Dorm Housing at the Brand-New East Edge Apartments

<p>My daughter received an email this morning from Alicia Browne, UA’s Director of Housing Administration offering an “outstanding new housing opportunity.” </p>

<p>I think I remember reading here that some freshmen were having trouble finding housing in the honors dorms. Well, the University has now leased some of the units in the brand-new East Edge apartment complex down by the Law School and fairly close to Moody Music Building on the east side of campus. These units are now available through University housing, all dorm move-in and move-out dates apply, but they will not close during breaks. Housing scholarships cover the full price of the 4-bedroom units. </p>

<p>4 bedrooms each with its own private bathroom, living room, full kitchen (including stove!), dining area plus bar area with stools, washer/dryer in the unit, WiFi and ethernet access. Amenities include fitness center, movie theater room, swimming pool, tanning dome, study room with conference table and white board, big community room, study area with computers. There will also be Crimson Ride service to the transit hub.</p>

<p>University housing cost for a room in a 4-bedroom unit is $4600 a semester. Or you can rent directly from East Edge for only $594 a month, utilities included. Unless you have a housing scholarship, it makes more sense to rent from them directly.</p>

<p>My daughter decided to transfer over, and a lot of her friends are doing likewise.</p>

<p>Sounds like a similar deal that Bama had with The Bluff.</p>

<p>I don’t think the offer is for incoming frosh though…it’s likely to make room for incoming frosh in campus housing.</p>

<p>Check to see if they require Summer rental as well.</p>

<p>Whooops, yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that I’m pretty sure the offer isn’t for the freshmen. It’s to get the sophomores and up out of the other dorms.</p>

<p>The letter we got just mentioned the $4600 per semester cost and that housing scholarship would cover it. Ms. Browne didn’t say anything about requiring summer rental when I asked about availability and subsequently asked her to make the switch for us.</p>

<p>Looks pretty posh. My son put in for the switch. We’ll see if he gets it.</p>

<p>Check it out:</p>

<p>[East</a> Edge - Tuscaloosa,AL apartment community details and pictures](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosaapartmentguide.com/Alabama/Tuscaloosa/Apartment/1776.html]East”>East Edge Apartments - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>malanai: If my son sees this, he and his friends may want to move over just because of the beach volleyball court!</p>

<p>Our son and his roommates have also asked to be switched. I was concerned that moving from their honors dorm might prevent them from returning to honors housing in future years, but was told that they would still be able to return to honors housing.</p>

<p>Our daughter and a friend have leased a two bedroom for next year. The location is exceptional and the lease includes summer for less than two semesters in the dorms. The location is excellent for Nursing and Law students.</p>

<p>It’s also an excellent location for anyone who spends a lot of time at Moody Music Building.</p>

<p>One problem: the beds in the apartments are full XL. Where in the world can you find bedding that fits, in a variety of bright, pretty colors? All I’m finding are what D would say are boring, bland colors.</p>

<p>D wants to match the colors of all the storage items we bought that matched last year’s bedding that will have to be replaced. So far, I’m not having much luck.</p>

<p>We may have to resort to buying a boring white or ivory full XL fitted sheet, and get a queen size comforter, blanket, and top sheet.</p>

<p>google full XL sheets and you’ll get hits.</p>

<p>[Full</a> XL Bed Sheets](<a href=“http://www.bedlinensetc.com/full-xl-bed-sheets.html]Full”>Full XL Sheet Set Full XL (54”x80”) 50% Cotton 200 Thread Count – Bed Linens Etc.)</p>

<p>BBB has them also…often Penneys does, too.</p>

<p>I think I saw Full XLs at Target this week as well.</p>

<p>This is the time to look, stores are getting their BTS stuff in and XL is common at this time.</p>

<p>Also…if you use those jersey kind of sheets, those should fit.</p>

<p>Usually these supplied mattresses are not the super-thick ones that we have at home, so often a regular fitted sheet will still fit (since the total area of mattress top and sides isn’t as big).</p>

<p>If I had to, I would use a Queen fitted sheet on it if a reg full wouldn’t fit. Just a little more tucking in…no biggie. I’ve done that with a King fitted on a Queen mattress since I prefer a King top sheet on our bed. If you sew, you can also just add more elastic around the entire Queen fitted sheet.</p>

<p>^^^Whew! For awhile there I thought we had a deal breaker on the new apartments, lol.</p>

<p>Son says he’s all in again. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Uh. oh. You mean I shouldn’t have posted the link on his Facebook wall? ;)</p>

<p>I think this development is an indication that Bama is enrolling a LOT of NMFs and NAs this Fall. They have guaranteed housing and Bama wants them in honors. </p>

<p>I’m guessing 200 NMFs and 35 NAs - Fall Frosh. Just my prediction. </p>

<p>Last Fall was 182 NMFs and 30 NAs - Fall Frosh. Bama has over 600 national scholars on campus…and likely nearly all are using honors housing.</p>

<p>^I think you are correct, but I am a little surprised that they needed to do this even with the additional suites provided in newly opening Presidential Village. I wonder if more returning honors housing students decided to stay in the dorms than usual.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I think the issue is that Presidential isn’t honors. So, many/most honors & NMFs are staying in honors. </p>

<p>I wonder if Phase II of Presidential will be honors.</p>

<p>With the growing number of OOS kids without cars on campus, many more would now be staying on campus.</p>

<p>Tip…for those moving off campus to apts with Crimson Ride routes…pay attention to what those shuttle route hours are. They often don’t run at night nor on weekends to these apts.</p>

<p>Queen sheets and a queen mattress topper should fit fine. That’s what the beds in the model unit have.:)</p>

<p>Just got word that the boy got in with one of his bff’s and he’s stoked! Now the big question is: persimmon, mauve, or tartan sheets? :)</p>

<p>Seriously, though, thanks for the tip on queen sizing, bamagirls. Much appreciated.</p>

<p>^ Is UA Housing sending out some kind of official notice? My son exchanged email with UA housing, but doesn’t have anything “official” saying he is in and the UA Housing website still shows his fall 2012 room assignment as being in Ridgecrest West.</p>

<p>My daughter has not received the email announcing this option. :(</p>

<p>^^^Just tried to call my son on this, randomparent, but it went through to voicemail. I’ll let you know as soon as I get through to him. I think he just called the housing office to ask about the status. (205) 348-6676 </p>

<p>What he did say was that his new housing assignment had already appeared on myBama.</p>

<p>Sounds like a great option. I know some freshman are still trying to come up with dorm space.</p>

<p>Being furnished is a big plus as well. I am figuring out how we are going to furnish S’s apt now. Wish they had made this option earlier, but I’m sure they have been scrambling for space. S reserved but didn’t deposit.</p>