double major or double degree?

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>By reading other threads, some people is saying to declare a double degree would account more credits and courses than merely a double major, is this true in UW-Madison. And is it possible to complete a double degree in physics and philosophy (ie. B.A and B.S) within four years if i take more classes and some summer courses?</p>

<p>A double degree requires an extra 30 credits.(150+) A double major can usually be done within the standard 120-128 credits or a few more.</p>

<p>I’m not sure why you would want/need a double degree- it seems as though the double major would be fine for your future plans.</p>

<p>Since the philosophy department does not offer a minor in undergraduate, would that be worthy to take some philosophy courses as electives and do one major in physics w/in 3 yrs and go on to graduate? One problem is can philosophy courses be taken as electives, because this is the case in my country(ie. 1 major+electives), I am wondering is this also true in UW-Madison.
Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Yes, philosophy can be taken as electives and also some satisfy certain course requirements.</p>

<p>What would a double degree be used for when it comes to the time for looking for a job? Would it give you an edge? Just curious.</p>

<p>I would prefer a dual degree in econ and accting over somebody with an econ degree and a certificate (minor) in accting. But outside business and engineering where the full degree means more I don’t see much advantage in say a BA in poli sci and another in psychology rather than just a second major in psychology–or no second anything. Might also apply to education majors where you need a full degree in it to qualify for most teaching jobs.</p>

<p>what’s the difference between a double major and double degree?</p>

<p>30 credits. More or less.</p>

<p>As I’ve said before, in some instances the student is better off in the end attaining a double degree, despite the extra 30 hours. My D is in that situation within CALS–her two advisors agreed that this was the best course of action. D is OK with it, it’ll take this summer, next summer & MAYBE (hope not) a 9th semester, mostly depending on whether she’ll have to drop any class along the way. But she’ll have two B.S’s when all is said & done, and I gotta think because of this she’ll have a leg up in the job market.</p>

<p>what if u decide to do a double major, do u have to immediately decide which major will lead to your degree or this happen after you have done all your courses (ie. b/4 graduation)??</p>

<p>You can do it anytime. As some planning would help chart the best course earlier is better but I don’t think there is cutoff date. Try using the UW site. It’s all there and it’s good practice to learn how to take care of yourself now.</p>