Dorm Housing at the Brand-New East Edge Apartments

<p>I’m sorry, I don’t know. They have satellite television, but I don’t know the provider. There is wifi in the apartments and ethernet. We’ve been too busy trying to unpack and get the unit ready for her roommate to move in tomorrow morning since she was unable to wait on Wednesday.</p>

<p>I just read some of my previous posts…sorry guys for the obvious spelling and grammar errors and for not responding back to some of your questions. I was posting from my phone and between my eyesight and the fact that my phone is generally smarter than me…well…I hate auto correct. I wish it would correct my mistakes and not the things I got right…lol. I also apologize for any negative vibes. My phone should really have a warning about not using it to post while under the influence of “angry protective stressed out mother who hasn’t slept in two days and just drove over five hours hormones”…lol.</p>

<p>It was really crazy around here and it was difficult to believe what was going on. While I was trying to process what was happening, I also was trying to figure out logistics for my daughter, myself, and her belongings after a long predawn drive while also making those of you who have children moving here aware of the situation as it was happening. The atmosphere around here was pretty charged at times and most people were understandably upset due to the inconvenience, uncertainty, and lack of communication. It was awful, but it wasn’t helped by a few going off the deep end. East Edge seems to have a plan now and appears to be working to the best of their ability to get these students taken care of and moved in as soon as possible. </p>

<p>Hokie, the one thing I enjoyed during this turmoil was listening to the Million Dollar Band practicing down the street amidst the chaos. :)</p>

<p>A special thanks to each of you for your support, advice, words of encouragement, and understanding. I’m a “fixer” by nature and felt quite helpless in this situation. Reading your comments helped and encouraged me to continue posting as new information was gleaned. It provided a needed outlet as it allowed me to do “something” instead of nothing even though it couldn’t resolve the situation.</p>

<p>I drove around the building this evening to the trash receptacle and saw exactly what the EDR property team explained as part of the problem. How crazy is this…I have been stalking the tower cam every day for so long that I found myself checking it twice today and I’m sitting right here…duh! Anyway, as they explained, there are areas of the property (in back) where construction could pose an issue in an emergency situation. I saw these areas on my trip to the trash receptacle today. I was aware of the fences around building 3, but I’d never ventured to the back. As it was explained to us, that is part of the reason for the delays since the fire chief apparently couldn’t approve of it. Additionally, we were told there was some sort of issue with the fire alarms which was complicated by building 3 not being complete. These were some of the issues for which they were trying to find a solution and resulted in the “human fire alarms” who are extremely nice I might add. I’ve noticed dramatic changes since Wednesday as much work is being done. Hopefully everyone’s building and unit will be ready soon and they can enjoy an uneventful move in. :)</p>

<p>I’m sure you’ll be happy when you see the community. I hope the residents will think of it as their shared community and keep it looking nice.</p>

<p>A word to new residents: As tempting as it, do not take your laptop out to your patio and relax in your chair. If a resident above you doesn’t know better and decides to dump his or her mop bucket from their balcony you will get wet…yuck! If you are a resident with a balcony, please…please…don’t dump the mop bucket from your balcony. :slight_smile: No hard feelings. :slight_smile: Thankfully this was a miss. :)</p>

<p>Oh, I forgot…</p>

<p>@ Malani,</p>

<p>Sincere thanks for reminding me that although as parents we want everything to be perfect for our children, life just isn’t that way and it isn’t supposed to be so…stinks, huh? Guilty as charged. :slight_smile: Momma tigers rarely sleep, but I’m done roaring for now. Although it was a huge inconvenience for us and many others, I do believe they are trying to do the right thing now.</p>

<p>Mike, random, vlines, shamrock, and others whose names elude my sleep deprived mind…thanks to you also and I’m sorry if I left anyone out.</p>

<p>And if you are out there (and I know you are) my fellow orange loathing friend who never fails to make me laugh…we found some tickets and didn’t have to break the bank to get them thanks to your expertise. You’re the best! :slight_smile: Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>bamagirls - I’m so glad this is coming together. I have not heard from my son since the phone call late the other night. He is focused on one thing, the MBD. He wants to do a great job and I know its exhausting. When I was visiting last year, I went to the band practice field to hear them. Its amazing how different they sound on Butler field compared to the stadium.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all your hard work. I so wish I was there to help my son but I’m in the process of moving my daughter to Montana for school. I guess its time I learn to let him ‘fly’. Enjoy your time in T-Town. Hokie</p>

<p>They sounded great, Hokie. Let me know if he needs anything while I’m here. I’d be happy to take him under wing. :)</p>

<p>It’s raining here, so anyone who is moving in should remember their rainwear.</p>

<p>BTW…I’m not upset about being reposted on FB. My daughter was reading the comments aloud and when she read that one she paused, looked at me, and burst into laughter… “Mom, that sounds just like you!” She knows me too well I suppose.:)</p>

<p>Erholl,</p>

<p>I hope you enjoy these last moments with your daughter and know that she will be moving into her gorgeous new home in a few short days. There was work going on again late last night and I can hear them working this morning.:)</p>

<p>Bamagirl - Thanks for everything. Even though my S is in a dorm, I liked knowing what was going on with this situation. Your comments today about the feelings you were having during this all of this brought tears to my eyes becuase I know how much we all love our kids and want everything to work out perfectly for them and how hard it is when that doesn’t happen. It is good to know that things did eventually turn out and that you feel now that everyone’s heart is in the right place. :-)</p>

<p>Thank you! That’s great news! She can hardly wait! Everything is packed and ready by the door. Haha It’s great to have the updates for all of us anxiously waiting on hold. </p>

<p>Also, I saw the Crimson Ride schedule for East Edge is posted on the website now. It says south lawn so will it come into the complex? Or do you know where that stop will be? We thought it would be out on Bryant. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf[/url]”>http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, did you say we don’t need to bring an Ethernet? They needed one for dorms last year so we have it. The suggested packing lists East Edge put on fb includes an Ethernet. So I wasn’t sure.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think we all have the over 40 issues with our cell phones! I wish that everything I posted from my cell phone had a disclaimer in the beginning! Not having spell check for the posts we make on CC does not help me either. </p>

<p>And I thought you kept it together rather well considering what you were going through. I wish I was there to help, as I am a “fixer” too. But the only help I may have been would have been acting as a human fire alarm!! BTW…are they still doing that, or are the alarms up and running?</p>

<p>Bamagirl & Proudmama-
I agree! As parents we want life to be perfect at times for our kids. We have used this situation as another learning tool for our kids. Life isn’t perfect but we have to take it as it comes and do our best to get through it. And recognize we are all human and our expectations can outweigh reality at times. Life is hard and it’s not always going to be fair. As parents, we know that and it’s our job to protect our kids, help them, love them and always be their advocates when they need us. And prayer covers it all! </p>

<p>We are so thankful there is light at the end of this difficult tunnel. We do feel like it will be a great living environment and so close to school.</p>

<p>Proudmama,</p>

<p>What a sweet comment…thanks. Yeah, we were really stuck there for a while…kind of felt like we were homeless and all of our “stuff” was being held hostage…lol.</p>

<p>bamagirls,</p>

<p>No need to apologize for anything. I think you kept a more than appropriate attitude and did a great job of being all of our eyes on site.</p>

<p>LOL at your mop water warning, but wondering if that means that we should anticipate needing to do some cleaning during move-in.</p>

<p>That’s pretty likely, randomparent, although some have reported their’s were clean. My daughter’s was used as a storage unit for cabinetry, and we were not amused by the dirty floors. The carpet was clean in the bedrooms, but the hardwood laminate was several shades lighter than it is now. Apparently the upstairs residents were also cleaning…lol.</p>

<p>My mission for today is to have this toy washing machine swapped out for the one that is supposed to be in here. I’m guessing the one in here was for a small studio. All of the units are not finished the same, nor do they have the same types of appliances…this one’s gotta go…lol. It’s a stacking front load, which it is supposed to be, but it is teeny tiny. It is supposed to be full size like the unit across from us. It holds like two towels, a couple of hand towels, and some wash cloths. We’ve washed the same two towels twice, but we cannot spin them or it walks across the floor even though it is level. A man told me this morning he’d look into it shortly. This is my mission for today…you’re going down washing machine! :)</p>

<p>The washing machine and I have become very well acquainted…sort of like getting to know your enemies…lol…and i have a question. This machine says cold, tap cold, warm, hot, and sanitize. I understand the warm, hot, sanitize, but cold and tap cold??? How could it be colder than tap cold???</p>

<p>LOL on the washing machine! I kind of feel sorry for it right now… it has no idea who it is dealing with.</p>

<p>You said it, Vlines…only one of us shall remain intact!</p>

<p>If all else fails, I may be forced to bring out my stinking sweaty clothes from Wednesday and see how the washing machine likes it…my secret weapon.</p>

<p>If you are in a large studio what what building are you in?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>“Cold tap” uses only water from the cold tap. “Cold” may use a combination of cold and hot water from the tap to get to the temperature stated by the manufacturer.</p>

<p>^^Most of the studios are in building 3 if not all. If you’ve been given your room number, your building number is the first digit of the room assignment. My daughter is in a 2 bedroom.</p>

<p>If you are contracting through the UA you are likely in building 1 or 2 because that’s where most of them are assigned. If you are contracted directly with East Edge you should have received your room assignment (room number) by mail.</p>

<p>Thanks, class2012mom, for the explanation.</p>

<p>And then there was one…the body count is rising. I’ve just stalked the VP of EDR and the deed is done…I have defeated the evil washing machine and dryer, the ice maker, and the love seat who masquerades as a sofa.</p>

<p>Again, EDR is trying to work things out with the residents. I went out in search of the biggest dog on the block today and found him. He was extremely pleasant and walked down to my daughter’s unit. He has someone delivering a sofa and washer and dryer in an hour or so. The ice maker is now working. Life is good! :)</p>

<p>Kudos to EDR and my new best buddy for the day! Roll Tide!</p>