Does ELC make a huge difference for UC systems?

<p>Does having ELC help your admission into UC schools, preferably UCI and UCSB?</p>

<p>yes it does. For the past few years, ELC has meant automatic acceptance to SB and Irvine and Davis.</p>

<p>Definitely, as blue stated, last year automatic acceptance to UCI, UCD and UCSB. D also was accepted at UCB and UCLA so it must have helped.</p>

<p>How do we know if qualify for this?</p>

<p>UC will send out letters starting in late August thru late September.</p>

<p>[2008</a> Program Schedule](<a href=“http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/calendar.html]2008”>http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/calendar.html)</p>

<p>So if we qualify for this, we get an automatic acceptance to those campuses regardless the quality of our volunteer services, test scores, extracurricular activities, and such?</p>

<p>^^Last year, yes. Who knows what will happen this year. Of course, you still have to apply and take the required tests and pass the required a-g courses.</p>

<p>ELC is just top 4% of your HS depending on your courses taken. I wouldn’t say you’re guaranteed, but more like a really ‘likely letter’. My friend who was ranked 11/500ish(approx. top 2%) was rejected from UC Davis, although received acceptances from other middle-tiers and that does go for other UCs also. Its always going to be a game of chances no matter your statistics, so you can’t really do anything but to improve your stats and chances. ELC is approx. 98-99% accepted to UCI, UCSB, and UCD though. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Also, my friend got an ELC letter from SD but when acceptance letters came around he was actually rejected from SD.</p>

<p>D got letters from USCD, UC Merced and UCR at the end of October asking her to please apply to their schools but they were not a guarantee of admission, by the way she did get into UCSD also. Also rememeber that ELC is changing starting with the entering class of 2012, I think. It will no longer be the top 4%, my guess with the new rules, no UC will guarantee admission because the top 9% would be way to many kids to admit. It will probably just be “You will be admitted to one of the UC’s” as it is with the top 12.5% now. [UC</a> Regents Adopt Changes to Freshman Eligibility](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/]UC”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>UC’s do not do “likelies.” </p>

<p>In the past few years, ELC has meant guarantee, at those campuses designated by UC as the “ELC guarantee campuses”, i.e., Davis, Santa Barbara and Riverside. In addition, UCI is a growing campus so it has accepted 100% of ELC applicants under its comprehensive review program (but techinically, was not a “guarantee” campus). SD gives app points for ELC, but you still need to meet their point cutoff for admission, so it is not a guarantee nor a likely.And, of course, Merced accepts 100% of minimally-eligible applicants. </p>

<p>Remember, the UC re-ranks all students for ELC, in accordance with UC criteria – Soph & Junior, year, a-g courses only, bonus points for UC-approved honors/AP/IB, uncapped. UC does not care how your HS ranks its students, so someone could easily be top few % in accordance with HS ranking, but second decile in accordance to UC.</p>

<p>btw: The 1-2% of ELC’ers who are ultimately not accepted do not meet the minimal requirements for admission, i.e., missed an a-g course (VAPA?), failed a required a-g course (Alg II, Eng 4?), dropped below a 3.0 average senior year, did not complete the testing requirements, , etc. But they do receive an acceptance letter in March from those guarantee campuses if they pay the $60.</p>

<p>I’m getting mixed answers. </p>

<p>So ELC is a guaranteed admission if you are within the top 4% of your graduating class, have taken the proper tests, and have fulfilled your A-G requirements?</p>

<p>Are there any other perks to this such as scholarships and such?</p>

<p>Scholarships are not tied to ELC designation, although I’ll bet the vast majority you get Trustee Scholarships are also ELC.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Exactly, but not all the UCs. I was sent letters by Davis and Irvine guaranteeing my acceptance, and then after got accepted. I don’t know exactly which UCs will guarantee acceptance with ELC but I’m guessing all but Berkely, UCLA, and UCSD. But to answer the first question, having the ELC status makes a huge difference for sure.</p>

<p>To expand a bit… elc is campus by campus. For the past several years, UCD, UCSB, UCI have been elc-guaranteed campuses meaning if you complete all a-g, etc. you have a spot. Test scores, ec’s and the rest are not an issue at all. UCSD does give an edge to ELC students but no guarantee. It does send a letter in the fall to ELC students encouraging them to apply but in no way guarantees anything. UCSC, UCM, UCR have not designated themselves as ELC-guarantee campuses in the past but most would get in. As for scholarships, the regents scholarships are campus by campus. ELC students at the guarantee campuses stand a better chance because they are in the top tier but no guarantees. Similarly, ELC students at those campuses are often asked into the honors programs but not always. A large proportion of UCB and UCLA students were ELC students but that makes sense because of the selectivity of the campuses and pulling from higher ranked students over-all.</p>

<p>to put it more simply: if you complete all the minimal admission requirements, ELC GUARANTEES you admission to a campus the University of California, but not necessarily your first (or second or third…) choice. It might be Merced, but you are guaranteed a spot at a UC as long as you apply.</p>

<p>Sorry if this is a dumb question but if you’re eligible statewide can you still be eligible through elc.</p>

<p>“requirements for admission, i.e., missed an a-g course (VAPA?), failed a required a-g course (Alg II, Eng 4?), dropped below a 3.0 average senior year, did not complete the testing requirements, , etc. But they do receive an acceptance letter in March from those guarantee campuses if they pay the $60.”</p>

<p>That ELC friend of mine who was guaranteed to Davis and was rejected is attending UCLA so no, that’s not the reason. You are guaranteed to a campus but not a specific, even to the middle-tiers. Check the UC book for ELC(2008 Fall):
UCSB: 98.9%
UCSD: 89.1%
UCI: 95.8%
UCD: 99.3%
Something went wrong because he completed everything UC system asked for.</p>

<p>You can follow the link in UC Pathways and see admit rates for ELC and Qualified on track (Statewide eligibility) for 2008, the latest year available. [University</a> of California: StatFinder](<a href=“http://statfinder.ucop.edu/library/tables/table_14-2008.aspx]University”>http://statfinder.ucop.edu/library/tables/table_14-2008.aspx) King to answer your question, you are statewide for top 12% and ELC for top 4% of your graduating class, so you can be one or the other. If you are not in the top 4%, technically you still have the same guarantee as the top 4% as far as being offered a spot in the UC system. That being said, many kids in the top 12% did not get offered a spot in the schools they applied and were offered a spot at UCR of UCM.
The difference for the top 4% in the past few years has been a guarantee by UCSB, UCD and UCI if you apply. With all the budget problems this year, I don’t know if that guarantee will exist this year. If it does, you will receive a letter during the application period telling you so from UCI and UCD. You may be able to look at UCSB’s admission website (for 2009) and see if they are still offering the ELC guarantee as that is the only way we new for sure that the guarantee was offered.</p>

<p>kingjoker, the answer to your question is Yes. They are not mutually exclusive. ELC is a subset of statewide eligibility.
:)</p>