Does lots of people get the elc letter

<p>even though they aren’t elc? i got a letter saying "Although your GPA as calculated by the University admissions staff did not qualify you for UC’s ELC program, your transcript clearly shows that you have challenged yourself academically and that your are on the right track to qualify for admission to UC through the “statewide eligibilty” path. and it gives me user name and says they will send of PIN number in a week or something…</p>

<p>My D got one; I guess all the kids whose schools submitted their names got them. I think her school was allowed to submit about 10 names from its graduating class of 90.</p>

<p>schools send the top 10% of the seniors' to the admissions staff, at which the top 4% will be selected. you were most likely one of the 6% bunch</p>

<p>Unlimited is right. the top 10% of each school are sent in. 4% of them become ELC, with the remaining 6% designated as being "on track"</p>

<p>I wasn't in the top 10% lol i was like 11%</p>

<p>then you're in the 7% that isn't in the 4%. i don't see what you're getting at</p>

<p>ELC used to guarantee the top 12% of classes a UC, after our new governor came on board, it dropped to 4% The people that are in the 8% afterwards get that letter.</p>

<p>No. The UC still guarantees admission to the top 12.5%. The 4% ELC eligibility means you are guaranteed admission to a particular UC, usually Irvine (my year).</p>

<p>oo really?</p>

<p>Peppers:</p>

<p>The ELC prgram NEVER guaranteed admission to a UC campus of the top 12% of each high school. It was and has always been a 4% guarantee by high school. The State's Master Plan for higher ed says that the UC is expected to enroll the top 12.5% of the high schoolers statewide, not by HS.</p>

<p>btw: The UC requests GCs to submit the top 12% of high school gpa's based on HS formulas, and then UC recalculates them based on UC formulas.</p>

<p>^I'm not going to go dig up anything about that (its Friday night). It's 4% now, that's all that matters.</p>

<p>ELC specifically is the top 4% (or so, sometimes a few students below 4% will get in) of your high school's class. More info [url=<a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html%5Dhere%5B/url"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html]here[/url&lt;/a&gt;].&lt;/p>

<p>Different UCs have different stances on ELC. I'm sure Berkeley and UCLA (and most likely UCSD as well) don't offer guaranteed admission (btw: if you're accepted to _<strong><em>, you still have to apply - just as long as you list _</em></strong> as on of the UCs you're applying to, they'll accept you as long as you meet the standard eligibility requirements). At least one UC will send you a guaranteed offer of admission as long as you apply, and you might get additional guarantees as well. So far, my first ELC "acceptance" (with the ELC packet) was Merced (big surprise there), and today I also received one form Davis guaranteeing admission and my first choice major. </p>

<p>Santa Barbara guarantees admission if you apply ELC (Remember, if you're ELC, you must apply with the special ELC login they give you. Sorry if you already started one, at least the ELC app has your name/Social/address already filled in), so I'd presume Davis/Irvine have that as well. If you're ELC, you shouldn't have any problem getting into SC/R/M anyway. In short, i you're ELC, you should be able to pick out one of the 2nd/3rd tier UCs that at the very least can serve as a guaranteed (or as close as possible) safety, if not a financial safety.</p>

<p>Top 4% in a school is eligibility in the local context pathway.
Top 12 percent includes those eligible in the statewide context pathway-There are 15 courses required (11 courses for ELC).University</a> of California - Admissions
There is also an eligibility by standardized tests pathway
UC</a> Admissions</p>