ED to William and Mary or University of Richmond for Business?

Hey everyone! I’ve posted on the chance/match threads before, but as I’ve narrowed my college list, I have decided on W and M and UR as my top two choices. I’m having trouble deciding on which one to ED to because I know whatever I decide will give me a significant boost. Below I will list pros and cons of each. Any thoughts or things I’m not seeing would be great!

**When running NPCs, Richmond was 20k cheaper, but both schools are within budget, so I don’t want that to be a deciding factor.

William and Mary Pros:

Location and proximity to Colonial Williamsburg
Campus vibe was more laid back and quirky
New Fine Arts Quarter opening in the fall
Top rate professors and programs
Freedom within a strong liberal arts education
Bigger (more organizations and opportunities)
Top business school with a lot of help finding jobs
People are incredibly friendly

William and Mary Cons:

More expensive
Dorms and food are questionable
Very liberal environment (I’m conservative)
Business school harder to get into

Richmond Pros:

Cheaper
Ten minutes to downtown Richmond (more things to do)
School devoted just to leadership studies
Better facilities and top rated cafeteria
More conservative
No current tuba students (easier admit?)
Incredible internships opportunities in Richmond

Richmond Cons:

Campus lacked character (very preppy)
Smaller
Lower ranked business program
While it’s near Richmond with things to do, there is nothing on campus

Knowing you from the side chats, I’d say W&M by a mile.

I don’t see you as a fit with the Richmond student which will be, I believe, for lack of a better word - wealthier, more snooty, preppy, and more party happy ish. Maybe my perception is off.

You’ve dreamed of W&M from the first minute.

That said it’s really a question for your family.

In budget and wanting to spend $80k more are two different things. They may not care about budget but saving $80k may be a deal breaker against W&M to them.

B school rank at these two shouldn’t matter and me personally - I would avoid leadership - at least as a primary subject. I don’t care what career stats they put out. Find me a job that wants a Leadership major. That’s a ridiculous thing imho for someone to major in, especially someone intending business - at least as a sole major.

Remind us again your business concentration ?

Ps - you, not us, have to decide where. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My sense is Jepson is basically an Honors College. I also think the Jepson kid at our on-campus visit said they were dual majoring in Business, or something like that.

Not that this should override your other points, but I think that makes Jepson less frivolous than it might appear at first.

If it’s a dual sure. But if the primary - how’s that for water cooler. What’s your major. Leadership.

Curriculum seems solid tho.

Will you have a car? It’s not exactly walking distance from University of Richmond to the city of Richmond downtown. The college does have some shuttle service…but it’s not all 24/7.

Don’t count on playing tuba as a leg up for admissions. You have no idea how many others applying might also play this instrument. However a strong music supplement as you have suggested might help in this regard.

Students we know at WM also have wonderful internships.

My concentration will either be business analytics or business administration. I think either major would be enjoyable for me and get me to where I want to be.

I currently have a car, so I’d take it with me if the college alllows

And also, does anyone know which one has more offerings in terms of Christian campus ministries? My faith is important to me and I want to go somewhere I can continue to grow.

1 Like

Is there a specific denomination? Campus Ministries United Directory | William & Mary

It says “a variety” of world religions are represented. Perhaps contact someone at UR for specifics.

Protestant mainly. But I’d be comfortable in Nazarene or Non-denominational as well.

Both seem to have a good number. I know at WM InterVarsity is very active.

I’m sure you know which side of the debate I am on. Go Tribe! You’ve been wanting WM for quite some time and have taken considerable effort for visits and interviews. Richmond is a newer consideration for you it seems. I would do your ED for WM. I think you will be very competitive for Richmond if WM doesn’t fall the way you hope.

3 Likes

Yes! W and M has been by dream school since I discovered it back before freshman year. I love almost everything about it, but I just wanna make sure I cover all the options. You guys are so supportive!

1 Like

How does EDing not to your #1 school and being bound make any sense ? Then you could never know about W&M. These schools, to me, are not overly similar.

I do worry about aid and the NPC at W&M being accurate. But they use css I believe.

People don’t need to ED. It’s scary so many kids think this.

But if you’re going to do it, do it to the school you want to be at.

Don’t forget you visited Miami and agreed it’s like a large W&M. So it’s a wonderful worst case.

Oh and Richmond has ED2.

In they’re you could know about W&M if the answer is in time. If it’s a no, then ED2 Richmond.

Early Decision I & II - Undergraduate Admission - University of Richmond.

1 Like

Edit-
W&M passed a five year tuition freeze so tuition at W@M will not increase each year, unlike so many schools. Demonstrated interest matters there though and you may want to register for summer interviews if you haven’t already.

OP has need.

Ahh-sorry. I missed that.

It sounds to me like you slightly prefer W&M. If so, ED1 there.

If you are rejected ED1, you could then ED2 to Richmond.

If you are deferred, then you could ED2 to Richmond, or leave the door open for an RD admit to W&M and simply apply RD to Richmond. That would depend on whether W&M is still #1 in your heart.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the political bent of the student body at W&M – you will find your people. But I think generally it is good to engage others in respectful, courteous debate. That skill is how (or a major way…) we learn to live with one another despite our differences.

Edited to add:

I think these are overall academic peers. I would not care one bit about their B School rankings – they are peers. Both can get you where you want to go if you are willing to put in the work and are friendly and on the ball. Do check out their curricula/course offerings to reasonably confirm academic fit.

Tuition freeze is over

1 Like