

<p>Don’t swallow all the Michigan hype.</p>

<p>Report on younger UW grads. Mixed picture?? Or pursuing dreams/opportunities.</p>

<p>[Report</a> paints mixed picture of UW-Madison](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/news/local/education/university/report-paints-mixed-picture-of-uw-madison/article_f6b77332-eb28-11e1-a1ab-0019bb2963f4.html?comment_form=true]Report”>http://host.madison.com/news/local/education/university/report-paints-mixed-picture-of-uw-madison/article_f6b77332-eb28-11e1-a1ab-0019bb2963f4.html?comment_form=true)</p>