Does University of Miami consider the writing section?

<p>I have a 4.27 WEIGHTED GPA and about 3.8 unweighted.</p>

<p>One of my top choices is UMiami. I have a 1900(out of 2400s on the SATS.</p>

<p>So I applied and was hoping for a reasonable shot.</p>

<p>But with more obsessing over this school I found out that some say they "don't consider the writing section". Is this true? If so, can I ask them to consider it? I'm not applying to a math major, and I have no interest in math.</p>

<p>SAT SUPERSCORE BREAKDOWN(Highest scores based on two sittings)
Math: 570
Reading: 650
Writing: 680</p>

<p>So can you see why I want them to count my writing section? If they only count my math and reading sections I am WAY below average:(</p>

<p>So what are my chances? Again, is it possible to ask them to consider all three scores if I call them or something?</p>

<p>Unless it changed this year, they don’t look at the writing section… I was happy about that as my DS is a math/science kid. I don’t ever hazard a guess on “chances” so I can’t help you there. But 1220 is a good SAT score. I always liked to compare my DS’ stats to the Common Data Set for the university. The latest posted for UM is from 2012-2013.</p>

<p><a href=“https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/planningresearch/CDS1213.pdf[/url]”>https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/planningresearch/CDS1213.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You are right at the 50th percentile with your reading score. The 25th percentile for math is 630. But 11% of the entering class had 500-599 on Math SAT. Your GPA is on target. What’s your class rank?</p>

<p>Asking them to consider your writing section won’t make a difference. Their admission policy is their admission policy.</p>

<p>My personal opinion (and this is only my opinion and everyone here may say that I’m wrong) is that having a great score that is not required can’t hurt and might, in fact, help. In our case, I sent my DS’ SAT2 scores because they were super high in math and sciences and he was interested in engineering. I think they looked at them. He’s a UM freshman now and received a nice academic scholarship.</p>

<p>So I would showcase your strengths in whatever way possible. I think they realize that the best math and science kids are probably not the best writers and vice versa. (As a side note, my DS’ required writing class this fall was English for Engineers. So they put all the engineers together in writing, which is better than having them in an English class with people like you!).</p>

<p>If you have any other questions, let me know!</p>

<p>Sorry, but Miami does not consider writing. They do not consider subject tests either; it would put people at an unfair advantage/disadvantage. They simply don’t :/</p>

<p>Thank you! My class rank is 15/228, so do you think that will significantly help?</p>

<p>Such a high class rank will definitely help! Good luck! :)</p>