Double Major?

<p>Is a double major possible (by possible I mean without working 20 hours a day) at UA? I am interested in both the Major in Finance with International Finance specialization and the major in Computer Science. </p>

<p>I don’t mind some extra work, but I don’t want to be driven mad by work either. By time of application, I should have AP CS and AP Econ credits (+ others, do they help?) so that decreases the work a little bit, but only for Freshman year. </p>

<p>One more little question: does a CS minor academically enable a student to write software programs for a business?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>What ap credits will you have?</p>

<p>do you have a scholarship? which one?</p>

<p>Have you looked at MIS?</p>

<p>The international finance specialization requires one to study abroad, which complicates scheduling unless one can find a foreign college/university which offers a lot of courses that are transferable to UA. I know many business students who studied at the London School of Economics. The UA Study Abroad office generally does not handle much of the planning for or have as much detailed information studying abroad at the LSE or other schools where one is directly enrolling in that institution as it does for programs where it directly handles the tuition payments.</p>

<p>MIS would be a good option, but recognize that it might not teach the type of computer science you’re looking for. I would suggest looking into the STEM MBA program, specifically the Business Analytics Concentration, and taking some additional finance courses if you so desired. that said, you might be better off doing University Scholars to get a master’s degree in Finance and take some analytics courses on the side.</p>

<p>It’s very common for engineers and CS majors to work in analytical positions which are more business-focused. Focus on having very strong math and computer skills.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids @SEA_tide‌
Thank you both for your responses. </p>

<p>I will have AP credits in CS, Macro and Microecon, English Lang and Lit, Chinese Lang, Stat, Art History, Calc BC, and Chem.</p>

<p>I’m not actually admitted to UA; I’m just a high school student looking through colleges. But, I believe I will be eligible for most of the merit scholarships.</p>

<p>MIS was interesting, but I believe I am looking more for an education in Finance, yet still acquire in depth computer programming skills needed for today’s business environment. </p>

<p>I am extremely interested in Finance, whereas I like computer programming due to my relatively strong math, cool-ness of the subject, and the usefulness of it. As a kid, I dreamed about building games, softwares, and email sites, but now, I’m much, much more interested in finance and business. So, I’d prefer to follow a finance major where possible, and hopefully double majoring in CS, but if not, minor in CS. </p>

<p>Finally, I do flatter myself as a leader (as do many CCers). I do hope to enhance a current financial company, which I know have had problems with computer programming due to sensitive information. I believe I need the computer programming skills needed to do some small programming myself and also manage a team of programmers, in order to protect the sensitive information. However, this would be one side of the operation, as more importantly, the financial business itself must be managed. </p>

<p>Please advise me on how best to acquire the skills I want and need at UA. Thank you.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I’m not actually admitted to UA; I’m just a high school student looking through colleges. But, I believe I will be eligible for most of the merit scholarships.
<<<<</p>

<p>Ok…so you will a good number of credits…what about an AP history class? recommend that to wipe out the HI and sequence reqt.</p>

<p>I dont think you need to do a double major with CS. I would think that a minor would be plenty in order to do what you want to do.</p>

<p>do you have test scores yet? what is your psat? what state are you in?</p>

<p>there are two different CS minors…see which one might work…
<a href=“http://cs.ua.edu/undergraduate/minors/”>http://cs.ua.edu/undergraduate/minors/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>remember, you can always take MORE than the req’d credits for the minor…so you could add in a course that you would also want.</p>

<p>I’m in CA. I’m ending Sophomore year today, and I had a PSAT score of 231 and a SAT score of 2210 (Math 800, CR 710, W 700). I will retake the SAT in Junior year.</p>

<p>I suppose you’re right about just taking CS minor plus more courses. I feel like there are a lot of people out there who double major, and I should be able to do it. </p>

<p>Thank you for your help. </p>

<p>awesome psat…so score about 224+ junior year and you will surely be a NMSF, likely NMF…big scholly from Bama!!!</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌
Haha yeah, that’s one of the big reasons I like UA. </p>

<p>Also, can you comment on the average UA course load per semester? I think I want to get rid of most of the freshman courses through AP and possibly CLEP credit, and then be able to get a Masters in Finance within 4 years, hopefully with the University Scholars Program. I would say that is a little above or just at one major’s course load. And then, I would add on a CS minor. I hope that is doable.</p>

<p>the avg course load to graduate in 4 years would be about 15-16 credits per semester.</p>

<p>If you are a NMF, and the scholarships stay the same, you will get 5 years tuitiion.</p>