Electric Scooter on campus

<p>I was wondering does anyone at UA use the electric scooter to get from class to class? Is it a good idea considering how big and crowded the campus is?</p>

<p>I don’t use them, but I’ve seen a couple students who do. It’s not necessary at all. If you don’t want to walk a bicycle will suffice.</p>

<p>yeah im going to do the bama bikes program there. It sounds so simple, and since on occasions i only have 10 minutes between classes across campus, it will make things faster.</p>

<p>If you get a scooter, you would have to register it with parking services since it’s a motorized vehicle. You would also only be able to park it on campus in designated motorcycle parking spaces (can’t park it next to bike racks anymore). Better to just get a bike or walk.</p>

<p>^</p>

<p>yeah- saw very few of those spaces when I went on campus recently, but my dorm has vertical bike racks outside, so I’ll probably just go with the BamaBikes option.</p>

<p>Bumping this post up because we are weighing the pros and cons of D keeping a car on campus this fall. We’re leaning towards leaving her bike instead.
The Bama campus seems very bicycle friendly. I can’t imagine D really missing having a car especially with the Zip car available in a pinch. . .any thoughts or experiences on 4 wheels vs 2?</p>

<p>my DD will be taking a car. to me the campus is small enough that you can probably easily walk from place to place. at bigger campuses, a bike is more necessary, but at alabama, maybe, not so much.</p>

<p>When you’re on campus, you rarely need your car. My kids mention that they rarely have to drive anywhere. </p>

<p>However, I do think that the school needs to increase its perimeter Crimson Ride bus route times to the Rec Center on weekends. One Sunday night my son took the CR to the rec center, but when he left, the bus route had already ended, so he walked back. Yes, he could have called 348-RIDE, but he didn’t think about it. Plus, as a guy, he said he would have felt weird calling it (he thinks it’s for girls…)</p>

<p>The 348-RIDE (7433) is a free service that will transport you between locations on campus or between nearby residences and campus. Service is available when Crimson Ride Buses are not operating. </p>

<p>I think it’s ok for a child to have a car on campus with a few rules, like…do not lend it to ANYONE. And, use it responsibly or it will stay home in future semesters.</p>

<p>did not know about the 348 RIDE - thanks!</p>

<p>M2ck, that’s funny that your son thinks 348-RIDE is for girls. Normally, it’s quicker to walk than to wait for the 348-Ride van, but there are times when it’s worth the wait. </p>

<p>According to UA, Alabama law says that motorized scooters are vehicles and thus need a parking permit and cannot be brought into dorms like bikes can. One is also not supposed to ride their bike on the sidewalk.</p>

<p>I myself either walk or take the Crimson Ride. It’d be nice to have a car so that you’re not depending on others for a ride off-campus though.</p>

<p>DS will be bringing a car this Fall. Did fine without one this year but the whole “just catch a ride with someone” thing is easier said than done at times. Will be useful for his off-campus art store runs, Costco… eventually making some runs to our Florida place on breaks etc. Will see how it goes.</p>

<p>Son has found his bike to be a lifesaver in getting between classes. He also brings the bike into his room at the end of the day. We looked at buying from Target or Walmart but was not happy with the quality. He ended up getting one from the The Bike Shop on Hackberry Lane; so far he’s been pleased with the service. I don’t think he would get much use of a car on campus and the extra expense (parking fee, gas, etc) for the rare occasion he goes off campus would certainly be a waste of money.</p>

<p>what is the Bamabikes option?</p>