ED to William and Mary or University of Richmond for Business?

Did you meet either music teacher?

Regarding faith at W&M, as @lkbtnc noted, InterVarsity is active on campus, plus there are several other student ministries there. You might reach out to https://cambridgehousecsc.org/ (which seems to be more ecumenical) or to the InterVarsity staff member listed on their “prospectives” page to ask if you can connect with a student who might be willing to host you for a weekend (and for you to go to InterVarsity’s 7pm Friday meeting). I imagine you could specifically ask about connecting with a business major or someone on the more conservative end of the political spectrum and they’d see what they could do. I’m not familiar with what resources Richmond would have, but suspect you could poke around for something similar.

I’ve been in contact with the tuba teacher at W and M and he seems like a great guy! But the UR tuba teacher is a good friend of my current teacher and he seems like a better fit. Though it doesn’t matter too much to me since I will no longer be majoring in music.

That’s good to know! I never thought of ED2. My initial idea was to apply EA to Richmond. If William and Mary fell through, would I somehow be able to change my application to ED2?

1 Like

I couldn’t find that info on their site, so I just emailed them and asked. I’ll let you know what they say.

Sounds like both would work! We have been very impressed with the accessibility of the UR music department, good to hear that W&M has been great also.

2 Likes

You didn’t have to do that!! You are amazing. Thank you!

1 Like

Just a note. Unless I’m reading the chances thread incorrectly, this student is an OHIO resident. WM guarantees to meet the full need of instate accepted students, but IIRC does not guarantee to meet the full need of students from other states.

1 Like

This is URichmond’s answer:

An Early Action application may be switched to ED2 at any time up to the ED2 deadline (Feb 16, 2024). This can be accomplished through the Spider Portal or by emailing the applications inbox (application@richmond.edu).

5 Likes

Awesome. Thank you!

1 Like

Sure thing. They responded pretty quickly, for future reference.

Our Son was a Robins School of Business student. Business at Richmond is an overwhelmingly popular major, with nearly 40% of undergrads studying it. Richmond brought on the Dean of the SC Johnson School of Business at Cornell as their new college president in 2021. This was the same year they completed a multi-million dollar addition to the Robins building. Long story short, business is very much a focus at Richmond, and I agree with the previous comments as an academic peer with W&M.

You apply to the Jepson School of Leadership in your sophomore year. The criteria for acceptance are subjective, competitive but not overly so. The majority of Jepson students do a double major.

I can’t comment on W&M campus culture. Even though I would not call the student body at Richmond conservative overall, I believe you be very comfortable as a more conservative student on campus. Downtown is more like 20 minutes away, and you really need a car to get off campus. Carytown is an area under 10 minutes from campus by car filled with restaurants, shops, art galleries, and bars and is very popular with students. Our Son was probably in Carytown once a week and Downtown Richmond once.

Based on what you described in your OP, Richmond seems to be a good fit for what you are looking for, especially since it is a less costly option.

4 Likes

I am sure the answer is yes because every school that has ED2 emails you relentlessly with the friendly reminder you can still switch.

What you think of as education is actually big business.

Edit - I see this was answered by @prezbucky

1 Like

At UR there is a CCO group that seems active and includes bible study. I don’t have any other details other than a parent recommended it and said her son enjoyed being part of the group.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.