Eligibility in Local Context (ELC)

<p>So earlier this year I got ELC (and it says so on my UC application). When applying, I only selected two universities, Davis and Berkeley. I don’t really want to go far from my home (I live in Sacramento) because my mother is quite sick, so I chose Davis and Berkeley. I thought I would get into Davis because my stats fit perfectly, GPA, SAT, etc. In addition I am a first-generation, minority coming from a poor household so I thought that would help me. Unfortunately I am wait-listed. I underestimated the competition for my major (Biochemistry). So now I’m a bit worried, because Davis is an amazing school, and being a UC, going there would have helped me in my post-undergrad endeavors. Now it’s all down to Berkeley (I applied to the local State-School, Sacramento State, but I’d rather go to a UC, although they do have a good chemistry program). So what happens if I get denied from Berkeley? What happens to my ELC? Doesn’t that kick-in somehow?</p>

<p>When my daughter applied to colleges in 2007…the UCs contacted her to let her know that if she applied to that UC, she would be given automatic admission. Davis was one of those schools, Cal was not. Did you receive a notice from any UC offering you a place in their freshman class should you choose to apply? If so, those were the only true “safeties” you had.
As you only applied to 2 UCs, hopefully Cal offers you admission, or Davis takes you off their waitlist. You might check in with your counselor, and ask for advice as to what you can do to get off the Davis waitlist.
I hope this helps. Good luck!
~APOL</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I did not receive a notice of that sort… I really hope Cal offers me admission. However, if they do not, how would I go about this ELC thing, who would I contact?</p>

<p>I thought that UC Merced was the fallback for the eligible pool. My D has received emails from Merced letting her know she qualifies yet she did not apply there. She was not ELC though, she was eligible in the statewide context being in the top 9%.</p>

<p>Identification as ELC does not necessarily mean you will be accepted to the UC of your first or even second choice. Typically it applies to UCs that do not have high number of applicantions-ie UC Merced. I do not know which UCs were offering those types of ELC guarantees this year-your counselor may know.
However, in your case, your options may be limited to just these two UCs, as they are the ONLY UCs you applied to for admission. Again…your counselor may know if any UCs may accept a late application? Or how you can appeal the decision? Or just what your options are at this juncture.
From what I have seen on CC, the admissions for UC Davis was especially tough. I wish you the best of luck. You have worked hard, and I am hopeful for you.
~APOL-a Mum</p>