Dorms

We are beginning to research dormitories at SUNY Binghamton and I would love some feedback about the vibes in each dorm.

There have been a lot of threads on this, but this is the general vibe:

Newing: Recently renovated, very social, a decent amount of Greek life. I lived here. The weekends always had stuff going on, doors open, people getting ready to go out. This is also where the Scholars live, so there are 2 floors or so of them.

CIW: Known for being really chill and friendly. There is a down-to-earth, open, welcome atmosphere. You’re right across from the Union so the location is ideal.

Mountainview: Really annoying hill to climb up or down, but their dining hall is very nice. It’s all suites, so it’s hit or miss - some people say you don’t get to meet others because people are less likely to leave a suite door open than a standard 2 person room, but you also might be great friends with the people in your suite.

Dickinson: Most recently renovated, closer to campus than Newing but shares a dining hall with them, generally social and friendly.

Hinman: The dorms mostly in need of renovation. I’m sure that’s an upcoming project- they have yet to be modernized like Newing, Dickinson, or Mountainview. Still, from what I’ve heard, it’s a close-knit community that sort of bonds over the fact they’re in Hinman together. I believe a lot of international students live here too.

Those are the broad stereotypes but a lot of times the floor you end up matters too. You can end up on a really anti social floor in CIW where the people are the opposite of chill and friendly. There are plenty of jerks distributed all across the communities whether or not you end up surrounded by them or by nice people is really luck of the draw. I would consider location and facilities first and whether or not you want to live in a suite or traditional dorm.