Don't understand how IFC works.

<p>I am going to be a first-year transfer to Purdue this fall and I want to rush, but I see that rush is informal. You can receive a bid to a fraternity 365 days a year.</p>

<p>All I want to know is how you get into a fraternity or catch a fraternity's eye when there is no formal rush?</p>

<p>Only sororities do formal rush. </p>

<p>Around the second week of school, fraternities will start Rush. Due to IFC rules, fraternities are not allowed to start until the second week I believe or have any functions (aka parties) until then. However, not many houses follow this so yes they risk themselves to being punished… </p>

<p>Rush usually goes for a month or so until the end of September or early October. The people who receive and accept the bids during this time will be part of the Fall pledge class. During the spring semester, Rush usually starts a week or two after the semester and lasts till mid to late February. These people will be part of the Spring pledge class. </p>

<p>HOWEVER, if you do receive a bid you are allowed to defer it to the following semester. For example, if you rush and receive a bid in the Fall but decide to join in the Spring you can do so. </p>

<p>The reason why Rush is considered 365 days a year is because you are always trying to “recruit” at a constant basis. Once you join a house you will understand the reasoning to this. </p>

<p>The best way of joining a house is going to multiple rush events. Don’t just go to one and expect a bid the next few days. Not going to happen unless they are desperately in need of people or REALLY liked you for some reason. I recommend going to different houses to get a feel of the house from academics, social life, the brothers, etc. The most important thing to look for is the brother imho. </p>

<p>You may ask yourself, why aren’t the parties the most important thing? Well the reason is because most houses have a two year commitment to live inside the house after freshmen year so who will you be living with? The brothers. If the brothers are a bunch of people who you cannot stand but have raging parties with, is it worth it? Many people will say no but some will say yes. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, many people join houses just for parties which is a bad reason imho. Once you join a house, you will know how it is like to be part of the brotherhood that consists of thousands of people. Bonding with your brothers is one of the most important things and many people will attest to that. That is why people have brotherhood retreats to different places and do events together. While you are in college, your fraternity brothers is your family. No joke. </p>

<p>So what I recommend is be pumped for Rush considering Greek Life is huge at Purdue and go to a variety of houses. Don’t judge a house by its house, appearance and parties. This is probably the #1 most important advice. Remember that these are your brothers forever. </p>

<p>Boiler Up!</p>