Does anyone actually have their offer rescinded?

Does anyone actually have their offer rescinded due to bad 2nd semester grades? My daughter is very worried about this, and I keep telling her to relax. Let’s say she gets two B minuses for the semester in math and science, she’ll be fine, right? What about two C’s? (I don’t think she’ll actually get these grades or get rescinded, just looking for assurance so she can take it a little easy the next few weeks).

1 Like

Yes

Correct

What about not playing what about? Rather, spend the energy on extra help or tutoring to ensure that grades aren’t an issue?

Colleges don’t want to rescind, and you really need to screw up to get rescinded.

As a general rule of thumb, don’t get a final grade of a D or more than one C.

6 Likes

The specific college should have conditions that they expect matriculating students to meet.

Sometimes, the conditions on grades may be explicit, like “GPA in in-progress courses must be at least X.Y with no grades lower than C”. In this case, the threshold for rescission is obvious.

Sometimes, the conditions on grades may be vague, like “we expect you to maintain your previous academic performance.” In that case, you may be guessing as to what the college’s threshold for rescission will be. Colleges with these types of conditions increase the stress factor on last semester high school seniors, who sometimes worry about dropping from (for example) a 4.0 to a 3.8.

But a D or F grade is typically a problem, regardless of the above.

2 Likes

She can take it easy, mostly. No D or F grades. A whole bunch of C’s might be a problem at some schools.

I had a student last year who “developed” senioritis. Several of his grades slipped to C’s. This prompted an email from the college asking him to explain the lower grades. The college wasn’t messing around. It was a pretty selective LAC. They were satisfied with his explanation, but I think the real purpose of the email was to put him on notice that they expected him to perform.

It’s not that hard to maintain good grades. A C or two, a few B’s are not usually a problem.

2 Likes

Frankly - if “B-” are “bad grades”, then I assume your daughter had “As” in that subject? So clearly a strong student, capable of mastering the material, turning in quality papers and preparing for exams.

In that case, to me as a parent a B would not be the end of the world, but if suddenly “Cs” are on the horizon, then with my style of parenting my “encouraging” would be aimed at the opposite of “assurance so she can take it a little easy the next few weeks”. That she seems to already have done this semester.

I realize kids, parenting and situations do differ - so, I’m daring an alternate perspective based on admittedly incomplete background.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.