Does Purdue care about its undergrads?

I am looking for a good undergraduate school for computer science. While I have found many, Perdue is one I can’t really tell how good it is. I know at a graduate level it is a fantastic school, but is it nurturing for undergrads? Are professors too focused on research?

Purdue will give you a great education and plenty of opportunities. What it won’t do is hand hold you through the process. Purdue has a superb Professional Practices office. But you will need to take the initiative and talk with them, meet with company representatives, learn how to interview and work on resumes. They will have tremendous resources and opportunities for research but you will have to find the people to talk to and make yourself known. Co-op opportunities, internships, study abroad are all available in abundance but there won’t be anyone walking you through the process unless you seek them out and ask them. Purdue is a place that will provide an abundance of tools for you to succeed but it is also a place that if all you do is attend class you can disappear among it’s 32,000 undergrads and find your time there less than inspiring.

I have found it to be a great environment, from a parent’s perspective. Their communication process after my son’s October acceptance was fantastic–other schools pretty much forgot about us for 6 months, which makes a big difference at decision time. They had a bunch of online chats, regular emails, programs, etc., just to keep in touch. The few times I needed to ask about something I always got prompt courteous responses. My son applied to 10 schools and Purdue by far was the best from a communication standpoint. He’s a freshman there now and I have been nothing but impressed so far.

Ivvcsf nailed it. Can’t believe the opportunities Purdue has provided my daughter. She’s benefitted from outstanding internships, school organizations, and study abroad (leaving in January). That said, she had to work for it. She studied for exams while waiting in line to meet potential employers at Industrial Roundtable. She work with study abroad office, her advisor and financial aid to find the program that woud allow her to complete her engineering degree in 4 years. The school even gave her a $3,000 scholarship for study abroad. Opportunities abound but the student needs to do the work.