Dorms - $8800/year and rising!

<p>Yikes! If three roommates and I each paid $1,000/month, we could live in a mansion (in Ohio anyway!) I’m sure the dorms are nice, but wow! I would have a hard time justifying and extra $12K+ in loans for the luxury of nicer dorms, when he could be living in regular old dorms without the added expense. However, in such a big school, I would want him to live around the other serious students. So, my question . . . .</p>

<p>Are there any Honors dorms that are not super-suite? Or, are there living-learning communities of serious students (preferably lots of OOS and non-Greek) that are located in the cheaper dorms? </p>

<p>p.s. My son is an OOS junior who exceeds the qualifications for the Presidential and engineering scholarships, but will not likely be a NMS. I’m in the info gathering stage, so I’ll probably have a lot more questions over the next year! Thanks to all who contribute to this forum – we’ve learned so much already that has sold my son on UA sight unseen!</p>

<p>Wow, that is steep! Perhaps the Blount dorms might be a good option for him. I don’t know if they’re cheaper than the super suites or not, but those kids have to write a lot of papers, so they probably are on the studious side.</p>

<p>Since he is engineering and male, you might also want to check out Bryant. Again, don’t know the price, but probably cheaper than the super suites.</p>

<p>I’m guessing freshmen have to live in dorms, so you may just have to grin and bear it the first year, and look for cheaper options for the following years.</p>

<p>Congrats on his academic success and here’s praying for a drop in the NMS cutoff for your state!</p>

<p>There isn’t enough non-suite Honors housing now, it would appear… </p>

<p>What is in effect happening is that UA is ‘forcing’ honors students to choose the most expensive rooming options. This is not bad if those all received full scholarships, but for those of us who have to pay for housing, yes, $8800 x 4 = $35,200 for 8+ months…this is a very raw deal indeed.</p>

<p>As of 10 pm last night, my screen dump showed there were no rooms available in Blount, Burke (neither one), RCS-South, RCS-North, Harris. There was very limited availability in Pres Village, and Bryant (a few single spots only!). TONS of room in Paty, so that is the only non-suite dorm, I believe, that is left. Still LOTS of honors suites available in Lakeside, Riverside (inc several 4-somes still open). I was kind of shocked by all this, and several kids on FB and other forums are shocked as well, that Pres Village is so full + all of Burke/RCS-S (i.e., non-honors) now gone.</p>

<p>Properties with shuttle service to campus:</p>

<p>The Woodlands
The Retreat at Lake Tamaha (my younger son is here…loves it)
University Village
Boardwalk at Brittain Landing
Sterling Crimson
Campus Way
The Links
The Greens</p>

<p>I would pay for honors the first year, and then choose one of the above apts that have shuttles to campus.</p>

<p>Campus housing is very expensive…my older son’s grad apt (university owned) is even MORE expensive.</p>

<p>Montegut, I have considered that he could just bite the bullet the first year to meet his peeps, then look for cheaper options for the later years. I’ll have to see what those options would be. As for NMS, thank you for your prayers, but I think he’ll need a miracle. Looks 2-3 incorrect answers will cost him $35K at Bama!</p>

<p>That’s interesting, aeromom – not something I’d considered. I was getting the impression that kids were worried about the suite housing running out. So in our apples to apples comparison, we’ll have to consider that the $5600/year housing might not even be an option.</p>

<p>Another exciting and new option is the East Edge complex which is currently under construction. The location is exceptional for both Law and Nursing students since it is between DCH and the Law School. There will be a few faculty members from the Law School living there and the Crimson Ride will be available at the Law School. It helps nursing students since there is no student parking available at the Nursing School and they can actually walk if necessary. We are saving a bundle by moving there in August and not having to pay for the additional summer dorm cost either.</p>

<p>MommyDearest13: The honors dorms/suites are pricey, but M2CK is right. You could pay for them the first year and then move off campus. This is something I’ve already discussed with my younger son, and he’s just a HS sophomore.</p>

<p>Thanks, mom2. How significant are the savings for the off-campus housing options you mentioned?</p>

<p>Bamagirls, I think my son would LOVE to live with nursing students, but that might be a bit of a distraction. :wink: </p>

<p>Momreads, now I don’t feel so bad . . . I was thinking I would look like a nutjob looking for this info so early in the game!</p>

<p>I’m not M2ck, but compared to the cost of a 2 person super suite we will save nearly $1,000 over two semesters PLUS we will not incur the additional summer dorm expense and she will have her own bathroom. The apartments are furnished and will include a washer and dryer which will also save us money and be more convenient. The 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment will only cost $20.00 more for the entire year including the summer than the two semesters cost now for a 4 person super suite.</p>

<p>:) It isn’t only nursing students, there are others. It is attracting many from the Law School and Nursing though because of the location. :)</p>

<p>And I don’t think you can start too early looking for apartments. She enjoyed the dorm, but it is time to move on AND save money, too.</p>

<p>Since some of you are prospective families…just pay that housing deposit EARLY for best room selection/options!
I do not in any way wish to dis UA or UA Housing. The suites are fantastic (as they should be for the price). The room selection process is brilliant, and fair. Just be warned to get in early w/ deposit if you want the most options available to you. There is something for every budget at UA…but you have to be in early to guarantee it.</p>

<p>I completely agree. D has been very pleased with the entire Housing experience at RCS. No grumbling here, just trying to save a little money, spread her wings, and pick up summer housing.</p>

<p>With the new build of the Presidential hall (whatever it’s called) that isn’t honors and the next build to replace Rose, I think there will be plenty of non-honors housing, but they are also super suites.</p>

<p>Maybe universities are finding that by providing private bedrooms there are less roommate issues, noise complaints, sexiling, personality issues, things getting broken/borrowed/etc. </p>

<p>With kids bringing such pricey stuff to campus…laptops, iPads, etc, there’s less of a chance for something to get “borrowed” from private rooms. (I once had a roomie who “borrowed” constantly…annoying)</p>

<p>Thanks RT - Friedman didn’t pop up on son’s selection precisely because that isn’t his college - so, let me clarify my previous posts: there ARE some additional options open to people outside of those expensive suites…but the fact remains: get that deposit in EARLY (during late summer between Junior/Senior year) to GUARANTEE all options are available to you! :)</p>

<p>Having the private bedroom is really nice. Although they are more, D really appreciated having her own space and I agree that it helps keep issues to a minimum.</p>

<p>I think the availability of the super suites with their single bedrooms and baths shared with just one other person were what tipped my D to choose Bama. Since she’s saving us the expense of tuition, I’m happy to pay for the super suite, even though it is quite expensive. There are other areas of the country where conventional dorms are very close to the cost of the super suites - I’m glad D isn’t headed to one of those areas.</p>

<p>we could not put in deposit unitl October 1, I believe. And our was in the first day. Even if you think there is only a small possibilty of attending UA, put in the deposit. You get all but $25 back (I think that is the amount) if you decide not to attend, and if you do attend, gives you a distinct advantage at sign up time.</p>

<p>And i agree with Bethsmom. One of the schools that my son looked at early on had 3 students in a “double” room, and were charging each of them $4,000/ semester for that opportunity. And that was with a hall bathroom shared by many.</p>

<p>You are exactly right about the cost of dorms elsewhere and we also justified the cost as a balance for the generous scholarship she received from the UA. The super suites at the UA were a tipping point in my daughters choice of schools. They are head and shoulders above what we saw on other campus visits.</p>

<p>MY D is a current junior and lives off campus in a house. She is in walking distance to campus. Her house is on streeet behind the grocery on the strip. She pays $510 including utilities .</p>

<p>One of her roommmates is moving out this year. She recently told us her new place would be around $200. She said she was so busy she hardly spent time at home.</p>

<p>Sophomore year D went the Woodlands route. I liked the lease option / all inclusive/ not responsible for roommates lease. But D felt it was to far from campus. She has lots of meetings as well as classes. </p>

<p>Point is lots of housing options. I also like that the housing department has off campus houses / companies that they have “approved” of. They also save you a bunch of up front $ signing up for utilities through their assocoation, much of the deposits are waved!</p>

<p>I just can’t help comparing it to my mortgage . . . and living in a cramped dorm just seems like a rite of passage! (Good point about stolen goods though.)</p>

<p>I will definitely have him apply early and pay the housing deposit asap. I assume you have to be accepted before you can do that!?</p>

<p>NMS letter was in the mail today . . . here’s hoping that Ohio kids performed really poorly on the psat this year!</p>