Does anyone have younger children that might go to Bama?

<p>robotbldmom – good points!! All those other options you mention may come in VERY handy if DS 2 does not make the PSAT NMSF cutoff!! As you say, one test is not the be-all and end-all…although it did work wonders for DS 1.</p>

<p>^ good advice robotmom - of course it’s smart to cover all the bases, esp. since at PSAT time few students have a firm idea of what they want to do, much less where they want to do it.
Similar topic and not meaning to start a huge controversy, but I still find it puzzling that the PSAT score for NMF varies so wildly. Since we are close to retirement and our options are open we have casually discussed how much of an advantage it could be if we moved to a lower-threshold state (say Fla., where we are retiring to and have a place) in terms of the huge reward for making NMF, of course assuming DS2 like DS1 would be within a few points (who knows?) Of course this isn’t really practical as it would mean moving our son from his current high school, but still - I don’t think I’ll ever really understand the logic here.</p>

<p>You can sign up for the PSAT in 9th also. I am prepping my rising 9th grader (DD2) for the PSAT. We are using the Barron’s PSAT prep book. She has read through the Critical Reading section so far. This past weekend she took the 2 hour 10 minute practice test from the book and did well. The PSAT has a writing section but it is mostly on grammar and not an actual essay. </p>

<p>You can also prep using SAT prep books. Some of those books have the real SAT questions (The College Board Blue book and the 10 Real SAT tests). You can also sign up for the “Question of the Day” on College Board.</p>

<p>We are taking this prep seriously along with taking accelerated math courses and doing well in school. DD2 is excited that she may be able to get automatic scholarships based on PSAT, SAT and/or ACT scores. She sees how well her sister did with regards to scholarships and other opportunities.</p>

<p>AL, I don’t think that’s a controversial question at all. We have wondered the same thing. Massachusetts, where I’m from, has its NMSF PSAT cutoff at 223 – which is exactly what DS 1 scored, so he would have barely squeaked by if we lived in Mass. I lived much of my life in Mass., and I’m not convinced that the kids there are a whole lot smarter than they are here in NC. Or any smarter, for that matter. So, like you, we wish there were a more standard cutoff – maybe take the average of all the state cutoffs and apply it across the board. Just my two cents’ worth.</p>

<p>Now DS is a Sophomore, and also did extremely well on the PSAT this year. I am wondering if I should have him do a little test prep, and what the best prep would be? He was one point over NMF cut for this year, but if he drops or if the minimum raises next year it would be costly.</p>

<p>I would sign him up for a spring SAT for practice…and the Oct SAT for more practice. I would try to have him take a spring SAT where you can purchase the extra detailed score report which can be used over the summer.</p>

<p>I would also use the Collegeboard SAT practice book.</p>

<p>I’m in the same boat for D2’s upcoming PSATs. What someone mentioned on the main Parent’s board is that the October SAT is the weekend before the PSAT so I think I’m going to have D2 prep for that and take it, therefore prepping for the PSAT also. She scored higher on her sophomore year PSAT than D1 did and D2 made NMSF so I’m hopeful.</p>

<p>D1 took a prep PSAT in sophomore year; by the time D2 was a freshmen the GCs were suggesting that the gifted kids take it as freshmen too. So D2 has taken the PSAT as a freshman and sophomore.</p>

<p>As for the disparity in NMSF cutoffs: per Wikipedia “Each state is allocated a percentage of Semifinalists based on the percentage of that state’s graduating seniors out of the nation’s total.” Factor in that many states are more ACT centric vs. SAT (which will push the PSAT participation down in some areas) and that states educational systems are not at the same level nationwide and it helps you to understand why the cutoff scores are so different. Yup, it stinks if you’re in NJ or CA but in theory your education experience there should be of a better quality than say Arkansas.</p>

<p>In my son’s case, he took first took the SATs in 7th and 8th grades through the Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins and scored better than the average 12th grade at the time. However, we have found that he tests better when he perceives there is not much riding on the exam, i.e. minimal pressure, such as the SATs he took in Middle School and the PSATs, which he took in the sophomore and junior years. I don’t know if he would have done as well on the PSATs if he was pressured to get a high score to receive an NMF scholarship windfall. And while his SAT scores are high, subsequent study and practice tests did not increase his scores significantly.</p>

<p>There are lots of free test prep sites online for both ACT and (P)SAT. You can Google it. You will have to wade through some pay only stuff, but even some pay sites have free tests. Old test prep guideline books may contain some good practice questions. That was one thing my DD did.</p>

<p>Younger sister might in 3 years</p>

<p>I don’t know if he would have done as well on the PSATs if he was pressured to get a high score to receive an NMF scholarship windfall.</p>

<p>I worry about that re DS 2. Because of DS 1’s experience, DS 2 is convinced that his chances for a college education hinge on making the PSAT NMSF cutoff (214 in NC). I think we really, really need to take the pressure off…it’s not fair to the poor kid.</p>

<p>^^^Oh I hear you on that! We totally don’t mention the NMSF to D2, even though her testing has been higher than D1’s up till now. She knows and nobody has higher expectations for her than she does. I could have killed a couple of her teachers and her GC though. After it was announced that D1 was NMF last year, a few of D2s teachers asked “oh are you going to be an NMF like your S?” Sigh. As if it was that easy! And then last month her GC spent 5 minutes in a meeting talking about her sophomore year PSAT score and how it was just below the cutoff for TN and what she should do this summer to bump up the math because you know your sister had such great opportunities. Blah blah blah. </p>

<p>Obviously the GC didn’t see me giving her the look of death. And I wasn’t sitting close enough to kick her :wink: But I did have a chat with D2 that our expectations were that, as always, she’d just try her best. Oy vey.</p>

<p>We have just the opposite situation. DS2 is maybe as smart as D1, a different kind of smart, who can tell? He’s a better student study-wise and tests well, but you don’t really know until it all comes together. We have been instilling in him that it is not even a long-shot that he could do as well on these standardized tests as DS1, and he sees the benefits of a good score. I think for him a little test prep and pressure on might be helpful. Of course we wouldn’t be like this if they were miles apart academically, but given that at this point it’s unclear, he needs to know that it is important. He’s involved in waaaay too many music-related things (like 7 bands) so if we don’t make him make time for this it will pass like just another test.</p>

<p>Who knows? I definitely think because of this forum we’re going to get him in a PSAT earlier…</p>

<p>My youngest son has a great line that he uses in his classes with the same teachers who had his older brother.</p>

<p>“I’m not my brother.”</p>

<p>RobD, perhaps you need to tell D2 that, and just substitute, “sister.”</p>

<p>If she says it enough, teachers will learn not to mention it.</p>

<p>Thanks for responding.
Anyone else?</p>

<p>I have three daughters who are “firm verbals” to Bama – first one is a rising HS Senior, youngest is rising 7th grade… So firm, we went ahead and purchased a garden home in anticipation. RTR</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Awesome!!! </p>

<p>I hope the home didn’t sustain any tornado damage! I bet you could rent it out this year while some family is having their home fixed.</p>

<p>I just dropped my youngest son off at the airport who is headed to Bama Bound. He will join his middle brother that will start his fourth year at Bama (thanks to AP tests, he was considered a Senior last year). I have shared this info before but the two will also be suite mates in August. My oldest son attended The US Air Force Academy (only one year) and graduated from The Ohio State University. He proudly is serving all of us in Iraq in the Army Reserve. All three boys are very close and adore each other. </p>

<p>We did not even know the full advantages of being a NMF when the oldest took the PSAT test his Junior year. He still managed to get two appointments to two different Service Academies with a 31 on his ACT. When our middle son was named NMSF, we started to see the rewards that came with the accomplishment. By the time our youngest was a Sophomore, we had him sit for the PSAT exam for practice. He had already taken the ACT two times (scored a 28 then a 31). Knowing that the English portion of the PSAT was his weakest section, we had him meet with a tutor six times before the PSAT. It was very unfortunate that my youngest son had the flu the day of the PSAT. We also never considered requesting special accommodations even though he has ADHD, Tourettes Syndrom and extremely low Executive Function Skills that are well documented. Despite his challenges, he managed to earn Commended Scholar status. We are proud of his accomplishments non the less. The extra tutoring in the English section paid off in the long run. When my youngest son took his ACT (3rd time) in April of his Junior year (with accommodations in a separate room due to his audible tics - no extra time allowed), he scored a 34, qualifying him for the Presidential Scholarship at Alabama. </p>

<p>If parents of current HS Freshmen or Sophomores want to have their students prep for the PSAT without spending tons of money of Prep Courses, I have a suggestion. We purchased a book at Barnes and Noble that had 10 Full Length Practice Tests for the SAT. In the three weeks leading up to the PSAT Test, my son took one full length practice test (ONE SUBJECT ONLY) each night at the dining room table, using the timer on the stove. IMO, the key to mastering these tests is not the material. It is knowing how to manage your time. I know my son was disappointed that he did not score high enough to earn NMF but the practice paid off on the ACT. There was no stress leading up to the test date. </p>

<p>After the April ACT test, my youngest son was involved in an at fault auto accident (no injuries involved). He was bummed, yet accepted the fact that he would have to pay the $1000 deductible for the repairs to my van. Knowing how hard he worked to improve his ACT score, my husband told him we would reward him by covering half the deductible IF he scored a 32 (enough to qualify for the Presidential Scholarship at Alabama). To sweeten thereward, we told him if his score was a 34 or higher, we would cover the entire insurance deductible. Well… it was a win - win situation for all of us! My son scored a 34 on his ACT. He was rewarded with no deductible expense and we were rewarded with a huge reduction in tuition (especially since we are from out of state). The bottom line is, find a way to motivate your student. I do not consider it a bribe either. Get your HS student(s) to grasp the true cost of college. If they do their part by testing well and earning top scholarships, parents can then reward the student with (you have to find what works for your personal situation) XXXXX. No matter what the test score is, find a way to acknowledge your students efforts. In our case, our youngest son knows he did not let us down. He did the best he could under the circumstances on test day. We love him just the same. He also knows we are proud of his efforts. </p>

<p>We are so blessed to have bright kids. We are double blessed that they chose to join the family at the University of Alabama who have embraced their efforts. How can one not fall in love with a University that has leaders that embrace the qualities and character traits we have worked so hard to instill in our children. Successful students with a desire to serve their community will find not only a family at UA, they will find a HOME at the University of Alabama! RTR!!!</p>

<p>Especially on this day, but also ALWAYS, thank your eldest son for serving us, and his country! God bless him, and God bless America!!</p>