Does skipping math courses negatively affect college decisions?

I do not know of any that force transfer status on those who took college courses while in high school, but I have not checked all possible colleges on that, so there is a theoretical possibility of such. It does appear that the normal situation is that transfer status can be required due to college courses after leaving high school (though the threshold of credits attempted or completed can vary).

Itā€™s my understanding that the OP has already taken Calc b/c with a 5ā€¦ did i misread that?

Ahā€¦ makes sense. I think the topology thing is interestingā€¦ but as advice to the OP: we all give great advice here but talk to a professional who understands your individual circumstances!

Yes. They took the exam and are anticipating a 5, but scores are released in July.

1 Like

I am taking dual enrollment but my district requires college courses be considered ā€œenrichmentā€ courses and be placed on a separate transcript in order for them to be calculated as weighted GPA. I took geometry in 8th grade and fulfilled all the UC requirements for math.

2 Likes

Since you have completed actual geometry and algebra 2 courses (the typical ā€œbaseā€ math courses for college admissions), then it may be less of a problem if you have a selection of various more advanced math courses that may not be the typical sequence.

When you apply to colleges, they will want to see courses and grades from all high schools and colleges attended, even if your main high school does not include them on its transcript.

Thank you for the response. I only self studied for this exam but if I take more advanced classes at the nearby community college and receive good grades, will that show mastery to colleges?

My school offers AP Calculus but Iā€™ve already known the content for some years. Do you think taking advanced math courses at the nearby CC and receiving good grades in them will show colleges mastery/rigor?

I took geometry in 8th grade. Does that mean as long as I take CC courses I will be fine?

As others have said, the more important question is will your high school allow you to graduate if you follow this plan. In some schools, this is fine. Others, it is not. You have to ask yours specifically. Only once you get approval there, should you be asking what colleges think.

Fwiw, mine finished calculus 1-2 in 8th grade through a combo of private school, community college, and local uni. His HS was fine with this, but two of the classes had to be verified by passing the state standards test. However, anything he took above calculus did NOT count as a math class at the high school. It did not show up on his high school transcript, because the school didnā€™t have an equivalent class.

But again, every school system is different. And policies change over time.

1 Like

That clears things up @denon! Your transcript from CC will go to colleges. Do you think you missed out on anything foundational by self-studying for the AP?

For the UCā€™s , your Geometry requirement has been met with the Middle school course. However, the UCā€™s prefer to see grades for the AP courses and not just the scores. CC classes will be fine as long as they are UC transferable and you will be required to send all applicable transcripts to the UCā€™s if you enroll.

2 Likes

Life is too short to be bored out of your mind. Assuming you can meet your high schoolā€™s graduation requirements, if you end up scoring a 5 on Calc BC, please, please, please donā€™t take Precalc at your HS. You would be wasting your time.

Depending on the quality of your local CC, I would take a hard look at other options for advanced math ā€“ you are obviously gifted in math and many CCs are not exactly known for their rigor. There are some great online options ā€“ hereā€™s one offering from Stanford as an example: Stanford Pre-Collegiate University-Level Online Math & Physics | Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies.

Good luck!

1 Like

From what Iā€™m understanding, they took the exam after self studying and did not take the course. Results will come in July.

Thank you for the response. If colleges prefer to see grades rather than AP scores, should I take the AP Calc BC course despite knowing the content? Wouldnā€™t CC courses show course rigor and mastery just like AP courses? Lastly, do you think my counselor can add a note to colleges explaining my situation?

Thank you for the response. My community college offers pretty rigorous courses and I am currently looking into Stanfordā€™s Pre-Collegiate program.

1 Like

Your guidance counselor can explain or include an explanation from you/your family. We did both for an unusual situation. Depending on how big your school is and how well your GC knows you, you can also meet with them and suggest what they might say.

(See my message upthread)
If you take and do well in Calc 2 at your CC, your AP 5 score will be validated with actual coursework. After that, you have a choice of several different classes you can take, all of which will be ok for any college (as long as you do well).
Colleges will want to see a good balance of courses, too - showing decent rigo in English, Foreign Language, Social Science, and Science (+Artistic knowledge/performance: choir, art history, drawingā€¦)

Thank you for the replies. Would taking Calculus based physics at the CC (equivalent to AP Physics C) validate my calculus knowledge? I think taking Calc 2 would be a waste of time since I already know the content.

If you earn a 5 on the AP calculus BC exam, you can take courses and earn grades in more advanced courses rather than repeating what you know (which would look like grade-grubbing).

More advanced courses (at a local college) could include multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, discrete math, and calculus-based statistics.

2 Likes