Emerson v. Ithaca v. Chapman v. UNCSA for Film

I can only speak to the grads I know. My son got a job. Two of the tech theater grads (design and production) got very recognized jobs.

I don’t know about film.

3 Likes

The new dorms are really, really nice. The old ones were definitely industrial and old and bugs and bees were a significnat issue. The other thing about the meal plan and food service at UNCSA is that the meal plan is radically cheaper than those at other schools. The new dorms are not but the meal plan is about 60% what I am seeing at the LACs S24 is looking at.
Going out there is not expensive (even the fancy restaurant they frequent in town-Sweetpotatoes is cheap by NYC and Boston standards) and there is not much to do off campus and they have almost no time.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is good to know.

My D had lunch today at the Pickle Jar and said it was fine. It was a chicken quesadilla, one of her favorite meals, so I’m not sure how you can go wrong with that.

Her feedback thus far is that the school is “really cool.”

3 Likes

My D is on her way home from spending her day at UNCSA. We also received more financial aid today from one of the finalists and was told we will hear back from the other school tomorrow. She loved UNCSA and says it is now her runner-up to her top choice if she doesn’t get more aid. Ithaca is now off the list. We’re almost at the finish line. I feel really good now because I can see her happy at either school.

Tomorrow is Commitment Day at her high school. She is going to wear the sweatshirt for her top choice, with an UNCSA film t-shirt underneath.

4 Likes

Did you son decide? We are down to Emerson and UNCSA. We did not hear from Emerson’s financial aid on Friday because they said they had an emergency but we will hear in the morning according to the assistant director. The COA is $13k more for Emerson. We went through the numbers with D and told her that regardless of what else we receive from Emerson, it is her decision and we will support her, including financially. She says if she gets more money from Emerson, she will commit there; if not, she is happy to attend UNCSA.

4 Likes

D has committed to Emerson. Although in the end we told her it was her choice to make regardless of whether we received additional financial aid, her decision was made easier by Emerson coming through today with an additional merit scholarship, for which we are truly grateful.

4 Likes