Does Alabama superscore ACT scores for the guaranteed OOS merit scholarships?

<p>Hi, I was wondering if the University of Alabama superscores the ACT for the guaranteed out of state merit scholarships? My daughter’s best friend wants to attend but needs to get the 2/3 tuition scholarship in order to be able to afford it. We are OOS. Her highest composite ACT in 1 sitting is 28. But superscored (over 4 tests) she has a 30. A 30 would qualify for the scholarship. Thanks in advance for your help! :)</p>

<p>no, unfortunately.</p>

<p>No…it sounds like your D’s friend needs to try the SAT.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. She has already taken the SAT and fared much worse. She just took the ACT again last week after prepping all summer so we’ll see. Thanks again! :)</p>

<p>With some serious practice, it can be done. My son helped his best friend study for the ACT, and he went from an 25 to a 31…enough for free tuition as an instate student. (his parents were thrilled!)</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Ohiomom…my DD did exacty what you are trying to do. First ACT was 28. She did a test prep thru Revolution and retook it. Next score was a 30. We scheduled out visit to 'Bama because I promised. Once we came back from 'Bama she was on fire about getting the 32 as we are OOS.</p>

<p>She retook the ACT after spending a 6 weeks taking 7 or 8 practice tests, using a ACT book and doing online prep on her own w/ the CD that came w/ the test prep book. Her new and final score: 32! </p>

<p>The one thing that I did that made a lot of difference for her was to pay extra to get her answers and her test. It was hugely helpful in allowing her to see where she was weak and to review those areas. I honestly think that this is what helped her get the 32. </p>

<p>she was pretty darn proud of herself. I asked her if she wanted to go for a 34 and she almost thru the review book at me! lol<br>
GOOD LUCK to your D!</p>

<p>she was pretty darn proud of herself.</p>

<p>As she should be…she just earned over $80k in scholarship money. Congrats!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Ohiomom…if your D’s friend can’t afford to take an ACT class or get an ACT tutor…if your D can sit with her while she takes a practice test and they talk about each answer, your D will be able to share insights with her that she may be missing.</p>

<p>Or find someone who did well on the ACT and tutors for free/cheap. I did pretty good on both (but better on the ACT) and have tutored plenty of people on the ACT and SAT in my time, all for free. A lot of people just need someone who knows the test taking strategies, and who can contribute a different perspective on each question. And a big thing on the ACT is getting over the fear of that science section. It’s really just critical reading (though its like critical reading in Greek sometimes!), but most kids freak out about it because they think they have to memorize a ton of science, when all you really have to do is read through some charts or graphs carefully.</p>

<p>Congrats to your daughter buzymom3!! And good luck to all trying to improve their scores!</p>

<p>I agree. 10 char</p>