Engineering mentoring

<p>Has anyone done this? We got a post card yesterday, and freshman son would need to apply. It seems like a good idea.</p>

<p>What does the postcard say?</p>

<p>Are you talking about the Mentor UPP program? If so, I think that it’s a good idea to apply as it gives your child the chance to further connect with other Engineering students at UA. I just sent my application today and hope to hear back from the program soon.</p>

<p>Mentor UPP is a two-pronged program: Incoming Freshman (and rising Sophomores) are paired with Juniors/Seniors. You can be a mentee (Fr/So) or a mentor (Jr/Sr). It is a great idea, and has great intentions. (Almost every eng’g school will have something similar, in order to “shrink” the school and make it feel smaller and not so overwhelming). The aim is to ensure that students stay with the program and succeed. Mentor UPP can be used to meet additional peers, get support from those who have been through your classes already and can offer advice, and it can just be an additional social thing. My S’s group was very open-ended and loose…so much so that he did not really get much out of it. He had contact w/ his mentor perhaps only once or twice, and then nothing. (The guidelines say to be in contact every week, I believe, and there are a rather lofty list of ‘rules’, like making monthly or quarterly goal statements and such.) The lack of contact could have been because my S wasn’t getting anything out of the program and didn’t attend beyond the first two events (so the mentor gave up on him), or there were legit only 2 events (I’m not sure - he isn’t home right now or I would ask him for more info). I told my S to sign up for it initially, in order to meet peers and to get another avenue of support, should he need it (which he didn’t ). </p>

<p>I think the program is one of these sound-good things that once you get into it, it may not continue to serve your needs as a student. UA has a LOT of these types of programs, esp for incoming Fr to assimilate into college life - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with these programs - they are great! - but, because there are so many of them, I think they are diluted and ultimately some do not serve much purpose except taking up spare time. These clubs also serve to carve the large university into manageable groups of students. First-year students especially need to choose wisely where to spend their time and not join every group/club out there, because quite frankly they all sound great and fun and worthwhile. But once you start school, you realise that you don’t have time to keep up with so many different activities or clubs or groups. Nor do you need the support from that many angles. </p>

<p>I highly recommend you try Mentor UPP. If it doesn’t serve any purpose for your student, then he can drop out without any consequences whatsoever. Others, I’m sure, will have had very positive experiences from it, and can share their reasons for joining as well.</p>

<p>DS is an incoming frosh. He signed up. His understanding was that the program is still very new and as such the spring 2013 semester may not have been run as successfully as anticipated.</p>

<p>DS did sign up for Fall. He figures if it works well, great, if not, then he really didn’t lose anything by signing up.</p>

<p>DD2 signed up today (at the same time she filled out the Emerging Scholars Appl - nothing like waiting till the last possible moment!). I think this could be one of those things that will depend on the upperclassmen you are paired with and their level of interest in real mentoring. </p>

<p>I have talked to a couple of upperclassmen who have been very willing to offer advice/guidance for DD on an informal basis. I like the idea of formalizing this kind of interaction - the more invested our kids can get the first year, the more likely they will be to take advantage of all the opportunities available and of interest.</p>

<p>DD signed up, too! I was a little worried that it would be too time consuming but it sounds like you attend what you can, when you can. Hope there are some CS majors in the program because there sure weren’t a lot at BamaBound!</p>

<p>Our experiences echo those of Aeromom’s comments. Our S participated as an incoming freshman and it was very loose and not particularly helpful overall. I am quite sure it depends on the personality and overall commitment of the upperclass sponsors though. I am sure there were some really good connections made for others. </p>

<p>With that said, I say do it, because it will not hurt. If nothing else, your student will make new contacts and maybe pick up a tip or two.</p>