Double major or two Bachelors degrees?

<p>If my daughter majors in History (BA) and Math (BS) is she essentially working toward two degrees? Or is it just a double major?</p>

<p>It must likely will be a double major, that is one degree with both majors detonated in the transcript. At least that is the way I think it is for the double major in Physics and ECE that my son wants to do.</p>

<p>I just got off the phone with the registrar’s office. I can’t speak for other double majors, but in my son’s case (double major in Business/Marketing and Telecommunication & Film), he will receive two separate Bachelor’s degrees.</p>

<p>Maybe it works this way…</p>

<p>If the majors are in the same college, then it’s one degree double major?</p>

<p>But, if each major is in a different college, then it’s two degrees? </p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Maybe it has to do with whether both majors leads to the same degree (BS or BA or BBA). I’m pretty sure that if it’s the same degree (BS or BA) from the same school it’ll be a double major. In your D’s case I don’t know - interesting question.</p>

<p>As I understand it if both majors are from the same college - for example arts and sciences - then it’s double major. If from two colleges - example comp. Science (engineering) and studio art (arts and sciences) then it’s dual degree.</p>

<p>I learned today that there have been recent changes in this area. Perhaps this only applies to those coming in under the 2012 catalog (I’m not sure). It is address in two separate areas (double majors, concurrent bachelors) here: </p>

<p>[College</a> of Arts and Sciences < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/artssciences/#requirementstext]College”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/artssciences/#requirementstext)</p>

<p>A key point is that in order to receive two bachelor degrees, a student must earn 150 credits.
I can’t speak to whether this requirement exists outside of the CAS.</p>

<p>I was also told when visiting that if the majors are in the same college, it will be a double major - my DD will be Spanish/Biology. If the majors are in separate colleges it would be two bachelor degrees (i.e. engineering and biology)</p>

<p>^^ Yes, and if they are two different designations within the same college, B.A. and B.S. for example, you would choose which one you want to receive.</p>

<p>And then there’s this: [Multiple</a> Degrees and Multiple Majors < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/multipledegrees/]Multiple”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/multipledegrees/)</p>

<p>From the link malanai quoted, this appears the key difference:</p>

<p>NOTE: Students who seek multiple majors across degree types (BA and BS) and earn fewer than 150 hours are awarded a “multiple major.” Students who earn 150 or more hours will receive a “multiple degree.”</p>

<p>My D wants to double major (generic term) in theatre/dance AND exercise science/kinesiology/biology (whatever works best to get prerequisites for physical therapy). So we are very much interested in how this works as well.</p>

<p>I think the key thing is that it probably won’t be accomplished in four years, even if my D comes in with a lot of AP credits.</p>

<p>The link also states this:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication are different types of degrees. </p>

<p>The info on the link also states this:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Given everything cited, I think they meant e.g., not i.e. in the first sentence of the quote block immediately above. Since only 60 credits need to be in residence to earn two degrees, a student coming in with a chunk of AP credit could pull this off in four years without going crazy, if I’m reading this right.</p>

<p>FWIW, in my son’s case, after taking 18 credits next fall, he’ll be on track to accumulate 150 credits in four years by averaging 15 credits per semester the rest of the way, based on the AP credits he brought in. He’s pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Business Administration (BSCBA) and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication.</p>

<p>My D will be applying this summer for entry in Fall 2013. I noticed on the print version of the admissions application that there is a line for you to write in Intended Major. How does the online app work? Is there a pull down box? Can you only list one??</p>

<p>If you do only list one major and that one has selective admissions (such as Theatre or Dance which are both audition based), do you go ahead and put that now even though you won’t know you were accepted until late Feb or early March?</p>

<p>I’m unclear on how you get the second major into Degree Works. The tutorial said to contact the divisional student affairs office or your advisor. Would that be the advisor for the major you want to add?</p>

<p>^^^When in doubt contact one of the following:</p>

<p>Registrar’s Office:</p>

<p>Mailing Address</p>

<p>The University of Alabama Office Of The University Registrar Box 870134 Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0134</p>

<p>Street Address</p>

<p>The University of Alabama Office Of The University Registrar 801 Campus Drive 206 Student Services Center Tuscaloosa, AL 35401</p>

<p>Phone: (205) 348-2020 Email: <a href=“mailto:registrar@ua.edu”>registrar@ua.edu</a> Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM</p>

<p>Or contact Admissions:</p>

<p>MAILING ADDRESS</p>

<p>The University of Alabama Office of Undergraduate Admissions Box 870132 Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132</p>

<p>TELEPHONE</p>

<p>Local: (205) 348-5666 Toll Free: 1-800-933-BAMA (2262)</p>

<p>FWIW, my son doesn’t mess around much with Degree Works (he prefers using a spreadsheet). He entered as a Business Major and added TCF his first semester. That required him to meet with an advisor in the Communications School.</p>

<p>Now, prior to registering for a future semester, he meets with an advisor in CBA and, separately, with an advisor in Communications to coordinate his progress.</p>

<p>Malanai, now that I know you are the board wordsmith, I realize it must be painful for you to read the title of this thread. Because it pains me but I noticed it too late for any editing.</p>

<p>Whoever anointed me the board wordsmith was UNAUTHORIZED, lol. I didn’t notice you’re err in the tidal sense I fowl up ever day. At lease fore times. :)</p>

<p>And, just in case you haven’t seen enough on this subject, here’s another blurb from UA:</p>

<p>

</p>