EE at UW Madison- Spring 2010

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I've posted this in another forum but felt it was more apt here...</p>

<p>I've just got an opportunity to pursue my MS in Electrical Engg. at University of Wisconsin- Madison starting Spring 2010. I've apped for fin aid too but the decisions will be made in December. I have a master's in Physics (electronics specialization) from SSSU. Post M.Sc. I did a certification program in VLSI Design Engg. from UC Santa Cruz Extension at TIIT Hyderabad.</p>

<p>I have a few queries and I invite those with first hand knowledge of UW Madison (specially the alumni) to address my queries:</p>

<ol>
<li>The rankings apart, how renowned/respected is UW Madison in the field of Electrical Engineering. How soon after completing my MS can I secure an employment with a decent pay package? Will the brand name of UW Madison add greater value to my degree (I am looking to go into CAD tools for VLSI Design and I invite those with knowledge in this area to elucidate)?</li>
<li>If not successful in availing finaid, would it be worth spending over $40,000 per year to pursue the MS?</li>
</ol>

<p>The other schools I've applied to are:
Michigan State University- decision pending
Michigan Technological University- successful
Boston University- decision pending
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology- decision pending
Iowa State University- decision pending</p>

<p>Cheers,
Varun</p>

<p>Of the schools listed UW has more prestige of schools in the US. A US degree will be more useful in the US. A lot depends on where you plan to live and work. My native of northern India husband just looked at this as I began posting and commented on you spending time in the frigid north- another consideration. Is the price tag worth it? You are the one who knows your future plans. I would go where I got funding for grad school.</p>

<p>Hi Wis75,</p>

<p>Yes, finaid is crucial for graduate education (especially for an international student) and I too would make a final call after considering both the school standing and the aid. The friggin climate of WI shouldn’t be an issue as I’m a winter lover and am eager to be in such a place…[;)]</p>

<p>Thank you for your insights…</p>