Does skipping math courses negatively affect college decisions?

This! But PLEASE be sure to check with your HS guidance counselor to make sure these courses qualify for your math graduation requirements. Some high schools do not count outside courses and some do. Just be sure to check!

2 Likes

You could both take Calc 2 and calc-based physics.
An issue is that at many colleges BC is not really the equivalent of Calc2 - a lot overlaps but colleges tend to go deeper on some topics. I don’t know what it’d be like at your CC. SO you could take Calc 3 (multivariable calculus) but you’d need to make sure that not only can you pass but can get an A in the Calc 2 final.

Yes, I graduated this year so my application was for 2023. That being said, I did take differential geometry so maybe that counted?

No maybes about it. It counted, as I said in my earlier post.

1 Like

At least half of the schools on my kids’ lists did not give credit for Calc 2 with a 5 on the BC exam. Both of them had to retake in college - so I’d highly recommend starting with Calc 2 if you’re going to take CC courses.

1 Like

I think reaching out to the specific college the OP is considering is the best course of action. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get asked this question thousands of times a cycle, and may even have a list of suggested classes
 best to get it from the horse’s mouth. I’d be curious to know if each UC treats the geometry requirement differently, or if it is the same across the board. I might reach out to the least popular UC (like Merced) as you may get an answer faster than at Cal. Just a thought

FYI!!
I thought my friend’s kids had taken geometry at a private middle and out-of-state school (private and public) and their kids went to Cal for chemical engineering, applied math, and CS, and I was right. None of them I spoke to had geometry on their HS transcript as most had taken geometry in middle school (and elementary as one was a homeschooler). According to them, the rule of ‘geometry on the transcript’ only applies to CA PUBLIC schools with A-G requirements that takes public $$, no one else. Now, I’m going to take their word for it, but the OP should, again, call to clarify. That takes the pressure off if this is indeed the case! Here’s what my pal sent:

Thank you for the response. I’ve taken geometry in middle school so this is not of concern.

2 Likes