Dorm needs?

<p>My daughter and I decided yesterday to make a list of the things she will need for her dorm next year (she’s a Senior now). This way we can buy things as we see them on sale or for Christmas, birthday, special occasions. She always has a hard time coming up with gift requests. </p>

<p>So, can you seasoned parents/students help us make a list? So far, she has listed a steamer… so she won’t have to iron. :slight_smile: I’d like to have a nice big box ready to go for her to help lessen the stress of shopping for it all at once.</p>

<p>Help!!</p>

<p>I have a great dorm list that someone else shared with me from CC. We tweaked it a bit but would be happy to share if you PM me your e-mail address. (our DD has not requested one other thing besides a hammock) :-)</p>

<p>I guess I can’t PM yet - I need 15 posts to do so. I will post away so that I can have PM access. :-)</p>

<p>If you go to Bed Bath and Beyond they have a lists of what you will need in your dorm at every school, and I’m serious when I say EVERY school. I would go in and ask one of the employees to give you the lists for a few of the schools she is looking at, and that should give you a better idea.</p>

<p>Thank you MusicalManiac. I didn’t know they provided that and she does love Bed, Bath and Beyond! Can she create a dorm registry similar to a bridal registry for all the out of town family that is asking what she needs?</p>

<p>Many things are dependent on sizes/dimension of your room but…</p>

<p>Command hooks!!!
Slim line hangers
Over the door hooks
towels (wait on bed linens until you see if you need XL)
Wall decor (start collecting favorite pictures of home)</p>

<p>There is a very comprehensive checklist of what to bring to college that someone posted on CC several years ago. </p>

<p>Just google…"What to bring to college A to Z "…</p>

<p>Not for the dorm per se…but start saving the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons…the ones in the mail and that you cut off flyers in the paper, etc. they will take them years after the expiration date on the ones that are emailed to you and you print the coupon or show on your phone they will not honor past stated expiration date…</p>

<p>20% off or the $5 or $10 off coupons really do help out when you can use them on each item…</p>

<p>Once in a while you get the 20% off total purchase, those are GOLD! We used that in B’ham at move in and it saved so much!!! BTW, BBB does a pretty good job being able to order everything at your store and picking up at BBB in Birmingham at move in.</p>

<p>From a “veteran” of a move-in about a month ago:</p>

<p>Definitely the command hooks! I tried the over the door route, but the clearances/tolerances were just not there to allow the doors (closet or otherwise) to accomodate an over the door attachment (in Presidential anyway). With that said, I did buy one of those door shoe hangers (not for heels with my S) to provide multiple pockets to store the odds and ends that would not go elsewhere easily. Hung that from a a set of Heavy-Duty command hangers on the inside back of a closet door and it works well to hold snacks and other supplies.</p>

<p>Buy a roll of that large plastic cling wrap from Office Max. We wrapped delicate items to prevent scratching in transit, and it also works well to keep an overstuffed box in check, etc.</p>

<p>Surge protector that has a battery backup in it (especially if you are taking a desktop computer) as you would not want to kill that epic paper in the event of a power outage.</p>

<p>Ethernet cable for said computer. WiFi cannot be depended upon and the performance is often abysmal when it is available. In a congested environment such as a Bama residence hall, the less wireless devices you can depend on, the better.</p>

<p>Brita water filter pitcher if you are particular about your water taste. I have not found the Bama tap water to be intolerable, but it can’t hurt.</p>

<p>Fan, just in case you get a tad warm or want to circulate air. My S thanks me every day for his memory foam mattress pad. Makes it much more comfy, I do believe. Also, be advised that (at least in Presidential) that the sheets for the bed are Twin XL and not standard. Glad we caught that before we left.</p>

<p>As soon as your room or suite-mates are identified, I advise trying to determine who is bringing what for the common area, such as a trash can for the kitchen. Ice cube trays for the fridge if you are addicted to ice like we are… :)</p>

<p>If you loft your bed, consider a step stool or some sort of adhesive pads for the end of the bed. Using the end of the bed for a ladder to climb is not the most comfortable way to climb into bed. Also, a “bed organizer” is handy for things like Tissues and the TV remote control. We got one on amazon that goes under the mattress and hangs off the side to hold the small items you would not want to climb out of bed to get. One of the suite-mates with my son lofted his bed just enough to slip a hammock under his bed and I thought that was pretty clever.</p>

<p>A small, low wattage clamp on light (Ikea makes a great one) for reading in bed. </p>

<p>Be careful with electronic/on-line editions of the textbooks. I bought a history book for my son this way instead of the hardback edition, but it was a HUGE pain in the butt because he could not “download” the entire book all at once. Because of copy restrictions, he would have had to “check out” and “check in” a chapter at a time. Very frustrating and a huge pain. Buyer beware and my advice would be to carefully consider all possible options for your books in all formats and from all vendors. In the case of his history book, I was ironically able to avert that issue by going directly to the publisher’s website of all places. There, I was able to buy the “full” and “unrestricted” electronic edition as a PDF I was able to install on his iPad and his laptop. If you enroll, consider visiting the SUPE store during your bama bound orientation and buy the books and probably the “clicker” (for attendance) while you are there. We bought the known books at that time and I am glad we did because there were shortages later in the run-up to classes starting (or so I was told).</p>

<p>Drying rack for clothes. Sometimes you either don’t want to wait for a dryer or the items are too delicate to heat. </p>

<p>Those are the highlights I can think of at the moment. I hope they were helpful.</p>

<p>Rolltide90,
Great list, its the little things that everyone forgets. I used the over the door shoe pockets rack in my locker at work. It saved a ton of space particularly for the little stuff like shaving razors and shower stuff.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much. This is all unbelievably helpful. DD loved it as well. I am still wondering how I am going to get it all together but we’ll get it done…thanks to the suuport here.</p>