Engineer looking to fill next semester's schedule

<p>I am a freshman general engineer with a problem. I got A's in PHYS 218, MATH 152, ENGR 111, and ARTS 150 this semester and I'm running out of courses that I'm qualified to take next semester. MATH 251, PHYS 208. ENGR 112, and ENGR 181 only total up to 10 hours and I can't take engineering courses yet.</p>

<p>I have credit for all of my core curriculum courses except POLS 207, which I plan to test out of. As an aspiring mechanical engineer I also hope to CLEP out of CHEM 107. I took three years of IB Chemistry in high school and came out with credit for CHEM 101/111. I know that I am capable of testing out of both of these courses and I plan on genuinely learning the chemistry.</p>

<p>I was able to sign up for ISEN 302 and attempted to take ENGL 210 but the sections for it are filled. I would like to take more than 12 hours so does anyone have recommendations for a good elective to take? I want to take something purposeful otherwise I would just take POLS 207 for the easy A. I am currently registered for linear algebra (this doesn't go towards my degree plan but I took it for my personal benefit) but the course is supposed to be restricted to juniors and above, which I am not. </p>

<p>Should I try to get forced in to ENDG 105? Do I need to take CHEM 102 at A&M? Can I take linear algebra anyways? Should I get a head start on the energy engineering certificate? I would jump start on a minor but I'm still torn on on what I would want to study. I have a huge interest in social justice and agriculture (say designing or managing something that improves the quality of life or helps aid development in an impoverished area) but finding coursework to match this has been an adventure.</p>

<p>To be clear, I'm not trying to be an over achiever. I plan on staying for the full four years and I know I'm not going to earn any brownie points from anybody for taking a full plate of courses. I want to learn as much as I can while I'm in college and if possible, I'd like to do what ever I can to make room in my schedule for research, a job, leadership involvement, the freedom to take interesting electives, or just a bit more free time later on down the road.</p>

<p>Look at your degree evaluation in the under graduate degree planner in Howdy to see what classes you should take. </p>

<p>My son is in the exact same situation. He just completed 17 hours with a 4.0 and is also aspiring for the Mechanical Engineering degree. His advisor tried to get him into an MEEN course (her recommendation), but couldn’t make it happen. She has now told him they can force him into ENDG 105. He has all of his required electives and has used his AP credit for Physics 208. Like you, he is taking Math 251 next semester along with ARCH 250, CHEM 107, CHEM 117 (lab), ENGR 112 and the ENDG 105 course. This puts him at 14 hours in the spring when he would really like to take 16. </p>

<p>My son does want to get ahead a bit. He knows that his junior year will be the hardest and was hopeful he could get a jump start. Good luck getting your schedule worked out. Its a little hard until you are admitted to your major.</p>

<p>Marisa790- my daughter who is a senior ME student would recommend the linear Algebra, I believe, as it is really easy for an engineering major to obtain a minor in Math. Many engineering students seem to do this (and other classes like a business minor) as they seem to be well-received during the interviewing process. Also, the Chem class she felt was nice for her GPA and she, like you, had a pretty extensive Chem background. Hope that helps.</p>

<p>@Marisa790 My son is in a similar position. He intends to get minors in History and German and end up with enough credits outside engineering to graduate Phi Beta Kappa. <a href=“http://phibetakappa.tamu.edu/Criteria/index.html”>http://phibetakappa.tamu.edu/Criteria/index.html&lt;/a&gt; We have not looked at this in depth yet, but it seems possible with all his AP credits. He is officially a junior now after his first term.</p>