ED Engineering chances?

<p>These are my final stats/scores, and I'd like to know where you all think I currently stand in terms of admission.</p>

<p>I am half White, half Filipino from Northern Virginia (Fairfax to be exact). My father passed away in 2010 due to cancer, and my mom makes less than $35,000/year. My brother graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2014.</p>

<p>Freshman year: Weighted gpa- 2.9 (explained in personal statement how illness/death of father impacted my attendance/performance)
English 9
Honors Biology
Honors Algebra 2
Honors World History 1
Photography
French 2
Gym</p>

<p>Sophomore year: Weighted gpa - 3.75
AP World History (4 on exam)
Precalc
English 10
Honors Chemistry
French 3
Sports Medicine
Gym</p>

<p>Junior year: Weighted gpa - 4.15
AP Calculus AB (5 on exam)
AP Psychology (5 on exam)
AP US History (3 on exam)
Honors Physics
STEM Engineering
French 4
English 11</p>

<p>Senior year: Weight gpa (after 1 quarter) - 4.05
AP Physics C
AP Calculus BC
AP Statistics
Honors Government
English 12
Advanced STEM Engineering
Econ and Personal Finance</p>

<p>Cumulative GPA:
Unweighted: 3.30
Weighted: 3.60</p>

<p>SAT (Superscore)
2020 Composite
800 Math
590 Critical Reading
630 Writing</p>

<p>ACT (Single test)
33 Composite
34 Math
31 English
35 Reading
33 Science</p>

<p>Awards:
AP Scholar with honor (I included my AP Scores when mentioning this in application)
Outstanding performance in the Fairfax/Virginia Math League
Academic letter for having a 3.8 weighted gpa or higher over the course of Junior year</p>

<p>Clubs/Activities:
2 year member of A/C/E Mentors (Architecture, Construction, Engineering club where students meet with architects/engineers and work with them on a nationwide competition)
Science National Honor Society
Member of Ultimate Frisbee team</p>

<p>I know this is very long, but I wanted to include as much detail to help you better evaluate my situation.</p>

<p>What do you think are my chances of either A) Getting accepted into Virginia Tech's engineering program during Early Decision, or B) Getting deferred but then being accepted into the engineering program in the Regular Decision pool?</p>

<p>Thank you so much! Feel free to let me know if you would like me to chance back!</p>

<p>I’m very sorry to hear that you lost your father.</p>

<p>If you only had a 3.3 unweighted with only the 2020 SAT, I’d expect them to defer you from ED, but probably offer you admission in the RD round.</p>

<p>But you are actually much better off than that. You have a very good explanation for your low freshman grades, and a great upward trend since then. And your ACT score (single sitting) is much better than your SAT score, with a great math subscore in both tests.</p>

<p>For those reasons, I think you are likely to get the fat envelope you are hoping for. I don’t think you need to worry about whether you’ll get in.</p>

<p>I also think, based on your mother’s modest income (I presume she has not remarried) and your in-state status, that you are likely to get a great Financial Aid package as well. I don’t think you need to worry about whether you can afford to attend.</p>

<p>Please come back and tell us when you have a decision in hand.</p>

<p>Thank you for the response! Your feedback is very thorough/thoughtful, and I greatly appreciate that. I will definitely make and update when I hear back from VT.</p>